Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-03-09, 17:39

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Vitamin D through sun exposure

I'm definitely looking forward to more spring-like temps around here.

My question about sun exposure for Vitamin D production
(believe me, I'm this clueless...been raised on the slather the sunblock asap):

Does it have to be direct sunlight?

What I mean is...I can be on my deck out back.
It's broad daylight, but there's lots of trees around, so there might not be a "direct sight" between me and the sun. Does that count, even if possibly diminished?

Also, if you do have fairly fair skin (i.e...I can burn with 20 minutes, depending on the conditions), does one "ramp up" their exposure time? How do you handle sun exposure for Vitamin D without burning yourself?

Is there a site you can recommend that talks about getting sunlight for Vitamin D production?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-03-09, 17:45

Plan: As low as possible
Stats: 116/116/112 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

I would check out Weston Price and/or Dr. Mercola. They have good information about vitamin D. I am not exactly sure about all the facts but if you are fair skinned you don't need as much time in the sun.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-04-09, 04:28
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpioch
I'm definitely looking forward to more spring-like temps around here.
Unfortunately it takes time for the nutritional changes you need to make to improve your skin's natural sunscreen potential.
Quote:
My question about sun exposure for Vitamin D production
(believe me, I'm this clueless...been raised on the slather the sunblock asap):
First throw out the sunscreen/sunblock except possibly the one that reflect light. Watch this video to learn how sunscreens are increasing melanoma incidence.
Skin Cancer/Sunscreen

Quote:
Does it have to be direct sunlight?
The more direct the higher the UVB ratio. So laying naked at noon is best, that means the maximum UVB with the least UVA exposure.

Quote:
What I mean is...I can be on my deck out back.
It's broad daylight, but there's lots of trees around, so there might not be a "direct sight" between me and the sun. Does that count, even if possibly diminished?
The earlier/later in the day the less UVB reaches the ground the above video explains it. But fails to mention that UVB is absorbed/blocked by upper atmospheric pollution so the further through the atmosphere the UVB rays travel the less UVB reaches the ground so you get UVA damage but no UVB production of D3 to repair that damage.

Quote:
Also, if you do have fairly fair skin (i.e...I can burn with 20 minutes, depending on the conditions), does one "ramp up" their exposure time? How do you handle sun exposure for Vitamin D without burning yourself?[/url]Follow ALL THE SUGGESTIONS I have set out in this post. I know this sounds daft but you really need to raise your vitamin d status with supplements BEFORE you go out in the sun. D3 is a powerful antioxidant/anti inflammatory agent so getting your status up to 50~70ng now with 5000iu/d D3 will mean your internal protection system (tanning) kicks in straight away so you will then be less likely to burn.

[quote]
Is there a site you can recommend that talks about getting sunlight for Vitamin D production?

The vitamin D cure I haven't checked out all Dowd says but I like his calculator

the vitamin d council

Grassrootshealth.org

When you've time check out all the videos from grassrootshealth.org. they are on utube if you search for UCTELEVISION GRASSROOTSHEALTH
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-09, 06:00

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Hi Hutchinson,

I was also wondering about when I can start usefully doing the "naked at noon" thing. I live in southwestern Germany. I remember vaguely that you once posted something from the BBC.co.uk site relating to when you will get useful sun exposure. Do you have that handy?

I can't make my mind up whether to ask my German GP for a Vit D test or to do the Grassroots thing before I stop taking Vit D3 orally for the summer. But when does that period - in Vit D terms - actually begin for me???

amanda
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-09, 09:12

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

You can get good vitamin D generation by lying in the shade of trees. Enough sunlight filters through the leaves and reflects off the ground to allow vitamin D to be made. You do have to spend more time with your skin exposed.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-09, 15:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
You can get good vitamin D generation by lying in the shade of trees. Enough sunlight filters through the leaves and reflects off the ground to allow vitamin D to be made. You do have to spend more time with your skin exposed.

Good to know.

Sometimes you just cannot change your surroundings. I'm not cutting down the trees, and the most likely place sunning will happen is out on my deck.
AND...since "circumstances" (i.e...my own kids, neighbors, etc.) prevent "total body exposure", I'd have to "up" the time anyway. I know if I'm in the shade, I'm less likely to burn, so that makes sense.
According to the calculator linked above, I need about 15min. So I figure half an hour in Tshirt and shorts, eh? That's doable.

Granted, since I'm above the 40* parallel, I don't have lots of "time" but I figure I'll start as soon as May (eventhough it isn't maximized) and can go through Sept. That's about as reasonable around here as it gets. What's a girl to do?

Thanks for all the links. I'm reading through them and trying to get better knowledge about all this. Lots to keep track of.

Now...another question...
Are there any other vitamins/minerals that I'm supposed to be taking to maximize the Vitamin D? Is there anything I should be aware of that reduces the absorption/effect of the Vitamin D?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-09, 16:14
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Being middle-aged, obese, dark-skinned can all minimize the Vit D you create. I think certain diseases, like autoimmune diseases, maybe use up a lot of D. And I've read eating wheat does too.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-09, 16:50
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawood
Hi Hutchinson,

I was also wondering about when I can start usefully doing the "naked at noon" thing. I live in southwestern Germany. I remember vaguely that you once posted something from the BBC.co.uk site relating to when you will get useful sun exposure. Do you have that handy?

