Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-06, 22:30

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

If I may chime in on this conversation.I was aware of the problems in Asia. I have formed many friendships from this culture, since living here in CA. DH and I have had our share of discussions regarding this. Actually, I see many similarities in our traditional diets. However, one of the things that make me enjoy this lifestyle is being able to eat many foods that I grew up on such as greens, organ meats esp chitterlings, fried chicken. I have learned to fry chicken with healthier breadings. I prefer cheesy cauliflower over Mac and cheese. Cauliflower makes a great substitute for mashed potatoes. I miss my corn bread but when I get desperate, I can get the low carb corn bread mix.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Wed, Jun-21-06, 19:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/176/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

This is my second time on Atkins, but yes, I lost 35 lbs in about 3 months and kept it off for a year. Then I got a job as a nurse, met a wonderful man, and lost my grandmother in the matter of a year. This of course, blew me out of the water. We as AA women do not in general, hold onto weight any more than other women. I think we tend to eat differently and in most cases, we don't deny ourselves soul food. Culturally, we like to be voluptuous, and as a result, we tend to be bigger than women who don't. As for me, I don't want to be too skinny, but I don't want to be too big either. I don't worry about stats, i just try to do what's best for me.
  #78   ^
Old Thu, Jun-22-06, 07:55

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

LCPRincess, we are more comfortable with our bodies. We rarely see anyone who is AA suffer with anorexia. As AAs we need to realize that the food we eat came out of a culture that was extremely poor. Food had to be prepared in a way that could stretch troughout a family which oftimes were quite large. Now what is interesting alot of our food is also the most nutritious.This is why I did not, altogether,give up my soul food. At the same time this is an all new thing for DH who is White. This diet has helped me to realize that eating is healthy for you. By allowing myself to eat, I have been able to improve my health and lose a little weight.
  #79   ^
Old Fri, Jun-23-06, 05:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/176/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

LCPRincess, we are more comfortable with our bodies. We rarely see anyone who is AA suffer with anorexia. As AAs we need to realize that the food we eat came out of a culture that was extremely poor. Food had to be prepared in a way that could stretch troughout a family which oftimes were quite large. Now what is interesting alot of our food is also the most nutritious.This is why I did not, altogether,give up my soul food. At the same time this is an all new thing for DH who is White. This diet has helped me to realize that eating is healthy for you. By allowing myself to eat, I have been able to improve my health and lose a little weight.>>>>>
You are so right. we do tend to be more comfortable and we don't feel the pressure to be skinny that most women feel. Historically, soul food was eaton by folks who worked all day, so of course, they weren't as chunky as we can get today. Eating is healthy, and being bone skinny, like being too big..is not. I tell you, I will not even get into these weight/ height charts..they are not accurate IMO. According to them, at 5'5, and ideal weight for me is 120 something. My 5'5" frame is muscular and at 138 lbs, I am a size 6...120-something would leave me looking gaunt and make me lose the butt that my BF compliments me on. I am taking control of my weight for health purposes, to wear some of my fave clothes, and not to look like a stick figure
  #80   ^
Old Tue, Jul-11-06, 05:56

Plan: Mod SB / Perricone
Stats: 227/145/135 Female 70 inches
BF:33%/17%/15%
Progress: 89%

Bump this is too interesting to go unnoticed.