Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Fri, Jun-03-05, 09:18

Plan: Low Carb/Kimkins
Stats: 193/188/145 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 10%

I tried pure hoodia (Hoodoba) and it gave me massive headaches. I took it for about 7 days and had to stop. Personally during that time I did not notice any positive results as far as appetite suppressing.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Jun-03-05, 10:24

Plan: low carb
Stats: -/-/- Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress:

mpooh32,

wow, headaches for that long?

Did you stop eating sugar suddenly or stop drinking coffee - something that would give you headaches other than the hoodia stuff?

Are you trying another hoodia product?
  #48   ^
Old Sat, Jun-04-05, 07:53

Plan: Low Carb/Kimkins
Stats: 193/188/145 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 10%

BSB,

I didn't try another one. I didn't consume alot of caffeine, so I'm not really sure what caused the headaches. But after I stop taking them the headaches went away. Maybe I'm just sensitive to the supplement.
  #49   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-05, 08:39

Plan: Eades - Protien Power
Stats: 165/160/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Default Hoodia Headaches

I got headaches when I used Hoodoba brand and I've heard of others getting them too. They did work for a short while but then not. I've found this to be true of many of the brands. I believe it is because there isn't any way to regulate the consistency of the plants that are farmed. Some may have greater amounts of P57 than others but the batches are mixed together and ground up. I haven't had any consistent luck with the product and I've used three different brands - one from my health food store, Hoodoba brand, and a wild farmed source that Hoodiaman gets. The other two brands didn't give me headaches though. I have noticed that after a week or two of taking the product, I start to develop Pepcis. This is a kind of acid condition that immitates hunger. Almost nothing will turn it off except stopping the pills.-- It is also possible that other kinds of Hoodia that are not Hoodia Gordonni are being mixed in with some of the batches that South Africans send out. There are only a couple of actual farms that are licensed to export and they are under a lot of pressure to produce. Remember this is a slow growing plant. Also, one man's food is another's poison.
  #50   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-05, 11:42
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Has anyone noticed heavier TOM with hoodia?
  #51   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-05, 09:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159/141.7/130 Female 5'7"
BF: LOTS!
Progress: 60%

I took Desert Burn (still use it for "emergency" situations) -- and it worked for me. I'm fairly ceratin that other brands work for other people -- and some of us will see no effect from any of the hoodia products -- essentially, I think you have to try one and see how you do, then go from there -- everyone's body chemistry is a bit different!

And as for the claim that desert burn is simply sawdust -- I think the poster is quite disgruntled and is trying to slam one particular product -- last time I looked, I have no termite genes in me, but the stuff still worked really, really well (I lost 30 pounds and got (and am maintaining) to my goal weight....

And I did try Oil of Oregano (no effect), coconut oil (no effect), CLA (no effect), etc., etc. -- these worked for others, but not for me -- possibly each addresses some need in your chemistry, and if that's not your "problem" then you'll not have any success with it.....
  #52   ^
Old Tue, Jun-07-05, 14:03

Plan: none
Stats: 162/129/130 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 103%

Disgruntled? Well if that's what you want to call being "ripped off" then go ahead.

Tell that to the lab that found little or no Hoodia Gordinii in the capsules.

The only people I've seen praising it are the ones "running to the bank" with innocent people's money.
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Jun-08-05, 07:57

BF:
Progress:

Hoodiauser,

What company did you use to test the product? Can you tell us what the lab said? What product did the lab use to compare to?
For strong remarks, strong proof is expected!

I didn't know anyone was selling hoodia brands here? Who is that? I didn't see any posts that have people selling.....did I miss a post? Are you selling hoodia? Is it HoodiaPlex?

Tried to find HoodiaPlex as you suggested in an earlier post. The manufacturer still has the "Sorry" messgage displayed with no information about HoodiaPlex except a phone number to order it. I did find HoopdiaPlex on another site... what store did you buy this brand in?

This is from a web site that sells many different products. It was the only site that I could find to purchase it. Very interesting combo of ingredients. But I wonder, with only 500 mg, how much hoodia can you get in the caps, and how many do you need to take as there is only 60 caps per bottle. Is this a good bargain?

