Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1036   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-18, 09:06

Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 260/213/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

What a relief! I feel great taking it and would hate to stop! And thank you for putting the dosage into perspective for me. I wouldn’t have hesitated to eat two or three bananas before my lowcarbing days and would have had a large baked potato at dinner with no qualms. But since I’m not getting any of that an obviously not enough from my diet, a little bit of LoSalt goes a long way for me.
Sponsored Links
  #1037   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-18, 15:06

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
While I'm very skeptical about the recommendations for overal potassium intake--barring some sort of kidney issue, that really isn't that much potassium for a grown woman to be supplementing. If you're concerned with overload, maybe you could spread it out over the day. That quarter teaspoon of LoSalt has the same potassium as half a potato or a medium banana. It's an amount that might be dangerous for a small baby, but I don't hesitate to take that much myself.

Agree with this statement. I add about a quarter tsp to an electrolyte mix with water, salt and Calm magnesium powder. Works well for me.
  #1038   ^
Old Fri, Oct-19-18, 08:29

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I sometimes see Dr. Fung or Megan Ramos refer to fat fasting. I'd thought it was like Dr. Atkins' fat fast, catching up on the blog, a few blogs ago Megan posted about her version of a fat fast.

https://idmprogram.com/what-is-fat-...ould-you-do-it/

Looks more along the lines of the Modified Atkins diet, stressing the fat rather than restricting to the fat.
  #1039   ^
Old Fri, Oct-19-18, 13:39

Plan: Atkins/KETO/IF
Stats: 370/163/155 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 96%

I wondered how effective the IDM Fat Fast would be for those us who are metabolically resistant to losing weight- the people for whom Dr. Atkins recommended the Atkins Fat Fast. The IDM version does limit the allowed foods, interestingly not allowing dairy or nuts. When I would do the AFF to break a looooong stall, the simplest version for me to do was 1 oz of macadamia nuts & 8 oz of cream cheese. After 3 days on the AFF, the scale would go down, and my regular WOE seemed quite indulgent. After 3 days on the IDM protocol, I rather doubt I would be inspired to do an extended fast. Intermittent fasting seems to be the best I can do at this point. Everyone's mileage may vary!
  #1040   ^
Old Fri, Oct-19-18, 18:45

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I sometimes see Dr. Fung or Megan Ramos refer to fat fasting. I'd thought it was like Dr. Atkins' fat fast, catching up on the blog, a few blogs ago Megan posted about her version of a fat fast.

https://idmprogram.com/what-is-fat-...ould-you-do-it/

Looks more along the lines of the Modified Atkins diet, stressing the fat rather than restricting to the fat.

Totally feel for her patient. Wonderful that she was able to pull together a personalized program in short order. The power of fat!

I thought more of Induction just minus the all the vegies. well sort of-- the avocado and olives are vegies. lol HIs fat fasts where limited in calories too. Never been able to do a DANDR fat fast.

HIgh fat content--This is how I work into a 23/1 OMAD-- increase the fats!! ANd drop the veges to nearly nil. And keep the meat to 8 oz in a meal--

Today I almost forgot to eat.
  #1041   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-18, 10:01

Plan: my own LC
Stats: 179/141/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 112%

I don't know where to post this question. Evidently I also don't know how to use the search button. Anyway, this is my latest LC restart . I've been fasting 16 to 18 hours most days for 4 months. I've lost 18 pounds and my a1c is now 5.1. It's great not to have tight clothes! But a week ago I began having mild nausea. Antacid, and tums appear to help, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced nausea while IF? Could there be excess stomach acid in my frequently near empty belly?
  #1042   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-18, 11:33

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Just my guess, but I would think it unlikely if you are eating 6-8 hours a day. That is just a regular day for many on a keto diet. Maybe it is what you are eating in those hours...going overboard on the fats? drinking too much BPC?
Or it could be totally unrelated to diet. I just finsished a 72 hour fast with broth and some fats and had no nausea.
  #1043   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-18, 14:02

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

My thoughts-- are you getting enough vitamins and minerals?? A good multivitamin is always a good thing.

Could it be stress??

Is there a food your body doesnt like-??

