Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-13, 10:16
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Low dose DHEA

I thought this was an interesting article: THE EFFECTS OF A 5MG DOSE OF DHEA

I've never been able to take a DHEA supplement. Mostly they come in 25-50mg doses. I end up with breast tenderness and weird menstruation. So far I'm tolerating the 5mg just fine. I've felt better than average too, and my ukelele playing has improved 25%! Perhaps they're connected.

Hmmm... this is interesting too:

http://blogs.webmd.com/womens-healt...-menopause.html

Quote:
Is over-the-counter DHEA safe?
Unlike in Europe, DHEA is available in the U.S. without a prescription. It is an active hormone, naturally produced by our adrenal glands. Our body will convert the DHEA to both estrogens (female hormones) and androgens (male hormones). I mention this as a breast cancer survivor once asked if she could take DHEA. I quoted a study by Genazzani (yes, the same scientist with the new study) published nine years ago in which postmenopausal women were given DHEA 25 mg pills for a year. Their blood levels of estradiol were 90 picograms. This is a level found in young, ovulating women.

Surprisingly, no undue stimulation of the lining of the uterus has been found in studies where menopausal women were given DHEA 25 mg or 50 mg. However, the women were followed for only 12 months. So we still do not know about long-term safety at such doses. If I had a patient using long-term DHEA I would want to be sure that their uterine lining was not being stimulated by newly created estrogen. This could be done with an ultrasound measurement of lining thickness.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-13, 14:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 279.2/234/140 Female 5'2''
BF:decreasing
Progress: 32%

My DHEA is sky high. It's hard to find info about DHEA, unless I'm looking in all the wrong places. I've searched online and found very little. Doc says it's connected to my PCOS.

donna
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-13, 14:56
Experimenter

BF:

I think it usually goes low in older folks, like women closer to menopause. Mine is super low, has been for 10 years at least.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-13, 15:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 279.2/234/140 Female 5'2''
BF:decreasing
Progress: 32%

Quote:
I think it usually goes low in older folks, like women closer to menopause. Mine is super low, has been for 10 years at least.

I'm 47 yrs old. Don't know if I'm close to menopause, but sure feels like it sometimes. Doc says I'm not the norm with PCOS. Maybe she meant with age.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-13, 16:36
Experimenter

BF:

Yeah, must be PCOS sufferers have the opposite issue. I definitely wouldn't supplement DHEA in that case. I remember getting mine tested in my 40's and it was low back then.