Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-01, 14:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default CHOCO-SLIM

i just tried a chocolate bar that i bought at pharma plus. it's a no-sugar milk chocolate. it tasted really good! i prefer dark chocolate, but i still enjoyed the bar. it was $1.49 for the 40g bar. it stated 2.3g of carb for the serving. when i entered the date into the hidden carb calculator, it said 17.55g. what's up with this? how could there be such a big difference. the ingredients are: malitol,cocoa butter,skim milk powder, inulin,cocoa liquor,butter oil,soy lecithin,vanilla extract, acesulfame potassium. what are the hidden carbs? i was really disappointed. i thought i'd finally found a great lc chocolate bar. it's probably best that i don't find one. one chocolate bar doesn't satisfy me. i like to eat chocolate until i feel sick!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-01, 15:22

Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

Debbie...I can't say for sure....but double read that label...I think it's the bar I thought had 2.3 grams the way they had the label printed up...and then after re-reading it, it was actually a lot more.

Did it come in a cardboard type container, rather than a paper wrapper??

I'll check next time I'm in the "treat" area of a store.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-01, 15:28

Stats: 171/147/125
BF:
Progress: 52%

I believe that particular bar is higher in carbs than most sugar free chocolate. Might have to do with the way they count the maltitol or maybe some of the other ingredients have more carbs, like the skim milk powder. Also, isn't the serving size on those only for 1/4 bar or something? I know there's a reason I never bought it. If you get over to Whitby, check out the General Store in the mall, they have a good variety of sugar free chocolate and candy.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-01, 16:32

BF:

sharon, it did come wrapped in cardboard. it says 40g on the box and it says 1 serving is 40g. so the carb count that they list is for the whole bar. deirdre, i think that you're thinking of the cavalier bars.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-01, 13:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Default maltitol lactitol sorbitol etc etc

all the sugarfree chocolate/candy is made with the bulk sweeteners, the sugar alcohols... Ross, ChocoSlim, Cavalier, etc.

the hidden carb calculator, to get the most accurate count, should divvy up total CALORIES by fat, protein and carb calories/per/gram and the final answer should apply to some consistent size (cuz the serving can be a whole bar or a part of a bar, so I use my personal hypothetical serving size of 10g by weight) for comparison purposes. Then apply that count to the whole thing by weight.

Doesn't matter if it's a Ross bar at 35g weight the whole bar or a ChocoSlim at 40g weight the whole bar. Who eats a part of a bar anyway??? LOL! You need to get the carb count by the amount you eat, whatever it says on the label... remember TANSTAAFL ... There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch (or free chocolate).

Urk. Pity.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-01, 17:47

BF:

judi, i guess live and learn applies here!