Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-08, 09:49
AntiSAD

Plan: finding my happy place
Stats: 245/231.4/200 Female 67 inches.
BF:
Progress: 30%
Question Extreme hunger

Okay, first off YAY! The scale finally moved!

I'm at work noticing huge hunger, even though I had a good sized-high protein breakfast. I recall in the past, after a loss, hunger follows big-time.

Anyone else notice this?

How do you deal with a larger than normal appetite? I don't want to undo what I've done!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-08, 11:39

Plan: ?????
Stats: 239.9/196/145 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 46%

I find I eat like a ravenous beast~ before a good whoosh.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-08, 11:47
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Eat more fat and protein. It's all you can do unless you are willing to endure a lot of hunger, and wussy me is not willing to do that.

If you are hungry you *should* eat, just don't increase the carbs. Trust your body.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-08, 12:06
AntiSAD

BF:

Hmmm Rodmick....here's to hoping!

Liz I'm typn' wiff my mouf fow of funa right now....I'm a wuff too! I hafe bein humgy.

Oops.. I just spittled all over my monitor.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-08, 12:10
Registered Member

Good!

I don't know about you but I find it important to get a certain minimum amount of fat at breakfast to go along with the protein. Certain minimum being a couple hundred calories. This morning I had coffee with half and half along with meatballs. That does the trick.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-08, 12:13
Registered Member

Plan: Neocarnivore
Stats: 375/345/250 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelskinny
Okay, first off YAY! The scale finally moved!
Yay!

Quote:
I'm at work noticing huge hunger
I don't know if this is relevant, but I got really hungry last night, even though I know I ate right and enough. I had two small steaks, greenbeans and bacon, and a small salad maybe an hour before. I was almost going to go snack on an egg but then I got busy for a few minutes. Maybe 15-20 minutes.

Buy the time I was done, I was no longer hungry. Don't ask me why. I think that the dinner had to have more time to let me know I had eaten.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-08, 12:13
AntiSAD

BF:

Ya, seems to me that's the trick; if I have a good amount of protein/fat it seems to set me up for a less-hungry day.
This morning I had 1/2c blueberries.....
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-08, 12:20
AntiSAD

BF:

I've really had a hard time with false hunger signals since I've started LCing. I can eat a large amount of legal food and an hour later feel very hungry, then there are those days where its vise/versa....? Maybe it's psychological as I'm thinking about food a lot more on this woe because of meal preps, menu planning, etc.
I have to add, that's the reason I was always so pathetic when I dieted!

Last edited by feelskinny : Tue, Apr-22-08 at 12:27.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-08, 13:17
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Yeah, that can happen when food is on the brain. And I always have food on the brain. I love to talk about food! When I'm eating one meal I like to think of what I'm doing to have next! LOL I find my protein and fat combos really make a difference in terms of my hunger. But honestly it's been the overall meals including upping the carbs a bit for me (instead of VLC) that have made the most difference. It's a constant trial and error to get to a good balance, isn't it? And you know at some point we might just be destined to feel a little hunger, because after all, attempting to lose weight DOES require some kind of deprivation, as much as we hate to say so. Hang in there Enid - you're doing great!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-08, 13:26
AntiSAD

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaz8605
Yeah, that can happen when food is on the brain. And I always have food on the brain. I love to talk about food! When I'm eating one meal I like to think of what I'm doing to have next!

Yup

I'm just like my cat.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-08, 19:30
AntiSAD

BF:

Well folks I've come to the conclusion that my body's just plain pissed off at me for having a teeny weeny whoosh.

So I brought out the big guns for supper.

I ate a cow.

Pretty sure if not, then darn close.

Problem solved.

Burp.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-08, 20:54
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

I followed PP/PPLP for about 7 years. Hunger was always a problem for me on it, unfortunately. For some reason, I was under the impression that, while you could eat fat on PP/PPLP, you still had to be "careful" with the amounts. This time around, my plan is a little more Atkins-esque, in that I'm allowing myself more fat--all I want, really, along with my minimum protein requirement and I'm noticing much better hunger control. I also have better hunger control if my carbs for the day don't include grains. Even a slice of LC bread (~10g carbs) or a scant 1/4 C of rice (~10g carbs) will make me hungrier than if I had eaten those same 10g as a low-carb veggie. Just keep at it, you will find out what your body needs!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-08, 20:59
Registered Member

Plan: Neocarnivore
Stats: 375/345/250 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Well here I am having it again just like last night. It sorta feels like a craving for dairy products. I'm going to just go to bed and call it's bluff.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-08, 22:13
Registered Member

Quote:
This time around, my plan is a little more Atkins-esque, in that I'm allowing myself more fat--all I want, really, along with my minimum protein requirement and I'm noticing much better hunger control.
Hmm, your issue on PP was not enough fat, and mine on Atkins was not enough protein. Seems like we landed in the same place -- enough protein and enough fat.

I honestly get almost nauseated when I read Atkins voluptuous words describing extremely high fat meals. I know that works for a lot of people, but it makes me sick. It isn't like you have to eat a huge amount of fat on Atkins, but the way he wrote about it almost makes it seem that way. OTOH, I can also see where Eades warning about high calorie levels, which have to come from fat, can also give the wrong message.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-08, 07:17
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

It's all about finding the balance that works for you, isn't it? I've always enjoyed fat and still enjoy higher amounts than most people; however oddly enough I noticed after having my baby that I didn't quite want to consume fat in the same way I did before. (I was a "high fatter" last year with great success.) Of course once I get back to working out a bit more aggressively we'll see if that changes (I was doing weights and cardio quite a bit.) But for now I'm finding that my "craving" is middle of the line. The real key truly is finding what you're comfortable with and remembering that our bodies really are unique! Last year I was eating 2,000 cals easy and dropping weight...now I've been hitting the same mark and everything is staying right where I left it. <grumble> The best thing I can do, though, is accept things have changed (comes with territory of having baby) and figure out my new combination to unlock my fat. Wish me luck!!