500 mg caps at $29.95 - Hoodiaplex

What other Ingredients did we include in the HoodiaPLEX formula to make it even better?

Hoodia Cactus (appetite suppressant), THeobromine (well-being, diuretic), Green Tea (fat burning), Magnolia Bark (cortisol control), Glucomannan (fiber), Gugglesterone, Chromium, Banaba (blood sugar), L-Theanine and Guggul.
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Jul-29-05, 19:06

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSB
Hoodiauser,

What company did you use to test the product? Can you tell us what the lab said? What product did the lab use to compare to?
For strong remarks, strong proof is expected!

I didn't know anyone was selling hoodia brands here? Who is that? I didn't see any posts that have people selling.....did I miss a post? Are you selling hoodia? Is it HoodiaPlex?

Tried to find HoodiaPlex as you suggested in an earlier post. The manufacturer still has the "Sorry" messgage displayed with no information about HoodiaPlex except a phone number to order it. I did find HoopdiaPlex on another site... what store did you buy this brand in?

This is from a web site that sells many different products. It was the only site that I could find to purchase it. Very interesting combo of ingredients. But I wonder, with only 500 mg, how much hoodia can you get in the caps, and how many do you need to take as there is only 60 caps per bottle. Is this a good bargain?

500 mg caps at $29.95 - Hoodiaplex

What other Ingredients did we include in the HoodiaPLEX formula to make it even better?

Hoodia Cactus (appetite suppressant), THeobromine (well-being, diuretic), Green Tea (fat burning), Magnolia Bark (cortisol control), Glucomannan (fiber), Gugglesterone, Chromium, Banaba (blood sugar), L-Theanine and Guggul.

Sorry this took so long to answer, I have been very busy at work and just now checked back.

To answer your questions, the MaritzMayer Laboratories have reserved the domain name of hoodiaplex.com but are in the process of putting up a website to sell online. Thus far, they sell to independant vitamin shops and they carry many products, not just hoodia. I've actually called the 800 number on the bottle and have been talking to a rep there. I'm interested in being a distributor because I've had such great success and all my coworkers as well that I've been sending over to my vitamin shop. They sent me alot of info on their products.

Also, I've noticed that "other" company raising the price of their hoodia due to the so called shortage and droughts in Africa but the prices are consistant with MaritzMayer Labs.

I am going to start selling it and I've already bought a domain name and am in the process of publishing the website.

Also they sell the 750 mg caps and 1000 mg tabs of pure hoodia but I had such great luck with the 500 mg and those other ingriedients they add (all good stuff and appetite suppresants). I think it's different for different people. Another lady at work prefers and has great success with the 750 pure caps. I've actually lost too much weight now but take 1 a day to maintain the appetite control. I will say that I never took more than 3 caps a day which is 1500 mg total where "that other" brand suggested 2 (750mg) caps 3 times a day. lol, thats 4500 mg a day. That should tell you something.

I'll check back in case you have anymore questions. Good day.
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Jul-30-05, 09:43

BF:
Progress:

HoodiaUser,

Quote:
Also they sell the 750 mg caps and 1000 mg tabs of pure hoodia

What size capsules can a manufacturer get to stuff 1000 mg of pure hoodia in?

You stated that Desert Burn was a rip off, however we have no indication that you tried the product.

Quote:
Tell that to the lab that found little or no Hoodia Gordinii in the capsules.
One of my questions was - What lab did you have Desert Burn tested in? What results did you find?

I'm sure that if you REALLY had Desert Burn tested in a lab and found sawdust as you claimed, you would have posted the results for all to see. So, my guess is that you were considering selling a competitive brand of hoodia and just wanted to knock other brands. If this is the case, your integrity is in question my dear. How can buyers believe you about your product when you make false claims about the competition's products? That's just bad business practice!

If you wanted a winner product, you should have chosen Desert Burn to sell! Good luck anyway in your hoodia sales.
  #56   ^
Old Wed, Aug-03-05, 20:16

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSB
HoodiaUser,

What size capsules can a manufacturer get to stuff 1000 mg of pure hoodia in?

You stated that Desert Burn was a rip off, however we have no indication that you tried the product.

