Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 09:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 148/148/126 Female 5 feet 5
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default silly question i know...!

Really silly question if i may!? - i'm on induction - have been for 3 months (lovin' it!) however because in the book it says you can only have "between x amount and x amount" of veggies i have always tried to stay at the lower amount for fear of eating too much (if you see what i mean!) - so consequently i don't think that i've been getting enough veggies! - for lunch i try to eat my salad quota and for dinner my veg quota - how much of each should i be eating (in grammes please, none of these pesky cups!!!)
ta!
ax
p.s when i weigh my veg it has been cooked...that's right isnt it?! (apart from toms and spinach etc of course!)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 11:22

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hi Adrix

I've never measured my veggies in cups, and I'm sure your not surprised. As a guide, have a look at my Fitday entries, see the link in my signature below. This will show you how many veggies I eat each day and the number of carbs they contain. You can also join yourself and find out just how much you can eat.

Most weekdays I have salad for lunch consisting of lettuce (60 - 100 g), tomato (50 - 80 g), spring onion - 2, red pepper (30 -45 g). I also have carrot, but this is higher in carbs as you will see from my Fitday entry.

In the evening I eat a lot of mushrooms, often around 150 g a time as that is just 1 carb, broccoli again 1 carb per 100g, courgettes (2 g/100), dwarf beans, mangetout (4 g/100). I tend to have two veggies with my meal.

You can eat quite a lot of veggies and they are a great source of vitamins and minerals.

Enjoy!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 13:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 148/148/126 Female 5 feet 5
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thank you so much little ann! - ur a big star!
ur fitday entries are so helpful! - i thought i was back at school copying someone elses work!!! - it's just nice to see things in grammes and not just those blinkin' cups! - so much clearer!
just one little thing...let me get this clear, unless stated otherwise veggies are cooked, yes?
many thanks!
ax
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 01:41

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Sorry Adrix

I realised I'd not responded to that part of the question, but had gone off line at that time.

I always use the raw weight of vegetables, I never weight them after they are cooked. You will see that if you use Fitday's own information the calories and carb content varies quite a lot between cooked and raw. This is because usually they lose some of the water weight on cooking and hence become more dense and higher in carbs. As I live on my own, this is no problem as I only cook for one. However, if you are a family it is more difficult to weigh your portion before you cook them.

In general, veggies are not to high in carbs and so you can probably get away with weighing them cooked. The trouble is, what is cooked? Some like them crispy, whilst others like them soft. Hence the composition will vary a lot. Hence the preference to weigh them beforehand.