Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-14, 19:25

Plan: LC Primal
Stats: 290/270/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 15%

Bob,

Yup. And we might be closer than we think to the tipping point. It really disturbs me to think about it, because when the population corrects itself it isn't going to be pretty.

Now as for the issue of the meat industry harming the environment...yes, factory farming definitely is.
However, anyone who thinks that clear cutting natural habitats to grow cereal grains and soybeans doesn't also lead to native species going extinct is terribly uninformed.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-14, 08:47

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

The second I saw the article was from Salon I knew the comments would be full of self-righteous vegetarians/vegans crowing "See? SEE? MEAT IS EEEVIL IT KILLS ALL THE OTHER ANIMALS!!!1!!11!!!ELEVENTY!!!" Fortunately there were a few voices of reason in there.

If there's one good thing that's come out out of the whole LC thing for me it's purchasing as much of my food as I can from local farms. The farmer gives me tasty food, I give him/her revenue, win/win for everybody. And I agree with Bob and many others--human overpopulation is what eventually will kill this planet. Don't bitch to me about how my ribeye is ruining the ecosystem and then drive off in your minivan with your three kids.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-14, 10:34

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Row crops is very hard on the ecostystem and environment but no one cares to complain about the all mighty soybeen or corn or wheat.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-14, 16:18

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

No, they are always quick to criminalize meat.

The problem is that vegetarianism is for many people a cult, or pseudo-religion, and they want to make everyone join the cult.

And most people who call themselves vegetarians aren't - only the vegans are vegetarians. Those lacto-ovo and fish-o are just cult wanna-be's. After all, what plant did that egg or cheese block grow on?

But the Jehovah Witnesses came to my door and wanted me to join their cult too. Neither the veggies or Witnesses have a chance at my conversion.

But anyone who is saying that the pollution of our planet, wildlife extinction, habitat loss, and even global warming has any cause other than overpopulation is just fooling themselves.

But they aren't fooling me.

Bob
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-14, 05:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

If the whole world became vegans - what would happen to farms and the animals in them?? And what would happen to all of those cutesy little rodents that live in amongst crops at harvest time???

Jo xxx
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-14, 10:50
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Exclamation

Folks, please stick to the original discussion about the meat industry. This is a reminder that certain topics - such as population control, religion, etc - are not permitted for discussion or debate here at Active Low-Carber Forums. You may want to review our long-standing policy on this matter .. Why politics, religion and other contentious debates are not permitted here .

It's acknowledged that there may be occasional overlap with a non-permitted topic during some low carb or health-related discussions; for example, health legislation or cultural/religious dietary preferences. Please stay focused on the appropriate issue. Attempts to divert discussion from the original topic into broader off-topic debates (a.k.a topic hijacking) will be removed, and repeated attempts of the same will result in suspension of posting privileges.

Thanks for your attention in this matter

Doreen
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-14, 12:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojoj
If the whole world became vegans - what would happen to farms and the animals in them?? And what would happen to all of those cutesy little rodents that live in amongst crops at harvest time???

Jo xxx

Look at the Galapagos Islands. With no predators to control its numbers, he iguana ate everything it could digest on it's island. So it started diving into the surf to eat the seaweed which is not the best thing for a cold blooded terrestrial animal.

As time went on they ate more and more of the easy to reach seaweed and eventually only the iguanas who can hold their breath the longest and keep from getting hypothermia the longest get to eat. The rest starve.

And after they do eat, they have to lay in the sun on a hot rock to raise their body temperature so they don't die.

The carnivores and omnivores are part of the balance. If it weren't for the meat eaters, the herbivores would eat all the plants on the planet and in theory pass a tipping point where there is no longer enough plant growth to sustain life.

So when you eat that delicious steak, just think of all the good you are doing for the planet!

Bob
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-14, 14:23

Plan: Primal/Paleo/MyOwn
Stats: 187.5/168/132 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan
Yes! That jumped out at me too. But it only served to confuse me. If grazing cattle are taking up so much land that they are actually making wildlife extinct, how come grassfed meat isn't plentiful and cheap?

All cattle spend approximately the first year of their lives grazing on rangeland, which in many cases is land that can't support anything else. Once the cattle reach a certain weight, (usually around 600 pounds), they are transferred to a feedlot. That's where they spend 3 or 4 months being fed the super-crappy diet which causes them to gain about a hundred pounds a month. The next step is the slaughterhouse.

(I'm no cattle expert, but grazing cattle are common where I live, as soon as you drive out of the city. Also, DH used to spend his summers as a teenager on a cattle ranch, sort of like a cowboy.)
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-14, 08:15

BF:

I read an article recently where grazing is good for grassland, as long as the grazing animals are moved around and not left to overgraze. The grassland and grass eaters evolved together and each benefit one another, as long as it's not overdone. And in the day when herds migrated to get the best grass, it worked well. So in some places they are rotating pastures to try to mimic the natural order of things.

When the steer go to the feedlot they are fed lots of Genetically Modified Corn. Even non-GMO corn is bad for the beef.

Corn fed beef is not as good for us either. It raises the omega 6 acids, destroys the CLA, and so on. Plus it isn't good for the steer (although the steer doesn't have time to feel the effects).

Add the GMO corn and the beef get even worse, eating tons of Round-up herbicide, and passing it on to the beef buyer, and ingesting the insecticide that has been put in the corn's DNA and passing that insecticide on to you.

Properly managed grassland and grass fed beef is good for the steer, good for the environment, and good for the end consumer (us).

I only buy grass-fed, organic beef. It costs a little more, but I'm worth it.

Bob
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-14, 08:34

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

I love articles like this, because I'm planning on starting a sustainable farm soon and market locally. No grizzlies, wolves, or pumas will be injured in the growing of my food. I'm hoping there are enough people who aren't going to give up on meat but care enough about wildlife to seek out farmers like me (whether this story is accurate or not - I have no idea if it is or not).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
I read an article recently where grazing is good for grassland, as long as the grazing animals are moved around and not left to overgraze. ...

Yes, I've heard about this too, and it's really exciting to me. I don't know if it really works that way or not, but I'd like to know more.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-14, 21:32

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Grazing cattle poop a lot and walk around distributing it well! It is natural fertilizer for the grass and no machinery is required to spread it. Near me there are rangeland co-ops, where adjacent landholders use all the land to rotate the cattle around so that large chunks of land can be left cattle-free long enough to recover.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-14, 07:34

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello22
I'm hoping there are enough people who aren't going to give up on meat but care enough about wildlife to seek out farmers like me.

This is where 80% of our family meat comes from, along with ALL of the eggs and butter and some of the cheese.

It seems pricey, but on the other hand, it takes less to satisfy. Some of these items from the grocery store are completely inedible to us now, not to mention the ground beef that looks fine under the special lights in the store, and looks like zombie special effects when you take it out of the bag in your own kitchen.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-14, 14:22

BF:

I always buy what I believe to be healthier food - grass fed organic beef, non GMO foods, no rBGH dairy. Sure it costs a little more, but I'm worth it.

I'd buy from your farm costello22 if you sold your food in my area.

I know a lot of people who complain about the extra cost of better food, but drive a huge gas guzzler and spend a few hundred dollars a month on cable TV. We all have our priorities, and there is more than one way to go through life, but I think feeding the body healthy food is a high priority for myself and my family.

Bob
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-14, 21:45

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
I'd buy from your farm costello22 if you sold your food in my area.

I hope I find many like you in my area.

Quote:
We all have our priorities, and there is more than one way to go through life, but I think feeding the body healthy food is a high priority for myself and my family.

I agree. Priorities.