Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-12, 11:10
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Peppered Bacon and Cheese Bread

I’ve been wanting to try out the Paleo Bread recipe on Elana’s Pantry blog. this is her recipe: http://www.elanaspantry.com/paleo-bread/ Well, I finally got around to it this morning. But of course, I tweaked it up front, adding 3 flavor ingredients that turned it into a delightfully tasty breakfast! Hubby and I both liked this new morning treat. I did eliminate the honey in the original recipe, as I didn’t want any sweetness to the bread at all. I also increased the baking soda slightly and eliminated the salt entirely, as cheese and bacon have enough in them. Otherwise, the basic batter was the same as her version. Adding the peppered bacon and cheese makes this so delicious. This bread is not suitable until you reach the nuts and seeds rung of the Atkins OWL phase. It is suitable for Primal diners, if you eat occasional cheese. This will make up nicely as biscuits or muffins, as the crust is very nice on this bread. Muffins or biscuits will only take about 15-20 minutes to cook.

INGREDIENTS:

1½ c. almond flour
2 T. coconut flour
¼ c. golden flax meal
1 3/4 tsp. baking soda
1 c. grated cheese
4 oz. lean bacon, chopped
Coarse black pepper
5 eggs, beaten
2 T. coconut oil, melted
2 T. olive oil
1 T. cider vinegar

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. Grease a loaf pan and set aside. My non-stick pan is non-standard 4½” x 2½” x 10. Here's a pic of it:
Measure all dry ingredients and cheese into a medium measuring bowl, stir and set aside. Chop bacon and brown in skillet with black pepper shaken all over it (I didn’t measure the pepper, but I’d guess about ¼ tsp. total). When bacon is done, set aside to cool a few minutes. While it cools, add all liquid ingredients to the mixing bowl and stir to blend. Add cooked bacon and stir one last time to blend bacon evenly throughout batter. Using a rubber spatula, scrape batter into greased loaf pan and pop into preheated oven for 30 minutes. Ovens vary, so check with toothpick test. Mine took an additional 5 minutes to get done in the center. Remove and cool in pan a few minutes. Run sharp knife around edges to loosen and tip out onto a cutting board. Slice into 10 servings and serve warm.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 10 large slices, each contains:

293.6 calories
26.0 fat
6.16 g carbs, 3.18 g fiber, 2.88 g NET CARBS
11.24 g protein
481 mg sodium
106 mg potassium
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-15, 16:25

Plan: Atkins/combo=My Own WOE
Stats: 405/327/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 31%

This one is making me drool. You have great pics and great recipes...I'm collecting them all.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-15, 08:25
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

Why thank you, Dezerei. Been doing this 6 years now and getting much bette with the baking side. Low-carb alternative flours can be so tricky to use. But for me, so is the photography end of food blogging. My little point-and-shoot Canon camera is much better than I most times with the photography, thank God, as I know almost zero about photography........and frankly don't want to learn the detailed side of photography. HOPE YOU'VE TRIED SOME YOU LIKE!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-16, 20:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163/148/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Thank you so much for posting this. I did use pepperoni, but the texture of the bread itself was great. I can't wait to warm a slice in the morning.