Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-15, 16:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 262/262/165 Male 5' 10"
BF:35
Progress: 0%
Default Vitamin D - false hope

Read an article in some grocery store magazine about vitamin D assisting in weight loss.

D is absorbed into fat, but people taking amounts in excess of that can lose weight.

They cited some tests to determine the right amount at your doctor but also a simple formula: 25 X weight.

So if I am 250 lbs, then 25 X 250 = 6250 iu daily. One would have to take far more than this to "overdose".
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-15, 05:39
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Some people it helps, some it doesn't.

I think it helps some who might be diabetic or prediabetic because it supports B cell function in the pancreas and thus insulin secretion/resistance.

I don't have diabetes nor am I prediabetic though I do have insulin resistance.

I gain weight rapidly in winter and am able to lose weight during summer. While supplements don't cause me to lose weight during winter I do feel that I do not gain weight as rapidly now with full D levels as I did in past winters.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-15, 11:15

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 260/242/170 Female 68 inches
BF:too much
Progress: 20%

At 257 lbs I was given an Rx for 50,000 units. I take once a week. I have 2 friends same Dr. same Rx. they are definitely not losing wt(and all three of us need to) . My wt loss did not begin until I began this WOL. Can't say 50,000 units Vit D2 aided in wt loss at all
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-15, 09:46

Plan: Dr. Westman
Stats: 280/170/170 Female 69.8 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

I am taking 50000ICU once a week in addition to my daily multivitamin. I am also pre diabetic.

My doctor put me on a low carb, low sugar diet. Getting enough Vitamin D is just one component of weight loss as is getting enough sleep and diet.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-15, 12:20

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Not only did prescription Vit D do nothing for me...including ever raising my Vit D level, not even one point! Prescription vitamin d is usually in the form of Vitamin D2 and vitamin d2 has many disadvantages and is supposedly an inferior to 'over the counter' vitamin d3 that you can get at a health food store.
After a few years of using it with zero results while eating an almost vegetarian low fat diet, I gave up and stopped taking the rx.
Then later I came to low carb and Paleo, which removes all processed seed oils from diet. So was Eating coconut oil, olive oil and butter and taking 5,000 Vit D3 from the store, 10k in winter. Next spring noticed my skin did not sunburn, measured Vitamin D levels then and ever since have finally been in my goal of 50-80 range year round.No difference In weight loss that I ever noticed but dozens of other good benefits, including possible prevention of a cancer recurrence, why my doctor wants that range.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Apr-03-15 at 02:46.