Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 16:00

Plan: don't know yet
Stats: 253/253/170
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question high blood pressure veggie -- help needed

Hi .. I'm a newbie here -- been veggie for thirty years or more and shocked to discover I have very high cholesterol and deposits in my heart arteries -- shocking ! But you are inspirational to me ... I just took the quiz, and oh, yes, I am such a carbo addict !!

Anyone here working on high blood prssure and/or cholesterol ? I'm concerned because I think I need to do no-cheese and dairy, and few eggs -- very limiting !! Any ideas much appreciated.

Today, inspired by you all, I have bought the Heller's heart-health version of the locarb WOE, but it still has a bunch of cheese and eggs, What do you think ??

I am SO HAPPY to have found this board !

Thanks -- looking forward to this adventure ! ( And I'm in New Zealand so some foodstuffs may have different names ..... )
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-02, 10:57

Plan: Atkins --> South Beach
Stats: 219/214.5/165 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Welcome to the board, yeshe. I do not have blood pressure or cholesterol issues, but I do have concerns about sodium for other reasons -- I would imagine with blood pressure, sodium is an issue for you, too.

I try to stay away from prepared foods as much as possible because they are typically high in sodium. Cheese, too is problematic. As a result, I end up eating a lot of eggs. If you’re concerned about eggs and cholesterol, don’t forget you don’t need to eat all the yolks. I’ve been making omelets and scrambled eggs with 1 egg, and 2 whites – I just toss one of the yolks and scramble ‘em up.

Good luck – let us know what program you choose.

Rhubarb
[aka Barbara]
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-02, 11:53

BF:

Thanks Rhubarb . that will help me.

Are you a Zone veggie ? How easy is that ? I could never find any veggie info -- maybe you could could guide me to some ? It always looked so complex !
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-02, 12:08

Plan: Atkins --> South Beach
Stats: 219/214.5/165 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Hi, yeshe

The zone is complicated to learn, but not hard to follow once you’ve gotten used to it. I like it because your first day in the zone is no different from any other day in the zone – there are no “phases” to it. I’m learning to listen to my body and make adjustments in what I eat and when I eat it.

That having been said, while I’ve lost weight “in the zone” before (when my second child was a toddler 4 years ago) I did put it back on slowly after readopting a lot of my bad habits. Also, I’m not noticing the weight coming off as fast this time. I’ve only been at it a month this time around, but the benefits so far have mostly been the increased energy and mental clarity. I only recently bought a scale so I can track it better, but I think the slowness may have to do with my being four years older than last time (38 now) and also because I was on steroids this past winter to treat pneumonia.

As for vegetarian zoning, I can only say it would be probably be easier than trying Atkins, which seems to require more protein and fat. I don’t know a lot about Atkins, but my observations from reading this board is that most people achieve this by consuming meat. Any Atkins veggies care to comment?

I just got a copy of “The Soy Zone” which has been recommended here on the Veg Forum. Actually, I don’t have it yet – my Sweetie picked it up for me last might, and will give it to me later.

If you want to know more about the zone, I’d check out www.zonehome.com.

Best
-- rhu
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-02, 12:21

BF:

Thanks Rhu .. who wrote the Soy Zone ? I'm in New Zealand and will try to find it .. could be very helpful.

I have been reading the Gellers' carbo addicts books which look easier to follow as a veggie .. but Soy Zone sounds like someone is on to it.

Are you veggie ?
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-02, 12:33

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Just a note, guys. I am by no means a vegetarian, nor do I pretend to know what you should be eating as one, but I can tell you that as a WOL in general, LC helps with elevated cholesterol and high BP.

In all but the most sensitive people it is not the eggs or meat (or cholesterol) you eat that causes the high readings - it is the carbs and the excess water. Cutting out eggs (a good source of protein and fat) and yolks in particular isn't something that most LCers need to do. Yes there are exceptions - however these people do not have problems with the cholesterol and fat in egg yolks and red meat - they are sensitive to an acid (arachidonic acid )that is found in them.

I recommend a book called 'Protein Power" by the Drs Eades for further information. You can check out their FAQ at their website for information on arachidonic acid and egg yolks/red meat.

One of the biggest ironies of the low fat / lower your cholesterol diet fad is that the one food with the greatest cholesterol lowering properties is the egg yolk.

Nat
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-02, 19:12

Plan: Home grown based on Protein Power
Stats: 194/174/174
BF:

I have read several reports summarising the information concerning cholesterol levels and the risk of heart attack and I now place myself alongside Uffe Ravnskov MD PhD.
His view is that there never has been a link between cholesterol levels and death by heart disease other than possibly with people having a genetic problem that causes their cholesterol to be VERY high.
In most cases the statistics have been manipulated to support the preconceived ideas of a self serving group of medical researchers, and subsequently the drug companies.
His Web Site is here.

http://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm

I strongly recomment that you get his book on the subject since that goes into even greater depth, to quote Uffe Ravnsky "The idea that too much animal fat and a high cholesterol is dangerous to your heart and vessels is nothing but a myth"
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-02, 20:00
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
who wrote the Soy Zone ? I'm in New Zealand and will try to find it .. could be very helpful.

Barry Sears, author of all the Zone books. Check out the link rhubarb provided in her post.

Karen
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 11:30
Registered Member

Plan: zone
Stats: 156/148/135
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hello All,
I would also suggest visiting Dr. Sear's website drsears.com

for information about the zone, soy protein sourses and omega 3 oil supplements. Thanks to those of you who have responded to some of the questions on this forum.