Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#271   ^
Old Sun, Aug-19-12, 21:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I was at 1.1 this afternoon. I wasn't going to test until next week, but changed my mind.

I was reading more Phinney/Volck last night. They recommend an intake of 5g of sodium per day. I need to remember to drink my broth.

It makes a big difference.......

BTW, Very good results!!! Have you decided on a time of day to test?
Sponsored Links
  #272   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-12, 07:00

BF:

DAY 33 August 19, 2012
Fasting
Glucose 82
Ketones .4*

1172 Calories
29 carbs (22 net)
69 g protein
89 g fat

*Losing weight. Not hungry yesterday allowed me less than 1000 calories. Looking back, the first time I started checking, it took me 10 days to get to NK. After the one day carb load, it was the fourth day before I hit it again. If that holds true, then I will be there in a day or so, but not as long as the first time.

Last edited by Aradasky : Mon, Aug-20-12 at 16:35.
  #273   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-12, 09:00
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'll try to test in the morning, before taking any calories. I did this morning and found I was at .7! This is exactly one week since I started, so clearly what the good doctors said about it always taking 2 weeks isn't right.

I did have something of a carb load before I started too. Maybe the down-days helped me get into ketosis quicker.

I am still going to continue to do 2 down days a week. Tomorrow morning I should see how my down day today will affect my ketosis. It is a slightly higher carb day, I eat loads of veggies, but it is very low calorie.
  #274   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-12, 15:08

BF:

Quote:
I'll try to test in the morning, before taking any calories. I did this morning and found I was at .7! This is exactly one week since I started, so clearly what the good doctors said about it always taking 2 weeks isn't right.

I did have something of a carb load before I started too. Maybe the down-days helped me get into ketosis quicker.

I am still going to continue to do 2 down days a week. Tomorrow morning I should see how my down day today will affect my ketosis. It is a slightly higher carb day, I eat loads of veggies, but it is very low calorie.

Congrats on the .7!
This will be interesting to watch with the higher carbs. I think it should be fine as they seemed more worried about too much protein. You should post your nutritional numbers.
  #275   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-12, 15:25

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by calee
Thank you for this very informative post. I look forward to reading your updates.

Same here, thanks for letting us along for the ride
  #276   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-12, 15:38

BF:

No Problem! I hope we can help in some way!
  #277   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-12, 08:16

BF:

DAY 34 August 21, 2012
fasting
Glucose 88
Ketones .6 !!! *

1394 Calories
54 carbs (37 net-eating some beans for dinner)
75 g protein
103 g fat

*Made it on the fourth day. It seems that if I do have a meal that throws me out it takes four days to get back. At least it has the last two times. I can't say that this is the norm or that it is the same for others, but right now, I am happy to have this tidbit of info. I had the signs of going in yesterday afternoon, very icky, dry mouth and eyes. My dry eyes eased this morning, however, in the back of my throat and mouth it is about half of what I had yesterday. I think this is the acceptable sign of NK for me. Yesterday, I drank a lot, trying to ease the feeling, and I worked out at the gym, lifting weights. I am sore this morning, as I have not worked out that hard in a while.

I am down to twenty-one strips left (not sure if I will order more) so I am not going to test tomorrow, I will assume I am in NK. I want to play with protein and will give myself two days to be here, and stable before I start.

Last edited by Aradasky : Tue, Aug-21-12 at 17:45.
  #278   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-12, 08:50
Experimenter

BF:

So far I just get a little funky flavor in my mouth when I'm in ketosis. I actually GAINED weight on my down day, about half a pound. But I'm in the process of changing thyroid meds, so things are a little funky right now.

My down day yesterday was around 570 calories, 21g carbs, 76 protein, 15 fat

Not as high carb as I thought it would be. I ate a ton of veg.

I completely spaced about testing my ketones this morning. I'll try to remember to do it after my next Down Day (Thursday morning).

Last edited by Nancy LC : Tue, Aug-21-12 at 09:02.
  #279   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-12, 12:45

Stats: 148.6/142.0/140 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 77%

Very interesting stuff. Congrats to both of you for getting into NK quickly.

For my own experiment, I found I lost weight at 20 g net carbs and 75 protein. But on 25 /85 I have not had success. So now I'm going to try 20 g carbs and 80 protein. I was really enjoying the extra vegetables, so I will keep experimenting.

You asked us for ideas to test. I'd love to know if you can get knocked out of NK with on-plan foods. Ie. how many vegetables or nuts or how much protein does it take to cross that threshold. I'm also curious if Splenda impacts NK. Once a week I make homemade ice cream, experimenting with various recipes. They are supposed to be low-carb, but almost every time it triggers me to overeat. It feels like I'm getting an insulin response from it somehow even though the ingredients are "legal.". Anyone have thoughts or similar experience?

