Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-06-17, 12:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/203/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:
Default Hello!

Hello Fellow Low Carbers.

I am a (wait, I have to do the math...) 58! year old woman living in Beaverton, OR.

I started seriously low-carbing it last year and have lost about 35 lbs. I got frustrated and stopped last week, but quickly regretted that decision. So, I'm back to start again, this time I am including you guys for support and encourgement.

Things I love about low-carb eating:
Bacon, avocado and eggs for breakfast -
Feeling full after I eat
Not feeling tired and run down

Things I hate about low-carb eating:
No bread or pasta (zucchini noodles are helping there)
SO hard to go to a friends house for dinner and explain why you can't have half the stuff they made.

I have a dog named Cody (whom I adore and spoil rotten) and a cat named Maggie who, if left to her own devices, would most likely kill me in my sleep.
Only the food dish being filled daily keeps her from murdering me, I'm sure of it.

Look forward to continuing my journey here...

Oh yeah - This is currently what I'm doing for excercise - it is SO much fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smtrike.jpg (77.5 KB, 15 views)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-06-17, 12:12

Plan: Modified South Beach
Stats: 207.5/158.7/157.5 Female 5.5 &3/4
BF:
Progress: 98%

Hi Faydra and welcome!
I miss bread and pasta too. I've yet to try the zucchini noodles; need to get one of those spiral do-hickys...
I have pets that I adore as well. No cats though. Your comments about your Maggie were hilarious!
Wishing you success on your low carb journey,
Maeve
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-06-17, 13:48

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Hiya Faydra. OR is my favorite state in the country since it's home to Hood River - windsurfing go to place. Welcome here and I see you started a journal with a catchy name, clever!

As for pasta, at some point you should probably try the different variants of shirataki - not such a good wheat noodle substitue but decent for stuff that had rice noodle maybe. I like it at least.

Love the Trike too!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-06-17, 16:29

Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Welcome, Faydra!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-07-17, 03:23

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome back to LC,
You are so close to Onederland! That will be encouraging when see that number on the scale. Your plan reads Atkins, but haven't read a book. We have a summary here, http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=236482. Sticking to that will help you restart induction.
I think it helps reinforce your commitment to LC health by reading a book, Why We Get Fat is popular, and the Clinic diet in the appendix is what was used in the Atkins clinic. Or the lowest carb level here: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

I love my spiralizer for zucchini and more http://inspiralized.com/?s=Best+beginner+. Trader Joe's sells both cauliflower and broccoli already Riced, fresh in bags. Check the frozen veggie lines for more. Some people swear by those Miracle noodles, key is to rinse and rinse again. There are hundreds of bread recipes here, all indexed and hyperlinked in the Kitchen sub-forum. Also good bread recipes at DietDoctor and a friend's popular YouTube channel. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=470795
It's a pain to make bread from scratch but most are filling due to the alternate flours used, so stick them in freezer and they last a long time.

I have an all black cat named Missy with similar personality. She's a little thing, but mighty fierce if I try anything silly like holding her.

All the best,

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Jul-07-17 at 03:31.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-07-17, 04:17
boopchick

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Hi Faydra!

Welcome!!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-07-17, 08:32

Plan: Carnivore & IF
Stats: 357/294/170 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Hey there Faydra! Haha you sound like you have a great sense of humor (I have a cat who, if left to her own devices, would do the same to me.) Your current mode of exercise looks like it's a blast! I'd love to try one out sometime.

Welcome to the forums; this is an amazing support system.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-07-17, 08:36
Registered Member

Stats: 235/203/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Welcome back to LC,
You are so close to Onederland! That will be encouraging when see that number on the scale. Your plan reads Atkins, but haven't read a book. We have a summary here, http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=236482. Sticking to that will help you restart induction.
I think it helps reinforce your commitment to LC health by reading a book, Why We Get Fat is popular, and the Clinic diet in the appendix is what was used in the Atkins clinic. Or the lowest carb level here: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

I love my spiralizer for zucchini and more http://inspiralized.com/?s=Best+beginner+. Trader Joe's sells both cauliflower and broccoli already Riced, fresh in bags. Check the frozen veggie lines for more. Some people swear by those Miracle noodles, key is to rinse and rinse again. There are hundreds of bread recipes here, all indexed and hyperlinked in the Kitchen sub-forum. Also good bread recipes at DietDoctor and a friend's popular YouTube channel. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=470795
It's a pain to make bread from scratch but most are filling due to the alternate flours used, so stick them in freezer and they last a long time.

I have an all black cat named Missy with similar personality. She's a little thing, but mighty fierce if I try anything silly like holding her.

All the best,

Thanks for those links - I will check them out. I was in Onederland already and then stopped for a week and kicked myself out. So, I kinda already celebrated that milestone. When I hit it again I'll just want to kick myself for letting myself slip like that.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-07-17, 10:30

Plan: Modified South Beach
Stats: 207.5/158.7/157.5 Female 5.5 &3/4
BF:
Progress: 98%

Happy Friday Faydra!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jul-07-17, 10:47

Plan: atkins 20
Stats: 127.6/111/110 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Hey Faydra, welcome to the forum, you sound like you are going to be blast to have around here.

Congrats on your decision to come back. I also tried it a few years ago while off work for 7 months recovering from shoulder surgery, I gained weight, and excuse I know, but it is my excuse. So, I used LC as a quick fix so I would not go back to work overweight. I managed to maintain and then I retired in Sept/2016, retirement was suppose to be riding, reading, and relaxing. My best friend and beloved horse, Charlie, died in early December from a nasty bout of colic. I know another excuse, but I was spiraled into a very dark place, my heart is broken and to be honest I wallowed in self pity and pity pounds.
Thankfully, I have picked my self up, dusted myself off and decided to take my life back. 10 pounds today, I'm celebrating, and you are invited...

I still care for my Old Girl, she is a retired race horse that I used to ride before I retired her, she just turned 35 in April, plus her pasture pal and now best friend, a 3 yr old mini. She is a bag of snakes, but oh so much fun. We also have cats that allow us to live here as long as we follow all the rules they set out. We unfortunately lost our 8 yr old Aussie to AAS in April, it has not been a stellar year for us here on the farm. I do tend to ramble...

Nice to meet you please drop by my journal sometime, I love company, and all the best to you, ttyl