Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-18-05, 14:42

Plan: Just cutting down carbs
Stats: 161/156/133 Female 163cm
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Veggie staples that are low-carb No-Nos!

I want to know what's BAD!

Okay, folk. Getting some good advice about what to cook and some nice recipes. However, I need a bit of information about what I SHOULDN'T be eating. E.g. As far as I can make out, cheese (in moderation, obviously) is okay, but lovely big crusty bread is out. Similarly, it has come as a bit of a shock to me that beans are bad. (Sob!) And yet there are some huommous recipes, so does that mean that Chick peas are okay? What about Lentils?

BAD: Bread, beans, Breaded fish, pastry, pizza,

Go on then, tell me what usual Vegetarian staples are too Carbie for Lo-Carbers.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-22-05, 01:57

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%

Well, actually, I don't go on the basis that any food (except something that contains transfats) is 'bad.' On Protein Power, you can eat anything as long as it fits within your daily ECC (effective carb count, or total carbs minus grams of fiber.) Phase I ECC is 30-40g/day; Phase II ECC is up to 50g per day. So there's quite a bit of room to play.

So, from the beginning, if I wanted a piece of whole grain bread, all I had to do was find a bread that had an acceptable ECC per slice (I try to keep it under 8g ECC per slice). Organic taco shells (no transfats) are usually only 7-8g ECC apiece. Pappadums (lentil crackers) usually run from 3-6g ECC apiece. And there are many brands of low carb breads, wraps and tortillas. I happen to really like Joseph's reduced carb oat bran pita breads, which have 10g protein and 5g ECC per pita. Even Thomas' multigrain light English muffins are okay; I think half of one is only 9g ECC.

Tempeh is fine, but try to make sure it's all soy with no rice included, to keep the ECC as low as possible. Small amounts of beans and lentils (about 1/4-1/3 cup, depending on what your day can handle) are fine.

Small amounts of all beans are fine, and soybeans are fine in larger quantities. Look for Eden organic black soybeans in the canned goods section. And in general, you get more ECC mileage from soaked dried beans than from beans in cans (although sometimes you can't beat the convenience of canned beans.)

Chickpeas overall are slightly lower ECC than some other beans, and chickpea flour (besan) is terrific as a protein boost. You can use it to make crusts, crepes, tortialls, and that works out great.

Nuts, seeds and grated hard cheeses are all fine--as crusts, breadings, crumb toppings, or just plain.

Soft cheeses, tofu and seitan are fine; so is unbreaded Quorn (but watch out for the breaded varieties!)

Hope that helps.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-22-05, 07:55

Plan: Just cutting down carbs
Stats: 161/156/133 Female 163cm
BF:
Progress: 18%

That's great info Gaelen, thanks!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-27-05, 20:16

Plan: Vegetarian - my own
Stats: 155/145/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I'm a low carb vegetarian, and like you, I eat fish. I eat all beans in moderation. The only things I have REALLY cut back on is bread, potatoes, and rice. I never even look at how many carbs are in my veggies, I just pay attention to the processed foods. I've been losing weight very slowly, but steadily on this plan. I don't have much to lose so that could be the reason for my slow progress. Good luck to ya!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-06, 17:18

Plan: atkins/pesco-veggie
Stats: 115/115/115 Female 64.5"
BF:
Progress: 50%

i'm also a pesco-veg. lately i've been feeling in the minority, so i have to jump in on this thread!

here's how i determine what veggies to eat: recognize the taste/texture of starch (potato, sweet potato, bread) and recognize the taste of fiber (broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce). these are very distinct tastes/textures, and once you learn the difference, you can know instinctively what veggies are okay and which are not.

for example, i recently had jicama, which i had never heard of, but it's appearance concerned me (it looks like a potato). when i bit into it, it reminded me of a radish, so i knew, "hey, this is low carb!"

i hope this helps; it probably takes some time to notice what you're eating, but once you succeed, this lifestyle becomes second nature.