TIme of eating last meal before laying down???

Stomach acid release is rather intricate.
  #1044   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-18, 18:05

BF:

I eat quite a lot of cheese and heavy cream. I'm wondering if dairy is hard on the stomach. I do take a multi and some supplements.
  #1045   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-18, 18:31
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

My stomach is very sensitive. I used to have horrible GERD, but no more. When I was young, I lived on Tums.

Every system is so different. Especially on an empty stomach. I can't take multi-vits because my stomach reacts negatively to the B-vits in them, even if I've frozen the vitamins first. I can take fat-soluble supplements like E and Cod Liver Oil and D3 just fine.
  #1046   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-18, 10:06

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

With all the Dr. Fung posts on DD and the supportive and educational Obesity Code FB page, I forget that this all started with The IDM blog. New helpful post today by Megan:

Why are you ‘stuck’? Part 2
https://idmprogram.com/why-are-you-stuck-part-2

Chicachyna,
Read Part 1 about specific foods, a section and advice on dairy. I do my best to still follow Dr. Westman's Plan...that is only 2 Tablespoons of cream and 4 oz of cheese. If you think you have problems with dairy consider a whole month with none and then add back these small amounts.

https://idmprogram.com/part-1-why-are-you-stuck/
  #1047   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-18, 06:32
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Dr. Fung has found a new way to repeat his "Insulin makes you fat." lesson:
https://idmprogram.com/my-single-best-weight-loss-tip/

Since I already know the science, sometimes I need the words to bring clarity to my own mind. These particular words helped me this morning.

Quote:
Many traditional societies have eaten carbohydrate based diets without suffering from rampant obesity. In the 1970s, before the obesity epidemic, the Irish were loving their potatoes. The Asians wer loving their white rice. The French were loving their bread.

Even in America, let’s remember the 1970s. Disco was sweeping the nation. Star Wars and Jaws played to packed theatres. If you looked at an old photograph from that era, perhaps you might be amazed at several things. First, why anybody ever thought bell bottoms were cool. Second, it’s amazing just how little obesity there is. Take a look at some old high school yearbooks from the 1970s. There is virtually no obesity. Perhaps one child in a hundred.

What was the diet of the 1970s? They were eating white bread and jam. They were eating ice cream. They were eating Oreo cookies. There were not eating whole wheat pasta. They were not eating quinoa. They were not eating kale. They were not counting calories. They were not counting net carbs. They were not even really exercising much. These people were doing everything ‘wrong’ yet, seemingly effortlessly, there was no obesity. Why?

What about the diet of the Chinese in the 1980s? The were eating tons of white rice. On average, over 300 grams per day, compared to a low carb diet of less than 50 grams and all highly refined. Yet they had virtually no obesity. Why?

What about the diet of the Okinawan? Over 80% carbohydrates, and mostly sweet potato, which has some sugar in it. What about the Irish in the 1970s, with their beloved beer and potatoes? They didn’t think twice about what they were eating, but until recently there was almost no obesity. Why?

The answer is simple. Come closer. Listen carefully.
They were not eating all the time.
A few months after I came to this forum and discovered this thread, I used IF for the first time and it was effective for me, bringing my weight down to levels I hadn't known for years, despite eating LCHF.

I know that I need to IF again, but I can't remember how to get my mind around it. Don't know what my secret was almost 3 years ago.
  #1048   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-18, 08:09

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25

chicachyna, yes I experience terrible nausea while fasting since I had my GB removed. I assume its from excess bile. Int Fasting has always been a mainstay of my diet for most of my adult life so this was really hard for me.
Finally, unexpectedly, found something that helped stomach and now back to Ifasting again. Thank goodness.
(the something that helped was CoQ10 strangely enough. I take 100 mg with first sip of coffee and no tummy troubles all day).
  #1049   ^
Old Sat, Nov-03-18, 08:06

BF:

I've heard of CoQ10 and I've seen many different brands. Is there a brand you like, and dosage?
  #1050   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-18, 04:21

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25

I typically use Jarrow or Pure Encapsulations, but I think you can find other brands at the drug store. Just make sure you get the ubiquinol not ubiquinone. I take 100 mg.