One of my questions was - What lab did you have Desert Burn tested in? What results did you find?

I'm sure that if you REALLY had Desert Burn tested in a lab and found sawdust as you claimed, you would have posted the results for all to see. So, my guess is that you were considering selling a competitive brand of hoodia and just wanted to knock other brands. If this is the case, your integrity is in question my dear. How can buyers believe you about your product when you make false claims about the competition's products? That's just bad business practice!

If you wanted a winner product, you should have chosen Desert Burn to sell! Good luck anyway in your hoodia sales.

Your loss or not, lol. As I posted before: Also they sell the 750 mg caps and 1000 mg tabs (1000 mg TABS) Not capsules. Sounds like you work for Desert burn. As far as Desert Burn, I have 2 and a half full bottles gathering dust as I stated in an earlier post here. I bought the 3 bottle special they ran a while back. I was going in with co-workers but refused to sell them junk. I got stuck with it all. Live and learn. And Hoodia will just be a small part of what I plan on representing. (if I ever find the time that is) I'm more into vitamins, whole food vitamins to be exact. I am thinking of including Hoodiaplex because it's a good product.

And I never said I had it tested in a lab. I read that on the internet and after reading it, I did the disolving test into separate glasses of water to see if they did the same thing. They did not. Go back and actually read my posts and you will see that.

You seem to be trashing all hoodia brands so I guess you are one that didnt have any luck with it. All I can say is keep trying. Maybe go to a vitamin store that has a money back policy. Personally, I'm skeptical of most products on the internet myself. I do buy alot of hardware but I make sure there is money back policies in place due to the fact that it's easily damaged in handling and shipping.

Goodbye and good luck....
  #57   ^
Old Thu, Aug-04-05, 09:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159/141.7/130 Female 5'7"
BF: LOTS!
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Personally, I'm skeptical of most products on the internet myself. I do buy alot of hardware but I make sure there is money back policies in place due to the fact that it's easily damaged in handling and shipping.

I buy LOTS of stuff off the internet -- viatamins, makeup, books, clothing, our newest TV and computer, etc., etc. -- and I find that basically most internet-sold products are really good, priced well, and the people selling them are eager for your business and work hard to keep you happy. I rarely wait very long for an order (my vitamins, from iherb.com, are delivered within 2 days -- sure beats running to the mall and not finding everything on your list). And I have yet to receive anything damaged, our delivery systems (post office, UPS, etc.) are good.....

I think you simply need to research the group you're looking at, find out their return policies, and then go for it. I for one find it so much easier to do much of my shopping this way!
  #58   ^
Old Sun, Aug-07-05, 02:13

BF:

well I'm guilty of the same. It is much easier to shop online and I've had great luck. The only thing so far I feel a loss on besides the DB is a compact flash card for my canon camera, it quit working after about 2 months and they wouldnt replace it so I dont do business with that site anymore. Once some computer ram didnt work but the company promptly replaced it. Another time I received a computer motherboard barebone kit and the cpu was flopping (broken lose) around in it, they replaced it but it was during the Christmas rush and and they shut down for the holidays and it was a month or so to get it all straighened out.

One Christmas I never set foot in a store, all my gifts were purchased online. That was convienient. Plus the fact that online shops are driving down the prices at the local merchants. Foley's has great sales now.

But, you can't help but be skeptical of sending financial info thru the internet to people you dont know but I do check out the sites thoroughly before I do.
  #59   ^
Old Mon, Aug-08-05, 07:52

BF:
Progress:

Last edited by BSB : Tue, Aug-09-05 at 04:24.
  #60   ^
Old Mon, Aug-08-05, 08:04

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
....it quit working after about 2 months and they wouldnt replace it so I dont do business with that site anymore

Ahhh ... HoodiaUser! Finally the real story behind the Desert Burn complaints and rants!!! You could not get a refund after 30 days (as standard good business practices offer) and you decided to lash out to the world all that negative vitriol.

You admit that it worked for you for 60 days....admitting that it wasn't sawdust the first 60 days....find another product to sell on line (Hoodiaplex) and then trash DB.

You don't do business with that site because you are selling another - competitive brand - yourself.