I'm very grateful for this discussion. I've done weight watchers with my husband for years, but in this WOE I'm very alone. And I seem to need constant support for this because there is a persistent voice in my head telling me I'm crazy for eating this way. So, thank you all vey much!
  #280   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-12, 18:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonnem200
Very interesting stuff. Congrats to both of you for getting into NK quickly. The first time for me was a little over a week. I was not as careful with my protein before, until I started testing.

For my own experiment, I found I lost weight at 20 g net carbs and 75 protein. But on 25 /85 I have not had success. So now I'm going to try 20 g carbs and 80 protein. I was really enjoying the extra vegetables, so I will keep experimenting.
Good, you are finding out what is best for YOU!

You asked us for ideas to test. I'd love to know if you can get knocked out of NK with on-plan foods. Ie. how many vegetables or nuts or how much protein does it take to cross that threshold. I'm also curious if Splenda impacts NK. I use liquid Splenda (EZSweet) every morning in my coffee and I am still in NK. Once a week I make homemade ice cream, experimenting with various recipes. They are supposed to be low-carb, but almost every time it triggers me to overeat.For me, it is anything extra sweet, like a flavored syrup in my shredded coconut that gives me cravings. I try to stay away from too much sweet. It feels like I'm getting an insulin response from it somehow even though the ingredients are "legal.". You very well may be, some do and it can cause a stall or even gain. Do you have a way to test your glucose after eating the ice Cream? Anyone have thoughts or similar experience?

I'm very grateful for this discussion. I've done weight watchers with my husband for years, but in this WOE I'm very alone. And I seem to need constant support for this because there is a persistent voice in my head telling me I'm crazy for eating this way. So, thank you all vey much!

You are very welcome, and not crazy at all!!! WW is a good way to eat, but this is what works for me. You should start your own journal, it really helps. Come tell me when you do, I will subscribe.
  #281   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-12, 20:15
Experimenter

BF:

I have been drinking diet soda and using stevia and aspartame and haven't been knocked out of NK yet, at least that I'm aware of. I'm not testing everyday due to the expense of the strips.

I'll test tomorrow morning. I'm having a bit of wine tonight and my carbs were above 20 today and my protein was high. But yesterday was a semi-fasting day for me, so I think that might give me a bit more leeway.

We shall see!
  #282   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-12, 12:58

BF:

DAY 35 August 22, 2012
150.6 *

1493 Calories
43 carbs (27 net)
72 g protein
117 g fat

* It is good to be here again. I am going to continue lower calories and lower fat for a while to go a bit lower so I can test protein and not gain above this level. I did not test today, but know I am in NK as the back of my throat, my mouth and eyes are fully involved. It makes me drink more fluids.

I worked hard at the gym this morning, did Heavy weights-- HIT--I will be sore tomorrow.

Last edited by Aradasky : Wed, Aug-22-12 at 18:39.
  #283   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-12, 07:17

BF:

DAY 36 August 23, 2012
(one year eating Low Carb for me today! )
Fasting
Glucose 90
Ketones .3*

2nd readings taken 1 hour after eating eggs, bacon, broccoli and 1tbs coconut oil. I also did an hour of wter areobics this morning.
Weight 150.6
Glucose 83
Ketones 1.1**

1609 Calories
44 carbs (33 net)
88 g protein
121 g fat

* Again, for me, these elusive numbers are playing games. One thing that may have caused a strange number is that I had sun tea all day yesterday, not herbal, and even though I drank more than enough, I had leg cramps last night. I assume that to be because I also forgot my evening salt and was a bit dehydrated. I woke up at 3am peed, weighed at 150.6, took a magnesium with 6oz of water, went back to bed, got up at 5, peed, weighed 151.2 and tested with these numbers. If they are that volatile it is going to be hard to know if protein is really a problem. I may be able to tell by my glucose number. I need to check later today, after my water aerobics and eating. Geesh….

**I knew I was deeper into ketosis than the meter showed fasting. I felt in my mouth, back of throat and eyes. Yes! Had a complete clean out this am (TMI) and am back. LOL I am not sure fasting meter reads are as good for me, maybe others, but I have better luck later in the day.

Last edited by Aradasky : Thu, Aug-23-12 at 20:04.
  #284   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-12, 09:13
Experimenter

BF:

Maybe it's your scales. My new scales are very reliable.
  #285   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-12, 10:07

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Maybe it's your scales. My new scales are very reliable.

Or maybe you need new batteries?