Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 13:14

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%
Default Some wonderful meals!

Hello vegetarian low carbers!

I just have had some wonderful meals lately and I thought I should share them with you. I know I am always looking for new ideas!

The following recipes are ones that even my non low carb non vegetarian husband loved!!

Awesome Eggplant Rollatini
from www.allrecipes.com

6 eggs, lightly beaten, divded
2 tablespoons garlic powder, divided
2 cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup vegetable oil for frying
2 large eggplant, peeled and sliced
1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 (10 ounce) package chopped frozen spinach, thawed and pressed
1 (28 ounce) jar tomato pasta sauce, divided

Directions
1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2 In a shallow mixing bowl combine 5 eggs, 1 tablespoon garlic powder, 1 cup Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. In a separate, shallow dish or plate, pour the flour.
3 Heat oil in a large, deep skillet. Dredge eggplant slices in flour, then in egg mixture and fry slices 2 or 3 at a time in hot oil. Place fried slices on a paper towel lined plate to drain.
4 In a large bowl combine ricotta, 1/2 cup mozzarella, remaining 1 cup Parmesan, remaining 1 tablespoon garlic powder, 1 egg, parsley and spinach; mix well.
5 Spread about 1/3 of the pasta sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Place about 2 tablespoons of spinach mixture in the center of each eggplant slice and roll securely; place in prepared pan. Pour remaining pasta sauce over eggplant rolls and top with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.
6 Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.

I left out the flour and substituted 1/2 C. atkins bake mix!
7 Carbs per roll for us - we only ended up using 1 1/2 eggplant and we made twelve rolls.

Chilies Stuffed With Scrambled Eggs and Chihuahua Cheese Sauce

1 1/2 C. whipping cream
1 1/2 C. grated queso chihuahua (we just used whatever mexican cheese sounded good)

6 large fresh poblano chilies

1 TBSP fake bacon bits
1 TBSP butter
12 eggs

2 dried guajillos chilies, seeded and sliced thinly (optional, but they actually are tasty!)
sliced tomatoes

1. Bring cream to boil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in cheese. Boil sauce until reduced to 1 C., whisking occasionally, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

If you do not eat all the sauce the first day it will be good reheated other days!

2. Char poblano chilies over flame or in broiler until blackened. Place in paper bag or container 10 minutes. Peel chilies, cut 1 slit lengthwise down side and remove seeds.

3. Heat butter in skillet. Add whisked eggs and stir until gently set. Mix in bacon bits.

4. Spoon eggs into roasted chilies and top with cheese sauce. Garnish with gaujillo chilies and tomatoes.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 06:20
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

That does sound good! I should get you to come over and make it for me-

LOVE eggplant when it is done right.