Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Salads Veggies & Side Dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 09:19

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 305/221/180 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 67%
Talking Mediterranean Salad

Since I have some time and Mischa is sweet enough to do all the work, I'm keeping this gal by the way, , I thought I would post some recipes.

Mediterranean Salad

1 head romaine lettuce---shredded
1 green pepper---cut in slivers
1 red pepper---cut in slivers
5 mushrooms sliced
1/2 cucumbers----sliced
2 tomatoes---cut in small sections
1 can black olives----sliced
1 red onion
1/2 cup feta cheese

Dressing
2 tablespoons Olive oil
2 Tablespoons Balsamic binegar
salt, pepper & garlic to taste
1 tsp. splenda, bulk
Renee's greek dressing 2 Tablespoons, or any greek dressing.

Mix dressing and pour over salad

Makes 4 servings..stats per serving.

Calories....195
fat.............12 grams
carbs..........18 grams
fiber...........6 grams
protein......8 grams

Last edited by Kristine : Fri, Apr-23-04 at 09:53. Reason: split from Everything Else forum
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 15:23
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Mmmm, outstanding! A nice break from plain ol' leafy salads. I skipped the lettuce.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 23:34

Plan: myOwn
Stats: 442/442/175 Female 66"
BF:
Progress:
Default Greek Salad

The forum keeps asking me to post to the site for the first time, so I'll do it now.

This recipe I see above is a variation on what we always called Greek Salad (common in Italy where my husband used to live). FYI, even normal greek salad is fairly LC though the amount of cukes/tomatoes/olives probably could be minimized for LC. It's also so healthy the body probably sings Gloria every time you ingest it.

Every ingredient (even lettuce) in this salad is cut up into pieces about the size of a fingernail (which fingernail is your choice!). One of the points of this dish is that every ingredient is equal. It is really amazing how different salad ingredients taste when they are all chopped small and the same size; it blends wonderfully, keeps any taste from really dominating too much, and is much more moist. Salads with finely chopped ingredients are nearly different foods than the typical western salads with big chunks of stuff.

I use quantities that either make an 'equal blend' of things, or that suit my taste of the day (sometimes more sweet peppers for my kid, or more hot peppers for me), or that just use whatever I have on hand. So here's our list without giving measurements--'cause honestly, you can experiment at will. The more 'different' kinds of things I put in here (like diff greens, diff peppers), the yummier it is!

This can be refrigerated for a couple of days, though frankly it's better fresh, but I've eaten it up to two days later and it's still been more than edible albeit slightly wilted.

Greek Salad

romaine-type lettuce (multiple types of greens are great)
hot peppers (anaheim chili and/or poblano is good)
sweet peppers (such as colored bells, sweet banana, etc.)
scallions (green onions)*
cucumber
tomato (the paste types work better here for texture)
green mediterranean (not spanish) seedless or de-seeded olives**
crumbled feta cheese (I use the 'garlic & herb' type they have in local stores)

(Pointedly no mushrooms. Up to you though!)

* other onion types are ok but not as yummy and higher carb.
** You can use black olives, easier to find but real diff taste.

Mix some of the green olive liquid (which is basically vinegar--use vinegar if you don't have it, red wine is my fave for this) with good olive oil (GOOD olive oil--cheap olive oil is worse than bad--if you can't afford decent olive oil, consider a different oil type instead). Mix in some finely minced garlic (if you want) and some salt&pepper (if you want), and then pour the dressing all over the salad and mix.

You can vary all the ingredient quantities, and the details of 'types' of ingredient, as much as you want. I have made this using no cucumber and almost no tomato and no olives -- mostly a little romaine and a variety of sweet peppers and feta -- and it was still wonderful. Great stuff for the bod and yummy fresh taste and very low carb. The cuke and tomato and olives are probably the highest carb items, so those are the ones to consider varying for LC diets.

The biggest pain is chopping everything up. (Use a NON-serrated big knife for the lettuce: fold it up long ways, chop into long strips, then cross cut. Everything else, serrated sharp veggie knife works best.) On the bright side, at least no grating cheese or cauli is required for this one.

LSH
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-04, 20:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/181/120 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Yum, this was tasty! I'm making another batch to take with me to work tomorrow. This is great to premix the veggies and just toss the dressing in right before eating. Thanks for the great recipes!