Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 06:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/152.5/135 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 42%
Default To exercise or not to exercise

While your on induction should you exercise? If I were expected to exercise today I think I'd pass out! I know that it will only assist your weight loss but is it too much for your body while your physical is going through withdrawal?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 06:46
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hello!

It's an individual thing - some people feel great while on induction, so they go ahead and exercise. But most people to feel like heck. It's okay to wait a week or two. Then, you should exercise, for sure! Like the good Dr A wrote, "exercise is non-negotiable."

Enjoy! Hope you're feeling 110% soon!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 13:01

Plan: Atkins+BFL
Stats: 208/188.5/165 Male 5 ft 9.5 in
BF:27.5%
Progress: 45%
Default Wait till you get through induction

I say no. My research and my experience both were pretty clear that you should let your body tell you when it's ready. You'll know because the energy will come flooding back and you will be eager to exercise.

Note that this can happen as soon as a week and as long as 5-6 weeks. Fortunately it's one of those things that "when it happens you know it".

Let your body just deal with one big thing at a time. Just my $.02.

Last edited by lostarts : Wed, Jul-16-03 at 06:21.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 13:44

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/210/160 Male 5' 7"
BF:31%/31%/24%
Progress: 0%

It was six weeks after I started low-carbing before I felt like I was ready to exercise. Even then, I started with just 20 min. on a treadmill, at 2.0 mph, without any incline.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 14:25
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Let your body tell you when you're ready. If induction has laid you low, I vote you give it a rest, too.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 16:29

Plan: Induction
Stats: 215/214/150 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:

I think you should at least take walks. No strenuous aerobic excercise if your body doesn't feel up to it. But the movement will help you with your weight loss.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 05:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins - Modified
Stats: 169/165/138 Female 67 inches
BF:32%/???/18%
Progress: 0%

I laid off exercise for the 1st week, because I was so fatigued! I started up again week 2 and I started slowly (15 minutes on bike, one body part a day weight training). This is day 15 for me, and I am up my normal 45 minutes treadmill, 12 minute bike, and 2 body part split routine weight training. So....give yourself time... You'll get there! Give your body the rest it needs.

hope this helps

ciao
armana
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 08:00
Registered Member

Plan: Vegetarian Protein Power
Stats: 190/180/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 25%

I'm on week three right now and the first two weeks wore me out. I decided to get my ass in gear and forced myself to go for a run last weekend despite my fatigue and it actually did wonders to boost my energy levels back up. I've been running each day since, and getting all that oxygen into my system & working out some of my muscles has really helped. I'm not about to try to tackle a half marathon or anything just yet, but a 20 minute jog each day has made a big difference to me this week. I may still fall into bed by 10 each night but I'm not feeling wiped out all day.

I'd say listen to your body but try to strike a balance...objects at rest tend to stay at rest and all of that. Try going for a power walk or canoeing or something not uber-strenuous but that gets your heart rate up and your body working. You can increase intensity as your body adjusts.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 08:06
Registered Member

Plan: Vegetarian Protein Power
Stats: 190/180/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 25%

One more thing...have you been taking a vitamin supplement at all? There's a lot of things your body needs that are hard to get on the most liberal of diets and lacking in certain things like B vitamins, iron, etc will have a big impact on your energy levels. Even if absorption isn't 100% its still going to help your body fulfill all of its tasks.