I can't make my mind up whether to ask my German GP for a Vit D test or to do the Grassroots thing before I stop taking Vit D3 orally for the summer. But when does that period - in Vit D terms - actually begin for me???

amanda
The Vitamin D cure Calculator

vitamin D council Links

Vit d EZ calculator Remember that it is a heat driven process. It's no good laying naked in the sun if there is no heat arriving on your skin. There needs to be a glow factor so whatever the calculator says if your skin is cold before during and after then you've wasted your time from the Vit d perspective and would have been better off taking a capsule.

[urlhttp://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/23]You can find it out on this BBC page well for 4 days at least.[/url] click the tab UV and Pollution

Skin Cancer/Sunscreen - the DilemmaDo make sure you fully understand the science of sunscreens BEFORE you buy them.

Last edited by Hutchinson : Thu, Mar-05-09 at 16:58.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-27-09, 11:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 147/133/110 Female 62 inches
BF:Everwhere
Progress: 38%
Default What about tanning beds?

Can you get a decent amount of Vit D exposure from tanning beds, or is it the wrong kind? I have usually avoided them, because I bought into the "sun is a killer run run away" hype. But, I simply cannot get outdoor sun exposure on a regular basis. I work long hours, and don't get many breaks at lunch, and weekends are intermittent. Would there be any benefit to using a tanning bed, or will I just get tan without the health benefits?

The more I discover about Vitamin D, the more important I think it is to get it.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-27-09, 11:41
Experimenter

BF:

Some tanning beds are good. I don't know which but I'm sure they have that info at the vitamin D council.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-09, 12:08

BF:

Hi Hutchinson!

Thanks for replying to my query a few weeks back. I forgot to check whether you'd answered until today, though, silly me. Probably because there's been zero chance of exposure to the sun round here - until today!!!

Anyway, you wrote the following about getting Vit D from the sun:

Quote:
Remember that it is a heat driven process. It's no good laying naked in the sun if there is no heat arriving on your skin. There needs to be a glow factor so whatever the calculator says if your skin is cold before during and after then you've wasted your time from the Vit d perspective and would have been better off taking a capsule.

At any rate, we had SUN today!!! I sat in the sun this afternoon on my sheltered terrace and the sun was warm in this sheltered spot. My skin got a teensy bit pink, but I was only out there for about 15 to max. 30 minutes altogether.

I am just wondering if I will have got any Vitamin D generated??? Whatever the case may be, it certainly was good to sit in the sun and bask a little!!! We have seen so little of it round here and it has been so cold and windy lately.

Let's hope spring is on its way at last!!!

amanda
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-09, 13:51

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suldog
Can you get a decent amount of Vit D exposure from tanning beds, or is it the wrong kind? I have usually avoided them, because I bought into the "sun is a killer run run away" hype. But, I simply cannot get outdoor sun exposure on a regular basis. I work long hours, and don't get many breaks at lunch, and weekends are intermittent. Would there be any benefit to using a tanning bed, or will I just get tan without the health benefits?

The more I discover about Vitamin D, the more important I think it is to get it.

Hi there Suldog,

If you look at the post from Hutchinson, you'll see one thing called "Vitamin D council links". Out of curiousity, I had a scroll through it - some dang interesting stuff there - and saw that there's a company that sells special "Vitamin D" lamps. They're not cheap at about 300 bucks a throw, but if you don't like the idea of ingesting your Vit D (that really is the cheapest option - the stuff I get is also a liquid which I just drop onto a spoon so it's not even "difficult" to take, like tablets can be for some people), then you could look into getting one of these lamps.

As far as I know, you just have them in your room and then sit in front of them! And hey presto, you get your Vitamin D! At least, I think that's how it works...

amanda
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-09, 14:27
Experimenter

BF:

There are tanning parlors that have the right beds for D, but they're a certain type. Best to consult Vit D council.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-01-09, 02:44
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
There are tanning parlors that have the right beds for D, but they're a certain type. Best to consult Vit D council.
That is true for the USA/Canada but not for UK/EEC

Our commercial tanning beds have to limit the output of UVB to a very low level so unless you buy a DOMESTIC SUNBED and ensure it is fitted with high UVB output tubes (but getting very difficult to source now) you will not get adequate vitamin d from commercial tanning palors without excessive exposure to UVA.

I think there may well be advantages to sun exposure that we are currently not aware of. We've learn't so much over the past 10yrs that it would be very surprising if there were not loads more to discover. So I personally take sufficient D3 to cover my basic daily needs and use regular short full body sun exposures to build up stored D3.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 20:50

BF:

OK...
I'm still desperately trying to figure this out.

Now that it is April, I have hopes in the next few weeks to be able to actually get some sun exposure.
But I would like to figure this out long-term.

Come October (I'm in New England), the sun is no longer a real option.
I'm going to join a gym that has standing tanning booths. I've been so hardened against tanning booths that I'm not sure what to think of them now.

Should I just make up my mind to suppliment in the winter? Or should I utilize the tanning booths?

They have "Smart Lamp II" Hex booths. I cannot for the life of me find out what %of UVB there is ... much less how much there OUGHT to be.

???

What say you regarding this dilemma?
Tanning booths? Or NO WAY?