Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories > Milestones
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-16-10, 21:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 345/331.6/150 Female 63
BF:Lots of it!
Progress: 7%
Default The Mountain of a Half Marathon-I can do it!

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, since I haven't done it yet, so I'm sorry if this is wrong!

My husband and I made a decision tonight. One year from now we will both be in decent enough shape to run a Half Marathon (or at least finish one very slowly!). We've both always wanted to do this and with all of my dedication to health and his blooming desire to be fit and healthy we've finally made the decision to go for it! We both know that if the day comes and we can't cross that finish line that we will not have failed, because we will have tried our very best but we have every intention of crossing that line!

I consider this to be a success because I've never made a decision like this before. I've never considered myself capable of such a feat but I believe now that I can do anything I put my mind to.

Wish us luck!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-17-10, 15:55

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 255/250/175 Female 65.5"
BF:Size 22/16-18/10
Progress: 6%

All the very best of luck to you!!! I hope you will continue to post as you train and give us updates, up until the actual day. We will be rooting for you!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-17-10, 16:16

Plan: NANY
Stats: 503/405/175 Male 72 inches
BF:plenty :)
Progress: 30%

A marathon is 26 miles so a half marathon is only 13 miles. Piece of cake.

I hope you make your goal.

I think it is important to try things that are not real easy, even if you do not make it.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-17-10, 16:40

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 255/250/175 Female 65.5"
BF:Size 22/16-18/10
Progress: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobiam

I think it is important to try things that are not real easy, even if you do not make it.

Excellent point! "If you have not failed, you have not lived."
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-18-10, 07:53

Thank you guys!!!! I agree, as long as we try, we've succeeded!

We're starting our training slowly, incorporating more cardio into our strength training. Tonight is the beginning of our 3 times a week gym training. Since we're not the best runners we're starting on the elliptical for 30-60 minutes. I've been researching training and everything says not to throw ourselves right into it at our sizes and fitness level or we could injure ourselves. So 3 times a week steady cardio will help us to build up our endurance and then we'll be increasing it I'm looking forward to spring coming and being able to run along the river

I will definitely keep posting! I know I'll need the support when I just don't want to run anymore, but this is really important to me and giving up is not an option!!!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-18-10, 10:45

Stats: 204/150/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Atta Girl!!

All our dreams can come true – if we have the courage to pursue them.
Walt Disney

And because I love inspirational quotes, here's another.....

Start by doing what’s necessary, then what’s possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
Francis of Assisi

Check out this site, it may be another training tool;
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

~ Chris ~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-18-10, 21:37

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I started running at 240lbs (~5'5"). Five months later at 230lbs I ran a ten mile race. You can do this. You can do this at your weight. People who've got 100 pounds on you do it. You can do this because making the decision to do it is the most important step. You can do this because thinking and planning and making it work in your head are 1000x more important than even running that first step.

On Sunday I am running my third half marathon. I will dedicate my first and last mile to you and your hubby - the first because that first mile you ever run straight through will be the sweetest one you ever run and the last mile because you WILL do this.

Good luck and keep us updated!!!

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.” John "The Penguin" Bingham

“Run if you can, walk if you must, crawl if you have to – just don’t stop.” Dad of Dean Karnazes (ultramarathoner)
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-22-10, 19:31

Thank you!!!! I'm so sorry I'm just responding now, my brother and his girlfriend had a baby so I've been so involved with them the last few days! Did you run the Philadelphia Marathon? Thats the one we're hoping to do (we're from South Jersey). Training has taken a back seat the last few days since the arrival of our nephew but we're hoping to get back on track this week!!!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-02-11, 11:15

Plan: <30g carb/day
Stats: 188/183/140 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hey, I wanted to wish you good luck! I ran a 1/2 marathon almost 2 years ago at 160#. When I started my dream I was 40# heavier.

I thought it was easier to run at a little lighter weight (especially on your knees) but make sure to find a gravel packed surface (instead of concrete or asphalt) and that will help impact. A treadmill is good too. Definitely in a year you should be in a place to run that goal. I think most training plans are about 12 miles but require you be running at least 30 min 3-5 x per week for awhile before starting them so you have given yourself plenty of time to start.

Good luck! you will do great and it is the BEST feeling at the end of that run.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-02-11, 19:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriJ1782
Thank you!!!! I'm so sorry I'm just responding now, my brother and his girlfriend had a baby so I've been so involved with them the last few days! Did you run the Philadelphia Marathon? Thats the one we're hoping to do (we're from South Jersey). Training has taken a back seat the last few days since the arrival of our nephew but we're hoping to get back on track this week!!!

Yes, I ran the Philly half marathon at the end of November and I did think of you guys while I was running. I hope you can make it there next year - I will be there. I'll be starting back to running soon (doing home renovations right now). That's really wonderful you are involved with your brother's baby.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-03-11, 17:46

I finally got my running shoes! My husband bought me a pair for Christmas that didn't fit so we had to return them to the mall and I got an even better pair! They feel like I'm bouncing when I run! So much better than my old sneakers! Training is going really slowly right now (We got derailed by the holidays, let's hope we're more dedicated next year!) But we're back on the wagon now. So Excited!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-03-11, 19:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriJ1782
I finally got my running shoes! My husband bought me a pair for Christmas that didn't fit so we had to return them to the mall and I got an even better pair! They feel like I'm bouncing when I run! So much better than my old sneakers! Training is going really slowly right now (We got derailed by the holidays, let's hope we're more dedicated next year!) But we're back on the wagon now. So Excited!

Just remember, most people don't even have a wagon!