Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-04, 14:33
Registered Member

Plan: South Bech Diet
Stats: 187/171.6/132 Female 161cm
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default Will squatting and lunges bulk me up?

I've heard Michael Thurman say that people with big hips and butt shouldn't do squats or lunges as this will only bulk up the muscle under the fat. I am a definate pear (or spoon) and would like some exercises to reduce these areas. I'm currently doing low impact aerobics at home with an exercise video. I go walking also when it's sunny out side. I live in Auckland New Zealand. I also need exercises I can do at home as I have 3 children, and unable to go to a gym. I do have access to a bench press, and small 5lbs hand weights. Any ideas? Cheers Antoinette
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 07:45
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I don't know about the bulking up thing, but I just ordered the DVD "I Want That Body" with Tammi Lee Webb. It has three sections — I Want Those Arms, Abs and Buns. The Buns workout (I've only done the beginner, not the advanced) is full of lunges and squats and it's designed to tone your thighs and butt. And boy, is it difficult for an out-of-shape blob like me! It's a 15-minute workout and I do it three times a week — the other three days I do the Arms workout, which I love. Just thought I would mention this as a possible workout for you, if you're looking for a video to try.

You probably know that you can't spot-reduce (you can't lose fat in one area by working it out), but you can tone and shape the muscles that lie under the fat, and more muscles mean more calories burned and hence more fat lost.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 08:13

Plan: Intermittent fast/Lowcarb
Stats: 251/199/180 Male 5 ft 10 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

No worries, antojak You don't need to fear squats or lunges. They are excellent exercises because they work the biggest muscle groups in your body, the glutes and quads. This will in turn rev up your metabolism to burn off fat. By not exercising these large muscles, you are cheating yourself horribly!

Bulking up takes lifting very heavy weights and consuming excess calories on the order of 3000-5000 per day. It also takes several weeks to add just a few pounds of quality muscle - and that's for a male. Women have even greater difficulty gaining muscle. So you simply don't need to worry about that!

In any event, I suspect that even if you were intentionally bulking muscle, fat loss due to increased metabolism would *more* than compensate for it. For what it's worth...
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 08:14

Plan: X-Factor
Stats: 175/161/220 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: -31%

I would definitely advise that you do squats, lunges etc and keep the weights reasonable (60-70% of your 1-rep max).

The female body doesn't really respond as well to weights so you shouldn't bulk up, and if you stay on a low carb diet then you will burn up lots of fat during and after the exercise.

Also, please note that the quadriceps are the largest muscle in the human body so any muscle mass you do add to your legs will raise your resting metabolic rate - a very beneficial result for fat loss.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 08:38
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Great posts maddogtc and idahospud!

I love my squats and (stationary) lunges. Walking lunges are awesome, too.

My squat weight is between 95 pounds and 135 pounds, depending on what I'm doing. This has so far done nothing but help lean me out. And I'm bottom-heavy.

I love squats
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 10:26

Plan: Currently on PSMF cycle
Stats: 198/157/150 Female 5'9"
BF:? No thank U !!
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built
I love squats

Built, you're killin' me!! I have a feeling it will take me some time to fall in love with these bad boys!! OMG!! I decided to take the plunge (or the lunge in this case) and get off the machines and do some proper squats and lunges. Well...holy crap!! What a difference!! I am feeling the actual length of the muscles in my legs today! From the side of my a** all the way down the back to my knees!! Those puppies are targeting the muscles better than any machine I've tried !! I was wondering though, the top front of my thighs are not really "sore" but the bottom front (above my knees) has definately been targeted. Is this what I should be going for or is there an exercise/technique to target the top front of the thighs? How often should we exercise these muscles for optimum gain? (ie. Should I wait until I can comfortably navigate the stairs again for a repeat performance?? )
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 10:44

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

Delta Fox I feel your pain!

I have been doing squats (305 pounds now). But I recently added weighted lunges (front, side and plie). My home gym is in the basement and its a killer trying to get up the stairs!
What is worse though is having to go back down stairs to get something you forgot! Going down the stairs after leg night is worse than going up!

Jag
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 10:45
Registered Member

BF:

I normally do squats once a week. Sometimes, I go heavy (135 lbs) in short sets, sometimes, I go lighter in multiple, longer sets (last week I did 3 sets of 24 squats with 95 pounds as part of my current cutting programme), it all depends on what I'm doing at the time.

Proper squat form is weird - you need to stick your ass OUT, as if you're sitting back onto a chair that's a little too far away, and your chest out. Back should be ARCHED. Knees over toes, not in FRONT of toes.

Start LIGHT - I start people using nothing but their own body when I show them this exercise. Once you can do three sets of 8 with no pain the next day, it's time to add dumbbells.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 10:46
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagbender
Going down the stairs after leg night is worse than going up!

Yes, indeed. Trying to sit down isn't exactly graceful either!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 10:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagbender
Delta Fox I feel your pain!

I have been doing squats (305 pounds now). But I recently added weighted lunges (front, side and plie). My home gym is in the basement and its a killer trying to get up the stairs!
What is worse though is having to go back down stairs to get something you forgot! Going down the stairs after leg night is worse than going up!

Jag

I totally agree!! I found myself looking at the mail laying at the bottom of the 14 stairs going down to my front door this morn and had to psych myself up to make the trek!! Oh, ah, ey!!.....
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 10:51

Quote:
Yes, indeed. Trying to sit down isn't exactly graceful either!

Expecially with all the, ahem, water we are consuming!!!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 11:01

Quote:
I normally do squats once a week. Sometimes, I go heavy (135 lbs) in short sets, sometimes, I go lighter in multiple, longer sets (last week I did 3 sets of 24 squats with 95 pounds as part of my current cutting programme), it all depends on what I'm doing at the time.

Wow, I am starting with a light bar across my shoulders so I can concentrate on proper form and feeling it BIG time!!

Quote:
Proper squat form is weird - you need to stick your ass OUT, as if you're sitting back onto a chair that's a little too far away, and your chest out. Back should be ARCHED. Knees over toes, not in FRONT of toes.

I was watching myself in the mirror (shiver..) and was doing them just as you described. My legs are so long and I have a short fat (not forever, just for now!!) torso so I felt really gross while doing them. I found that in order for my feet to be perfectly planted in the floor I didn't have a choice but to arch my back and stick my chest out. Good to know it's the way I SHOULD look!!

Quote:
Start LIGHT - I start people using nothing but their own body when I show them this exercise. Once you can do three sets of 8 with no pain the next day, it's time to add dumbbells.

Again, that is all the weight (other than a pretty light bar...maby 5-8 lbs???) that I am doing. Will once a week be enough to improve at this light weight?
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 11:10

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 135/130.5/120 Female 5'4"
BF:26/???/18
Progress: 30%

Have any of you discovered walking down the stairs sideways is easier than going down straight?? Or am I just weird???
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 11:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: // Male 69 inches
BF:27%/21%/15%
Progress: -27977%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAimee
Have any of you discovered walking down the stairs sideways is easier than going down straight?? Or am I just weird???

Usually on a hard leg day I find rolling or falling down the stairs to be the easiest way to get down... ;-)
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 11:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAimee

Willing to try anything to make it easier!!