Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 21:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217.8/190.9/154 Female 165cm
BF:
Progress: 42%
Unhappy all to new to me, this low carb?

Hi there my name is Michele. I live in Maitland, NSW, Australia. I am 34 years old and have a six year old son called Alexander.

I only started this diet yesterday, and so far so good, except for the major headache from caffeine withdrawal

Had a hell of a time just trying to get onto the forum, my best friend Rach (jordy05) helped me out and now I am here to stay!!!

Im having trouble getting those pork crackle things. my Woolworths or Coles dont have them.

So how long is it before you stop craving bread?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 21:38

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268.4/207.9/154 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 53%

hi cheley,,,, give it a few days and you will start feeling great like me,,,,, happy i could help you get into the forum,,, (what would you do with out me? lol) looks like puter lessons coming up for you,,, the hard work has been done for you now,,, you got me and i know my way round this place.. saved you hours of fiddling i bet..... together we can do this... together we can succeed........... all my love and hugs,,,,, rachael xoxo.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 21:47
Registered Member

Plan: X-Factor/Atkins
Stats: 202/157/145 Male 173cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Welcome Cheley

Congratulations on choosing the best WOE around

The craving stops in 2 - 3 days. It will stop. You will be wonderful then.

My local coles or safeway don't have Pork Krackles either. I have to go to the next suburb to get them. They are good, but you get sick of the taste if you hav eit by itself. Try some LC dips with them. My favourite is the Yumi brand Eggplant dip.

C
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 21:57

BF:

wow the idea of using dip with the pork crackles is an excellent idea,,, wish i had thought of that,,,, thanks casval,,, keep us posted on other ideas you have,,,,,, rachael
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 21:59
Registered Member

BF:

thanks casval,
I'll keep a look out for that dip, sounds yummy, love eggplant!

cheley.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 22:13
Registered Member

BF:

No worries Using dips, you can change the flavour. Bad thing is, I spend a fortune on dips these days

I sometimes make my own, with such things as ham spread, mashed hard boiled eggs, mayo and cardini's caesar dressing, some cottage cheese, sour cream, herbs, etc, etc, etc. You can be as creative as you want.

Greg

Last edited by casval : Mon, Jul-14-03 at 22:14.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 22:18

BF:

casval,,,,,how does the x factor plan differ from atkins,,,,or is it the same sort of thing,,,, and fill us in on your progress and how long you been on this plan,,,weight loss and such,,,do you have a journal? keep up the good work and thoughts are with you.... wish us luck,,,, i started atkins 3 weeks ago,,lost 4 kilo,,,, cheley is new to this day 2,,, thanks to me getting her started,,,, hoping to start a journal tonight,,,,bye for now,,rach
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 22:29
Registered Member

Plan: Aitken/pp
Stats: 204/200/166 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I only started this diet yesterday, and so far so good, except for the major headache from caffeine withdrawal

Why give up Coffee. Just have one cup a day should be fine with some cream in it as a treat. Maitland not far from Newcastle and their big Wollies/Coles should have them. I can't get them here either. Ask your butcher for a sheet of pork rind, spray with olive oil spray sprinkle with lemon pepper and some salt and make your own. SO much cheaper.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 22:49
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Rachel

Someone else asked that same question earlier. I wrote an explanation here. It's basically a more naturapathic approach to LCing. It works well, but stricter than atkins. Over the past month, I have gradually combined/shifted over to Atkins. I have lost about 15kg off the scales, unfortunately, I didn't measure myself before I started. But I can tell you that I dropped from a size 36 pants to size 32. I have been gymming as well, mainly focusing on weight training. So a lot more fat has come off but have been replaced with muscle mass.

Your progress sounds really good. Keep it up. Don't you feel wonderful on WOE? Energy levels are fantastic! I used to feel tired after a small bit of exercise. Nowadays, after some strenuous exercise, all I need is a few minutes to recuperate and I'm back where I started from.

Quote:
Going2doit
Why give up Coffee

Because caffeine may provoke an insulin response, much like aspartame, saccharine, alcohol and the like. Insulin means cravings and slowed weight loss

Pork Krackles is, as far as I can work out, reconstituted pork rind. That's why it melts in your mouth Much easier on the teeth.

Greg

Last edited by casval : Mon, Jul-14-03 at 22:50.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 06:20

Stats: 202/198.4/143
BF:
Progress: 6%

Hi Michele,

Congrats on starting low carbing! I thought I would pass on a handy trick that i've picked up for the bread craving. Use lettuce! Whenever I want to have a sandwich I just use a huge lettuce leaf and fill it full of stuff and roll it up so it's kinda like pita bread. I've also found that this works for tacos. My partner and I are getting used to our fake taco shells and you actually don't end up missing bread, or taco shells that much cause your still getting the same taste of everything else.

I hope this helps!

Kirria
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 23:18
Registered Member

BF:
Talking Whats up Doc?

Thanks Kirria,

Yes I have now discovered the true use for lettuce, trouble is now I go through it like a rabbit! Im afraid I many develop long floppy ears and a twitchy pink nose! Lol.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 18:17

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 415/338.8/170 Female 177cm
BF:unknown
Progress: 31%

Hi there

If you are down in Newcastle, you can find the Pork Krackles at the Coles at Waratah or Woolworths at Garden City (I live in Hamilton ), there are also other types of pork crackling snacks at a the Bilo (I think thats what it is) at Telarah, they are in the chip section as you walk in the door. Otherwise Woolworths sells pork rinds in the pork section of their meat department, cut as much fat off it as possible, salt and rub olive oil in it and bake it on a rack in the oven until crunchy - I tend to keep cutting the fat off it until it is just the skin....

Congrats on starting this WOL ....

Fiona
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 03:08

BF:

hi cheley,,, last time i saw you i thought you kinda looked different.... its not the ears or anything,,, its the fact that when you walked up to me you said **whats up doc**. hehe.... keep up the good work and save me some of that lettuce for when i get there,,,,lol,,,, but hold the BBQ sauce .... LOL... you could have warned me before i ate it,,,thanks very much,,,,hehe,,, love ya mate,,RACH