Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-22-05, 18:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/241/170 Female 5'4"
BF:40%/31%/29%
Progress: 5%
Question Phase 1 question

I am wondering, is it a really bad thing to stay phase 1 of SB longer than the 2 weeks recommended really bad? I want to loose as much as I can, but I want it to come off in a timely manner so I see results really fast. That will keep me motivated. Do you loose inches faster than pounds eating the South Beach way?? I feel stupid asking these questions, but I really need to know!

Thanks for all of your help.

Last edited by 3shewolf8 : Tue, Nov-22-05 at 19:17. Reason: Used the wrong word
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-22-05, 18:54
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Induction? Have you read the SB book yet? If not, I think you should make it your business to do so......we do not call it induction on SB...its phase I and II.....

as for your question, it is OK for another couple of weeks but you do need to begin eating more veggies before you even think about adding in fruit.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-22-05, 19:19

It's funny, but people seem to be way over sensitive in this forum. Sorry, I used the wrong wording to my question!! I fixed it right away! I had a legitimate question, and was hoping to get answered in a friendly manner. Don't worry, I'll figure stuff out on my own next time. Geez.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-23-05, 13:26

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

I don't think there's any harm in staying on Phase I longer than two weeks - I stayed on Induction for over 6 months on Atkins.

Vikki
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-23-05, 15:10

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 295/222.5/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Extending Phase 1

I found the following on another site:

I was reading on a very reputable website that has a section all about the South Beach Diet and it was mentioned that if obese, one could stay on Phase 1 longer than 2 weeks. I hadn't ever seen this in print before but, after further searching, I found this.

Extending Phase 1?

Q: Is it acceptable to remain in Phase 1 longer than two weeks if you have more than 100 pounds to lose?

A: (Published September 16, 2003) Yes, if you still have a lot of weight to lose, it is acceptable to stay in Phase 1 for longer periods.

Typically, we recommend that dieters extend Phase 1 if they have a particularly high body mass index (BMI), which is a measure of body fat based on height and weight. Someone with a BMI over 30 (which is considered obese), for instance, can stay in Phase 1 for three or four weeks, while someone with a BMI over 35 (which is considered morbid obesity) can stay on Phase 1 for up to two months. For those whose BMI is below 30, we recommend the regular two-week period.

If you're staying in Phase 1 for an extended period, it is important to exercise to maintain muscle and bone mass, and to ensure that the weight you're losing is fat (and not lean body mass). Try aerobics, a stationary bike, swimming, or walking for at least 20 minutes a day.

Dr. Agatston
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-23-05, 15:28

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

Thanks for the info, I was wrong with my advice. I'm gonna follow the plan as it is written.

Vikki
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-24-05, 10:00

Is there a link that can help you figure out you BMI percentage? The company I work for is opening a work-out facitlity next week, and there are many really good machines that I want to use. I am starting a real schedule very soon.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-28-05, 22:10
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shewolf8
It's funny, but people seem to be way over sensitive in this forum. Sorry, I used the wrong wording to my question!! I fixed it right away! I had a legitimate question, and was hoping to get answered in a friendly manner. Don't worry, I'll figure stuff out on my own next time. Geez.

Your comments have been bothering me. I wasn't going to respond but I feel that I must say something to you.

I'd like you to notice the amount of total posts that I have on this forum, over 5000. I help alot of people here and have for quite a while now. Many people on atkins come here to switch without reading the book and this gets me annoyed. Thats why when you typed Induction, I asked if you are reading the book. I'm sorry that you took it the way that you did. Please accept my apology.

I see that you have been on this board for over 2 yrs now and have not posted very much. Perhaps if you had assisted/supported as many as I have, you'd understand why I got annoyed. I don't have time to explain this plan to those who do not even read the book first. I do believe that you are reading or have read the book and for this, I'm sorry.

We are not a bunch of snobs here....I wish you the very best on your journey!!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-29-05, 04:57

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 319/195/175 Female 177
BF:
Progress: 86%

Hey 3She... How's it going?

