Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-23-05, 01:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 143.3/143/110 Female 158cm
BF:
Progress: 1%
Default Could i trouble anyone for some help?

Hi i am a meat eating low carber. My friend has come home for christmas and has seen how much weight i have loss and wants do become a low carber too. The only problem is she is a veggie and to be honest i have no idea were to start with her, as a big part of my diet is meat. I would love some advice on how to help her, she is at least 30kg over weight and i feel like a need to help her but i'm at a total loss on how to do so. (she eats eggs and cheese). so if anyone could please help a veggie dummy i can help my friend to a happier and heathy life.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-23-05, 05:00

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%

Deanna, there are a number of things that you can do to help your friend. I follow Protein Power, which allows 40g ECC (effective carbs, or carbs minus fiber grams) right from the beginning, which I find is much easier for vegetarians to follow than Atkins 20g Induction. And for me, if I could get into the plan right from the start, then it was a lot easier to stick with it.
The basics she needs are to:
1) figure out her minimum protein requirement, based on her height and weight and a couple of measurements
2) boost her fat intake
3) cut her carbs to 40g ECC (or somewhere between Atkins 20g Induction and 40g ECC, which is about as high as I'd go in the beginning.)

Here's a link to a calculator that will give her pretty close to the Protein Power formula-calculation for minimum daily protein requirements:
http://www1.wfubmc.edu/heart/Being+...lth+Calculators

Scroll down to the 'Diet and Nutrition Calculators,' to the one that says 'Protein Calculator: Are you eating enough protein?' The people who've used it already on another board report that it's within 5g plus or minus of their PP-recommended protein calculations.

Since she eats eggs and cheese, she's pretty much home free. Depending on her protein minimum (mine is around 70g/day, and I usually get in around 90g), she should divide the total into 3-5 'meals' and aim to get that much protein at each sitting. Here's a typical menu for me...

B: cinnamon hazelnut mocha protein shake (35-40g protein, 10g ECC)
(1 scoop GNC chocolate Protein95 soy protein powder, 4 oz. kefir, 1 oz. half and half, 1/4 cup ricotta cheese, 6 oz. cold hazelnut coffee, dash of cinnamon...whir it all together and drink)

snacks: 1 oz nuts, seeds, or homemade nut-seed trail mix, or 1-2 oz. string cheese

L: green salad or wilted greens with a chopped egg, an oz. of nuts/seeds, some roasted veggies, maybe some strips of marinated or stir fried tofu or some browned tempeh, and a peanut dressing...whatever will get me to around 25-30g protein

D: a vegetable soup boosted with shredded cheese or croutons from l/c bread, or a side of Joseph's oat bran reduced carb pita bread toasted into pita chips, or a savory nut muffin...whatever will make up the balance of my protein minimum and not push me over on carbs.

I vary meals with omelettes and frittatas, grilled tofu, cheese based casseroles like chiles rellenos and eggplant parmesan or eggplant lasagne, etc. I also eat fish 3-5 times a week, but if your friend is comfortable eating eggs, cheese, tofu and tempeh, nuts and seeds to get her proteins in, she'll do jsut fine as a low carber.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-23-05, 05:13

And Deanna, I nearly forgot...
Go to the Recipe forum and search on 'vegetarian' -- you'll get at least three pages of recipes to help your friend along the way!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-27-05, 04:51

Plan: atkins
Stats: 143.3/143/110 Female 158cm
BF:
Progress: 1%
Default Thanks

Thanks for your help. you have given me a few ideas that will hopefully lead to weight loss
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 12:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 144/138/120 Female 5'-2"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Hi gaelen

Can you suggest a website or a book that describes the "protien power" diet in detail. I know nothing abt this diet and need more info on this.Basically i'm looking for an effective-healthy vegetarian plan for my husband. Any help would be appreciated.Thanks !!!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-06, 20:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhya
Hi gaelen

Can you suggest a website or a book that describes the "protien power" diet in detail. I know nothing abt this diet and need more info on this.Basically i'm looking for an effective-healthy vegetarian plan for my husband. Any help would be appreciated.Thanks !!!

Sandhya, there is a yahoo! group that is functioning as the official Protein Power BBS until the Drs. Eades get their website back up. It's located at this web address:
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ppbbs/

You do have to subscribe to the group or 'join' on the website to be able to read the messages, and the FILES section has information about the plan.

Also, there is a new moderator at about.com for the low carb page, and she's posted information about lots of plans including Protein Power, which she follows. If you do a web search on Protein Power, you should get some website plan comparisons, too.

In short, the basics of the plan are that you need to get at least your minimum daily protein requirement. Go to this website, and look for the calculator that asks, 'Am I getting enough protein?' to find an approximate amount that's very close to the Protein Power recommendations.

http://www1.wfubmc.edu/heart/Being+...lth+Calculators

Then, in the Intervention Phase I of Protein Power, you restrict carb intake to 30-40g effective carbs (carbs minus fiber). That is spread out over the day, with no meal having more than 7-10g ECC (effective carbs.) All foods are allowed, as long as they don't push meals over 10g ECC at a time...so portion sizes of higher carb foods usually eliminate themselves from the plan. Hope this helps.

Gaelen
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-21-06, 13:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 144/138/120 Female 5'-2"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Thanx Gaelen,

This sure is a lot of information.I appreciate your taking out time to answer my posts.At this point of time i'm comparing PP vs SBD for DH. We've found some grt info and advise.

Thx again !