Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-21-01, 02:10
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 178/150/150
BF:
Progress: 100%
Lightbulb Bœuf bourguignon

Beef bourguignon
Ingredients for 4 persons: 1 tablespoon butter, 2 medium onions (2-1/2" dia) (15 ECC),1.1 lbs stewing beef, 1/2 cup red wine, 1/2 cup water, thyme, bay leaf, salt, pepper, 3 carrots (13 ECC),.
Preparation: 10 minutes. Cooking: 45 minutes.
Preparation: Cut the onions in thin slices. Melt the butter in a frying pan and sauté the onions to a golden color. Cut the beef into 8 cubes. Set them aside and sauté the beef cubes. During this time, peel the carrots and cut them in small slices. Remove the beef cubes from the frying pan and set aside them. Add the water and the wine to the pan. Add salt, pepper, thyme and bay leaf. Simmer for a few seconds before returning the onions, beef cubes, and carrots. Simmer on medium heat for 45 minutes. Transfer to a warm serving dish and serve immediately.
Total ECC: 28; per person: 7 ECC.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-01, 00:48
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 237/211/145
BF:
Progress: 28%
Hi Bill,
I want to cook with wine, but I need the reassurance that the alcohol cooks out. I belive it does. I want to advance to gourmet cooking someday. I just need to know. Please help! This has been bugging me for sometime now

p1
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-02, 09:20

Plan: adkins
Stats: 201/190/170
BF:
Progress:

Yes, when you add alcohol to anything that is cooking at a high temp. the alcohol cooks out and all that is left is the flavor of the wine. So, on that note its always important to use a wine that you like to drink, so that flavor melds with the sauce. In other words no big jug wines! I often cooked with wine, although now I do substitute with a artificial sweetner slurry, if it calls for too much wine.