Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 09:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 148/148/126 Female 5 feet 5
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default ideas for t.v nibbles!

Hiya all!
for some reason this morning i woke up with a (very odd) desire for canapes!!!! (i'm just soooooooo dynasty sweedie!) perhaps i was just looking for something nibbly yet substantial to replace those old saturday evening in front of the telly carby stalwarts like doritos and pizza...well here goes, here are some that i made up...i'm going to bear them in mind for the festive season when it's legal to eat them without looking like something out of 'Ab Fab'!

1. scottish smoked salmon pate' (from m+s...0.2g per 100g) on top of little pieces of melba toast (made from nimble bread..7g carbs per slice!) - plonk a sprig of dill on the top to make them look pretty!

2. peel a cucumber, remove the watery seeds and cut into 2inch by 1 inch rectangles. spread a little bit (its darn hot!) of japanese wasabi paste over the top and then pop a folded over slice of smoked salmon on the top....i miss sushi, this is a lovely starch free version!

3. large tiger prawns wrapped in slices of parma or serrano ham.

4. make parmesan baskets by melting circles of parmesan cheese in the oven for 6 minutes and then whilst they are still malleable shaping them over a small cup so that when removed they end up looking like a little basket! (i hope i've explained myself correctly!) cut up some cos lettuce so it's quite small and combine with a handful of shredded cooked chicken breast and some black olives. dress with some cardini's caesar dressing (2 carbs per 100g) and pile spoonfuls of the salad into the baskets!

5. slice an aubergine into lengthways so you get around 8 not to thick/thin slices (not including the end bits...whizz them) spread the lot onto a baking tray and drizzle liberally with olive oil. bake for 15-20 minutes at around 200 degrees till tender. remove from oven and leave to go cold. when cold place a nice chunk of mozzarella and a good sprig of fresh basil on each slice of aubergine, drizzle with a bit more olive oil and roll up, secure with a toothpick if you like!

i'm going to enjoy each of these with a few glasses of chilled dry white wine!
hope you like them!
ax
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 10:53
Registered Member

Stats: 147/136.5/125 Female 159 cm
BF:
Progress: 48%

Those sound delcious! How do you make the circles of parmesan? I tend to buy mine in wedges, and would struggle to cut out a circle. Or do you grate it first? I just happen to have some Cardini's Caesar dressing in the fridge, and fancy giving those a go [although I will probably have eaten them before I've managed to fill them ]
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 10:57

BF:

Hi vanilla!
don't panic, sorry i didnt explain myself properly! - the cheese is grated first!
ENJOY!
ax
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 11:01
Registered Member

Stats: 147/136.5/125 Female 159 cm
BF:
Progress: 48%

Silly me - it's obvious now that I think about it . I was picturing myself trying to cut discs out of a wedge of parmesan!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 11:10

BF:

hee hee! - even i'd struggle cutting perfect circles out of knobbly, ultra crumbly parmesan and i'm a chef!! (for my sins!)
have a gr8 weekend mate!
ax