Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-10-06, 12:39

Plan: Atkins/Cad
Stats: 241/217.8/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Weight Loss Question

I have heard many different things on how rapid/slow weight loss is on the CAD diet. I was just curious to see what the norm is. I am doing CAD I eat twice a day..1 CM meal usually a grilled chicken salad and then my rm which isn't as balanced with veggies as it could be but i'm working on it.

Just curious how fast or slow others are.....I am committed to this diet no matter what but I am going on a cruise with extended family in Jan and I wanted to set some mini goals for myself to help me stay motivated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-10-06, 17:40
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
sorry, but I never had any kinds of goals to lose a certain amount, or by a certain date. I lost 30 pounds in the first 6 months, and the next 25 in the next 9 months.
Eno
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-11-06, 05:49

Plan: CALP
Stats: 16/14/10 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 33%

I found that the better I stick to the diet, the faster I lose. I sometimes go off plan during weekends, and it makes the loss much slower. If I go straight through and try to keep very balanced, I notice a bigger change in my body (I don't weigh myself, but will start soon).
If I can't get motivated to include a veggie, I mix frozen spinach or cauliflower with cream cheese or cheddar and microwave. It's quick and gets my meal balanced.
How's your RM salad?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-11-06, 10:26

Plan: Plant-based
Stats: 200/168/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 53%

When I was losing, I was losing at a rate of -.75 lb per week, about 3 lbs per month. I considered this losing slowly. The Hellers say to aim for no more then 2 lbs per week.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-11-06, 12:09

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

When I was really good about balancing my meals, I lost about 1.5-2 lbs. a week for the first 20 pounds. What would happen was, I'd see tiny increments of a pound for two days or so, then on the third day, BAM, I'd finally be down a solid pound. It was weird how routine that really was.

After that I felt like I was stalling, but my carb consumption at my RM was also beginning to creep up--a few more cookies than previously, plus a potato or plus breading or whatever--and I'm sure that's what actually caused the stall. After that I got pregnant and forget it! Now I'm a house. I can't wait to see my baby AND I can't wait to get back to losing again.

I think everyone loses differently. I mean that goes without saying, but just to confirm, yes, CAD is this way too, just like other ways of eating. Good luck!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-11-06, 20:05

BF:

My RM salads are pretty good. I use lots of lettuce, green peppers and cucumbers, I also add a little bit of bacon, egg and feta cheese. I find that if I eat this first before my rm I don't eat as much of my reward meal as I planned on. I am not a veggie lover and can't bring myself to eat many of them...although I do plan on getting some carrots to eat durring dinner.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-12-06, 06:13

BF:

You're talking to another squeemish-veggie-eater. The vegetable portion of your meal should be a "safe" one from the CM list. Carrots have too much sugar and should be considered a carb. Something that's helped me is microwaving a side of frozen spinach and cream cheese or frozen cauliflower COVERED in cheddar. It'll help pull your portions down even more, and help you lose weight faster. If it's warm where you are, try cutting up cucumbers and blend with real mayo and a little salt. Hopefully you can find your balance. I think the overall goal is to savor the small amount of carbs you get to eat, while concentrating on keeping the no-carb foods the largest portions (I have yet to put this into practice myself )

Anybody else have good veggie side items? I'm getting tired of it, myself!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-12-06, 16:45

BF:

ohhh you just reminded me of something my mother use to make when I was little. She use to cut up cucumbers and mix some vinager in miracle whip to pour over them...now I know miracle whip isn't allowed but I could probably get a similiar taste with mayo....hmmmm definalty going to have to try this one.

Yeah I know carrots aren't a great vegetable choice..but I have tried broccli and just can't swallow it...cauliflower I may give it a try but I don't see it going over any better then the broccli and spinich...eh who know will try it to ...but I'm not to hopeful. I am totally under the belief that a vegetable in any form is good for you...but I already planned on limiting the amount of carrots I eat.

I like to tell my kids that if you eat something enough you will learn to like it...I keep eating broccli and you know what ...my kids are right...its still gross....LoL

#9   ^
Old Fri, May-12-06, 19:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/CALP/IF
Stats: 219/141/139 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Broccoli is so much better with a simple cheese sauce on it. Melt a T. of butter, add 1/4 cup cream, and then add a handful of cheddar cheese. Stir it really well until the cheese melts. Put that on your broccoli and I'll bet you like it! Also, be sure you don't overcook the broccoli. If it's mushy, it's yucky!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-13-06, 06:21

BF:

I think any vegetable is better with cheese on it- my favorite has become cream cheese. I mix frozen spinach, cream cheese, and butter together- microwave, and it tastes like spinach alfredo! I usually eat this for lunch. I have come to like frozen vegetables, anyway. They're not as "earthy" tasting, but still have all the good fiber and nutrients in them. You just have to make yourself take them out of the freezer!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-15-06, 06:03

Plan: moderate carb, WW
Stats: 274/245.2/200 Male 5 feet 9 inches
BF:36%
Progress: 39%

Hello. I've been exploring this CAD/CALP page since a friend gave me a CAD book that I have just started reading.

The message above about the cukes with mayo dressing prompted me to write. A cuke salad with tomato slices and a grilled meat is one of our all time favorite summer-time meals. YUM!!!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-16-06, 08:58

Plan: IR
Stats: 220/217/175 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edy
I think any vegetable is better with cheese on it- my favorite has become cream cheese. I mix frozen spinach, cream cheese, and butter together- microwave, and it tastes like spinach alfredo! I usually eat this for lunch. I have come to like frozen vegetables, anyway. They're not as "earthy" tasting, but still have all the good fiber and nutrients in them. You just have to make yourself take them out of the freezer!

Edy, When you use the frozen spinach do you thaw it out and so you squeeze out the liquid? How long do you microwave it I cant wait to try it.

Doris
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-17-06, 05:54

BF:

I make this on the way to work (I'm usually running late)- I don't have time to thaw or squeeze-
I buy the BAGS of frozen spinach and dump a little bit in a plastic container with a few spoonfuls of cream cheese and a spoonful of butter. I throw it in a bag and go. I usually keep it out (not refrigetated) and microwave it for a minute. Usually it's creamy and good- sometimes it's watery and yuck. Just be sure to add a lot of cream cheese!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, May-21-06, 14:47

Plan: cad
Stats: 230/191.5/120 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 35%

I have lost 10 pds a month for the first 2 months and then 3-4 pds for the next 2 months, I'm down almost 40 pds in 5 months. I had to cut back on my RM carb portion and always have had only 1 cm a day. I usally make it meat or eggs and sometimes fried cabbage. I'm now starting to lose faster again. I also added cla/gla combo and the inches are really flying off. Hope this helps you.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, May-21-06, 17:46

BF:

what's cla/gla?