Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 20:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 232/230/175 Female 5-7
BF:unsure
Progress: 4%
Wink Tips on How to get FIBER dose

Chello. Im having a hard time getting my fiber intake even with taking the sugar free psyllium husks. Any ideas? I eat a lot of veggies, so thats not the problem. Any ideas? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 21:32

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I use a combination of ground flax seed and unprocessed wheat bran as a hot morning breakfast cereal...nearly half my daily fiber requirements in one serving.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 02:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

I'm a fiber junkie, and if I don't get enough fiber I get real cranky.

Avocados are great! About 4 grams of fiber per half.

Raspberries, strawberries and blackberries are also low carb with a good amount of fiber.

I also eat 1/4 cup of raw nuts daily (almonds, brazil nuts, hazel nuts, pecans). Each 1/4 cup serving has over 4 grams of fiber.

There's a great cereal on the market called Fiber One. One half-cup serving has 14 grams of fiber (net carbs per 1/2 cup=10). Whenever I have cereal, I don't eat a whole serving, but just a half-serving has 7 grams!

It's recommended that you have about 25 grams of fiber a day. Eating the way I do I never have a problem reaching at least 25 grams.

I pretty much had a pig-out day today, so for the amount of calories I ate it was actually pretty low fiber today, but here's the run-down of my fiber foods:

1/4 Cup raspberries
1/4 Cup blackberries (both these berries are frozen whole, so measure the same as unfrozen)
Salad made with kale, cabbage, alfalfa sprouts, onions, radishes, celery
1 tbls sunflower seeds
1/2 Cup mixed raw nuts
Guacamole
Tomatoes & onions that came with my burger patty
1/4 Cup Fiber One cereal
-------------
Total: 27 grams of fiber

The thing I like absolutely the best about high fiber foods is that I get to eat more of them!

Last edited by LilaCotton : Sat, Nov-15-03 at 02:39.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 07:39

Plan: adkins
Stats: 160/148.5/130 Female 5 4
BF:
Progress: 38%

Ive been taking flax seed capsules. Are those fiber? If not , its okay to include strawberries and blackberries to the diet without feeling guilty? I know these are legal foods later in the diet.
Renee
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 11:13

Stats: 170/140/130 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Can someone tell me what would be best for fiber during INDUCTION? I see that I'm not supposed to eat seeds, nuts or any of the flax or wheat meal products. I've had no problems so far...but just want to be prepared!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 12:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 232/230/175 Female 5-7
BF:unsure
Progress: 4%

LilaCotton: I am a fiber fanatic too. I never feel like im getting enough :-) Before I started this WOL. I was trying to find something that was right for me; and I was doing the organice high fiber thingy that I just concucted, but it became way too expensive. I couldnt afford it. Besides it just wasnt feasible in my real world. So now im trying to get as much fiber as i can. All your suggestions are great, I am still on induction though bc i havent lost much weight bc i mess up here and there; so i guess i'll do the avacadoes as much as i can and the flax, is flax the same as metamucil? I need to try that. It sounds like people lean more that way in here?? I'll have to wait to include the berries and nuts and such til lata.

OH ps.. whenever i take the fiber supplement (metamucil sugar free) my stomach gets cranky and i have a hard time sleeping, maybe the flax will do me better. have a nice weekend.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 12:18
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I always take two psyllum husk capsules and never had a problem.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 14:48

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

I've never had to have the Metamucil, psyllium husks or anything like that. I use raw spinach as my main salad ingredient and eat lots of red cabbage, romaine, broccoli, cauliflower and that type of thing. I also have 1/2 an avacado every morning in my omlet. I also use 5 or so cherry tomatoes in my salads. I'm no longer in induction so I really eat a very broad range of veggies, but I make sure I get lots of spinach for salads every day. Keep things on the move so to speak.

Katlyweb - these are all induction friendly.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 15:37

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Stella, I completely forgot you're on Induction. Sorry about that!

When I was on Induction I just ate a lot of veggies, but that didn't always do the trick. There were times I wasn't as regular as I would have liked. Some of that was just my body adjusting to the new WOE, but part of it wasn't.

I know some of the best fibery foods on Induction are artichokes and avocadoes. A half-cup of artichoke hearts has about 9 carbs with 4.5 grams of fiber.

Do you have an account at FitDay? Generally speaking, when I want to know how much of something a food has, I go do a search and look at it. Spinach isn't that great in fiber, with less than one gram per cup of raw. Kale is higher overall carbs, but has 1.34 grams of fiber per cup. Cabbage has 1.78 grams of fiber per raw cup.

After I went through the first two weeks of Induction, I still stayed at 20-25 carbs for a few weeks, and at that point started adding some nuts and berries. Believe me, they were absolutely the ticket!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 17:20

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
is flax the same as metamucil?

No. Metamucil is primarily psyllium husks with flavoring added. Flax is a seed that is very low in carbs, but high in fiber and Omega 3 fatty acids. You can either get them whole and grind them in a coffee grinder (don't bother with the food processor, it won't work) or get them already ground. Keep whatever ground flax seed you don't use in the refrigerator as the fats will go rancid quickly at room temperature. The whole seeds are a bit more stable, but it doesn't hurt to refrigerate them as well.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 22:23

Stats: 290/238/185 Male 5'10
BF:
Progress: 50%

I'm a newbie, but I picked up a GNC product Colon Clear, has Arabinogalactan (no other ingredients).

Per the label, teaspoon theorectically has 0 cal, 1.5 g dietary fiber. May have 0.3g carb of non dietary fibre, since total is 1.8 g.

I mix one teaspoon in an 8 oz glass of water, basically cloudy water, no taste or texture to it. Thought it might be handy to have around.

Found a study on arabinogalactin here. Seems interesting.

Last edited by brownious : Sat, Nov-15-03 at 22:25.