I've been on the phase 1 of SB since I got here. I've only recently started adding in an apple a day and now the odd glass of wine (which I think is making me fluctuate a pound here and there) I've been on P1 for about 3 months, I think?
I have gluten intollerance and thyroid probs so I know that I can't go too far off P1 otherwise I won't lose any weight at all.
I tend to eat lots of salads and veg, plus veg soup, cottage cheese, Laughing Cow light cheese triangles and that sort of thing. If I have an apple, I'll have the cheese with it to keep it super low GI.
I think you have to do what suits you at the end of the day and learn how best you respond to whatever you eat. I've found that takes time but does get easier.

Best of luck

Annabel
x
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Dec-03-05, 09:50

Plan: Zone
Stats: 235/190/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Default Sensitivity

yea, Shewolf, I felt the same way you did about the sensitivity issue. You came here seeking help, advice, support and made a very understandable mistake. And, I'm sure it wasn't intentional. The response you got was inappropriate.

And Judy, I orignially came to some of these threads because of your wonderful advice and knowledge about the SB Plan. No one can argue the help you have obviously given hundreds of people. However, when you start to take it personaly and get 'annoyed' with innocent mistakes, it might be time to take a break!

k
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Dec-03-05, 18:59
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrine77
And Judy, I orignially came to some of these threads because of your wonderful advice and knowledge about the SB Plan. No one can argue the help you have obviously given hundreds of people. However, when you start to take it personaly and get 'annoyed' with innocent mistakes, it might be time to take a break!

hmmmmmmmmmm............First of all.....thanks for your feedback....I think!!

I'm not even sure how to respond to this. I do and always will get annoyed at those who do not read the book and expect to get information just by asking. I did, however, realize that shewolf had read the book and I offered my apologies......now you show up to chastise me further?

What did you expect to accomplish?

I wish you the very best on your journey. You and I are very close in age, I was born in 1950. I've had a wonderful run in the past 19 months on South Beach and wish you the same. I've lost well over 100 lbs and am only 2 lbs from my goal.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Dec-04-05, 11:27

Plan: Zone
Stats: 235/190/145 Female 5'6"
BF:

Suddenly I don't feel so safe here.

Finding that a successful senior member of the forum is annoyed, frustrated, haughty and kurt with people who are hurting and looking for help is very disappointing.

I'm outta here!
k
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Dec-04-05, 13:15

Plan: Bariatric Surgery/S.Beach
Stats: 280/143/145 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:way/2/much
Progress: 101%

katrine77...I'd like to say I'm sorry you don't feel safe, and feel the need to leave. But if that is truely how you feel behaps you would be SAFER not posting here.

When I frist came to this forum, I used the WRONG TREMS. Judy corrected me at that time. And she asked me if I had read the SB book. I offered my apologizes and that I did read the book, but just wasn't totally thinking SB yet.

I was in the wrong and admitted it. Did I take it personal, no way. I said I would try and do better wording my posts. Did I ask Judy for more help, YES, and I still ask for help.

I changed to SB almost 17 months ago. I've been at this forum for 13 months.

I'm not totally sure how this thread has gotten off its subject.
But the question asked and was answered, apologizes were offered.
Why keep this going? Move on.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Dec-04-05, 16:52

Plan: South Beach(Phase III)
Stats: 235/187/190 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 107%

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrine77
people who are hurting and looking for help is very disappointing.

I'm outta here!
k

Hurting? Safe? Wow! Nothing like injecting a little drama when none is required.

In my 2 years here, I've never seen anyone who was hurting and looking for support in the SB forum treated with anything but compasion and respect.

Don't let the door.......
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Dec-06-05, 19:01
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 160/150/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default A SB Newbie....Tip-Toeing in here!

Hi........I'm starting SB tomorrow. I wrote on the Intro thread, but I think I'll be home here. I live in a small town in MO...will have to borrow a book (I promise to read it, really I do!!! until I can get to a big town that has a book store....or order on line. BUT, in the meantime, can I ask questions here? I'll try to look it up in the book first, right? I don't want to annoy anyone. Just tell me how to "be" here....I really need this to work. My doctor put me on the SB diet this morning....I'm starting tomorrow. I'm scared and confused. Thank goodness JudyNYC spelled out some of the program. I'll do my best.