Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 19:46
Registered Member

Plan: veggie low carb
Stats: 131/131/105 Female 4'11''
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Soy Zone

LilDaisy,
I'm having a hard enough time eating low carb while eating cheese and eggs. Do you eat tons of tofu? Take a look at the Soy Zone. It has a bunch of low carb soy-based recipes in it...
Suzy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 20:16

Plan: CALP, VegLC
Stats: 205/170/150
BF:
Progress: 64%
Smile Thanks....

Suzy...I do eat quite a bit of tofu...I am not the biggest fan
I do eat "fake meat" such as Boca Burgers and such...I am going to check out the Soy Zone though. I have seen it mentioned a few times...THANKS!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 22:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%

Gosh, you two have me curious - I'm going to check it out to, thanks!!!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 20:39

Plan: Keto
Stats: 203/187.2/140 Female 5' 3"
BF:75%/5%/25%
Progress: 25%

I've been using 'The Zone' for about a month now. I have just started 'The Soy Zone'. I really like it a lot and am losing. I'm not a fan of meat, but do eat it at times. With the soy zone, I don't have to worry about eating meat if I don't want to. I didn't realise I'm not 'doing it by the book' until today. I don't subtract the fiber and in doing so, my Ecc's stay under 100 and that would make it a moderate to low carb diet, I beleive.

Last edited by adnil53 : Fri, Feb-21-03 at 20:40.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 16:26

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 192/192/132
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Soy Zone

Thanks for mentioning this, I didn't realise there was a low-carb book written especially for vegetarians!
I'll try it as I find it hard to eat enough on the Atkins!

#6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 17:26

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

I'm not too impressed with the Soy Zone's recipes. Being a long time vegetarian, I find them bland and boring. The smoothies are good but other stuff...not so impressive or innovative. Strikes me as someone who normally eats meat throwing together "zone approved" ingredients, for the most part.

If anyone out there has tried any of the other recipes, and recommends them, please let me know! I'd LOVE to be proven wrong.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 18:01

I guess it all boils down to what you like... I have not tried many of the recipes, but I like the blandness of soy. Dr. Sears states in his soy Zone book that he is not a vegetarian. The Soy Zone is about your health and that is what he is striving for. Not some issue about eating meat! IMHO
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 10:38

Hi again Linda!,
Yeah I like soy a lot, - I'm way WAY over thinking the taste is strange, bland, etc. To me though, some of these recipes are just like eating meat with no seasoning or anyway, something just not RIGHT. Ya know, like when you say OH YES that is FABULOUS.

I didn't mean to infer that Dr. Sears was into meat and that this was just somehow thrown together - I don't recall loving any of the recipes in my meaty zone book, either (I've loaned it out so, just relying on poor memory). I do have a great low carb cookbook that is geared more toward meat, poultry, seafood - you can look at recipes and drool! If I am going to use as many ingredients as are in some Soy Zone main entrees, it better be FABULOUS. I don't mind a dish lacking in flavor if I can throw it together in minutes, but if I exert effort and time...

Okay, good example of what turned me off while flipping through the Soy Zone: Miso Soup with veg stock, toasted sesame oil, onion, celery, mushrooms, shitake mushrooms, cabbage, ginger, miso, tofu, scallion - traditionally delish so far _ THEN throw in KIDNEY BEANS and BARLEY - What the? Maybe I'm the crazy one but when I see veggie recipes like this, and I see a lot, I question the author's ...um...I don't know...I just question whether I should even bother trying other recipes in the same book. I've gone through this with many veggie and "diet" cookbooks, in particular, where I try and try but keep throwing out food! Anyway, I'm probably just being a lazy baby. Whatever. ..

Let me know if you like any of these recipes and I'll give them a shot. I promise
-Jinx
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 16:55

Hummm... interesting. I eat very, very simply... LOL I don't like to cook! I'd rather grab a fruit and some cheese and call it that! Or sometimes I just put some frozen vegetables in with some dry TVP, spices, water and a tad bit of Smart Balance margarine (no hydrogenated fat!), cook them in the micro and eat... to most that just wouldn't be very good, but I like it though and sense I usually just cook for myself, I am happy with it. I hope you do find some recipes that balance the protein/carbs as in the zone so that you can be happy with, because I feel so much better than I did when I was doing simple low carb... doesn't make a difference to me whether it is from soy, cheese, egg or meat. I just don't care too much for the taste of meat most of the time. I have tried mock hamburgers and I thought they were much better than the real thing... didn't leave me with that 'meat' taste... although they are reminiscent of the former! Best wishes!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 11:47

New update on the Soy Zone - I am now using eDiets The Zone. They have lotsa veggie recipes, plus it's easy to substitute veggie stuff in the meat recipes. Pretty cool.