Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-01, 21:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 171/147/125
BF:
Progress: 52%
Thumbs up More Low Carb bars available

This week I noticed there seem to be more low carb, high protein bars available in the stores. I was in a health food store in Toronto (Evergreen) and they had the infamous Dr's Diet bars for $2.99. I tried the peanut butter / chocolate, and chocolate brownie. PB didn't taste much like PB but the brownie one was actually quite good.

Then in the little Nutrition House store in my local mall they had 3 new kinds of bars that are low carb! Protein Revolution, Complete Protein Diet Bars $2.99
( http://www.optimumnutrition.com/pro...p?Inventory=516 ) and Precision bars by Sci Fit $3.69. Anybody tried the last 2? I've had Protein Revolution and wasn't too impressed, it was OK though.

The prices seem to be getting a little more reasonable too.

Also at Nutrition House they have a drink in the cooler, about a 1.5 L bottle, I think it was called IsoCarb, $4.99, pretty pricey. Kinda looked like a Gatorade type thing.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-01, 14:18
Registered Member

Plan: Adkins, Carb Solutions,my own modified
Stats: 156/128/&;130
BF:
Progress:
Default finding low carb at grocery stores

I found some bars and drinks called Carb Solutions. And buying a box of 5 get the 6th free it costs me about $8.00 and they have two grms of carbs in the bars and 4 gms of carbs in the drinks,some of the bars are really good. You can get them at walmart and Bakers supermarkets. Also there's another type of bar at the Walmart I think its Dr. Atkins. Also at GNC or any health food store they have various types of Low Carb products. I buy and try. I know one thing my husband won't touch them. But I'm use to eating diet food. There easy and to-go anytime. Sometimes pricey, but I think I could buy an ice cream for $2.00 and get 2lbs with it or pay the $2.00 and no added features. Its a choice that only you can make for yourself.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-01, 16:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 171/147/125
BF:
Progress: 52%

I should have specified I was talking about Canada. I forget there are so many Americans on this forum now! All my prices were in Canadian $. Low carb products are much more difficult to find here. We don't have Carb Solutions and I have only ever seen Atkins bars at 1 Walmart and they don't have them any more. They have them at some health stores including GNC but they are $5 Canadian EACH at GNC.

I don't think most Americans realize how lucky they are to have the variety available to them that they have, and that's for everything, not just low carb.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-01, 16:21
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%

hi Deirdre,

I was in Herbie's the other day (do you have a Herbie's in or near Cobourg?) ... anyway, saw the Atkins bars, at $4.29 each, plus taxes. I checked the label .... and recalled some time ago that a member from Quebec was asking why the bars weren't available in Montreal. It had to do with no French on the label. I remember thinking that's odd, since the law is very clear that products made and distributed in Canada MUST have both official languages.

Well, checked the bar, and sure enough, said MADE IN CANADA. But the distributor was in NY!! That's why they cost so darn much ... we pay the shipping and duties TWICE ... first to get them from here to there, then back here again!!! Also why there's no French on the label.

Why is there no Cdn distributor??? Territorial rights??? Not that I want to buy them, I hear they don't taste very good .. but some do.

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-01, 10:17

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Low-Carb Products

I have been eating the CarbSolution bars for a couple of months now, and I really do like them.
The only problem I see, though, is that the numbers don't add up. Any way, the package indicates the bars have 230 calories. The breakdown is 8g fat; 2g total carbs (no dietary fiber); 22g protein.

By my calculations, these numbers do not add up to 230 calories. There must be quite a few hidden carbs in there somewhere. I just hate it when the food manufacturers lie to us.

Would someone please add up the numbers and see what you get. Maybe I don't know what I'm doing.

Thanks a lot.