Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 07:45

Plan: new high protein diet
Stats: 176/168/150
BF:
Progress: 31%
Question Pork Scratchings????

When doing a LC diet like the New High Protein Diet (Prof Charles Clark) is it ok to eat pork scratchings???

Does anyone know their carb count or even if they have one???

Cheers

SlimUK

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 01:27
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 154/128/120
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default Pork Scratchings

Hi Slim

Professor Clark mentions in his book that snacks that consist mainly of protein and fat are best, but that there aren't many of those - but Pork Scratchings actually fit the bill nicely

You have to be careful though as some manufacturers feel the need to put all sorts of additives in, as well as sugar (cunningly disguised by describing it as dextrose or another form of sugar ) so make sure you read the label

Pub Original Pork brand Scratchings are just pork rinds & salt with a bit of seasoning and are extremely low carb (less than 1gm per bag I believe), and the Pork Crunch they do is a puffed variety, really crispy and tasty and declared as zero carb

They're also great for crunching up and using as coating for meat, fish, chicken etc.

Hope this helps

Chrissy
www.sugarlite.co.uk
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-08-02, 01:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 252/238/140
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Pork Scratchings

I notice that Atkins seems to use a great deal of pork rinds. Are these the same as pork scratchings? Does anyone know of anything that can be used as a substitute for those of us who don't eat pork?
Thanks
Lynne
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-08-02, 01:57

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Exclamation Pork rinds/Pork scratchings

Hi Lynne

Yes, pork rinds are the same as pork scratchings. Not something that is easily come by in the UK, although there are pockets where they are easy to be obtained.

In many low carb recipes they are used as the equivalent of breading. I have never used them for this purpose and very rarely had them at all.

Sorry, can't help on an alternative, as this is already an alternative, if you see what I mean.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-08-02, 02:58
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 154/128/120
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default Pork Scratchings

Hi Lynne

There is another substitute for high carb breading and coating crumbs in the form of Keto Crumbs.

They come in Original, Cajun Style or Italian Style and are made of textured vegetable protein, soy protein isolate, wheat gluten, whole grain fibre, rice flour, salt, malt.

They're all 4gms carbs per serving, which is enough to coat 4 x 6oz pieces of chicken. They're great for coating all sorts of things, including fish, and I've used them to make a KFC style chicken in my deep fat fryer

Hope this helps

Chrissy
www.sugarlite.co.uk
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-08-02, 16:02

Stats: 252/238/140
BF:
Progress: 13%

Many thanks.
Lynne
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 15:35

Stats: 308/221/199 Female 63 inches
BF:ugh!
Progress: 80%
Default Re: Pork rinds/Pork scratchings

Quote:
Originally posted by Little Ann
Hi Lynne

Yes, pork rinds are the same as pork scratchings.

Pork rinds and pork scratchings are different! Pork rinds are basically fried pork fat, all bubbly and crisp.
Pork scratchings (at least the sort i've eaten... Mr B's or something like that... small white packet with black & red writing) have dextrose and rusk added... both low-carb no-no's.

Maybe you have seen a different sort of pork scratchings than these, but i just wanted to warn that these type are not the same as American pork rinds, and shouldnt be eaten on Atkins.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 20:16

Thumbs down

Wow.. you can only edit posts up to 10 minutes later?!?!

I went back to edit my previous post about the pork scratchings,,, I thought it might sound like i was a bit of a know-all (for someone who is only on day 2 of Atkins!)... didnt mean it to sound that way, i was just wanting to help.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 02:58

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Exclamation Editing Posts

Hi IcicleWork

With regard to editing posts, you should have been able to do this by clicking on the edit/delete icon at the bottom of your post. The time limit is 48 hours. See this link. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...t=Editing+posts
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 15:49

I did try, Ann, but i got a message saying Sorry, you only have 10 minutes to edit posts. Thanks for your help, though. I'll just leave it for the moment!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jan-18-03, 03:57
Registered Member

Plan: dr atkins
Stats: 290/290/140
BF:
Progress: 0%

Iciclework

many thanks have been munching on prok crackles for snacks in the afternoon. only done it for a couple of days but now will stop. big shame as they were a real treat!!!!!! you dont know where we can get the ok kinda rind do you?
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 02:54

My mum sends them to me from America... plain ones with no seasoning.
However, you can get them from www.lowcarbmegastore.com
but they've got a sort of spicy seasoning on them... they're nice, but i prefer them plain and add my own seasoning.

As Boogie65 said earlier in the thread, they do Pub Original pork scratchings, and they also do the Pub Original pork crunch... the pork crunch is the same as pork rinds in America, and are lighter & crispier than pork scratchings... these are the ones that people grind up and use as breading for chicken, etc.

So chek out the website, and when ordering, make sure you are ordering pork CRUNCH, not pork SCRATCHINGS, and you'll be getting the right stuff.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 03:41
Registered Member

Stats: 170/145/140 Female 5ft 7.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

Regarding the pork scratching, I found theat my local butchers came up trump with this item, after searching for in other shops.

No nutrition labels unfortunately, but they seem to be just fried pork rinds (very fatty and pork rindy, no rusky stuff or puffy), but they do seem to have a flavouring on, so they need a bit of a dust off before eating.
I must admit that I don't often buy them as they are just too tastey.

regards Bungle
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 05:40
Registered Member

Stats: 202/181/154 Female 68 inches
BF:No idea!!
Progress: 44%
Smile Pork Rinds again!!

Well it seems like there has been some debate over these pork rinds/scratchings and I need to clarify a few things for my own peace of mind!!
I have managed to find some called 'Pork Scratchings-seasoned Pork Rind' by JA Foods(website address www.gts-ltd.com) in a local what I call 'cheapo shop' near me-Home Bargains.
Having checked the nutritional information and it says only 0.1g carbohydrate and 20g fat per 40g bag.
They do contain rusks but it is obviously a negligible amount!!
They are great for snacking on if you miss crisps-I used them last time I did Atkins and it didnt hinder my progress-2stone in 4 months...
I dont know if Home Bargains is a regional thing but will find out if any one is interested-they are only 25p a bag too!!Have limited myself to a pack every couple of days as they are so moorish.....

Hope this is useful info.
Lalla
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 15:11

Stats: 200/190/140
BF:31
Progress: 17%
Cool Pork Rinds in Scotland

Hi! I have been on the Atkins program for over two months. I live in the US, but spend about three weeks out of every two months in the Edinburgh, Scotland area.

I am leaving the US to return to Scotland in just a couple of weeks.....I have to know.....Can I find something that is the equivalent of American Pork Rind/Pork Skins/Chicharrones - whatever you call them in the UK. They are my life's blood.

I use them for so many things, the ones I buy are plain and have no carbs or less than one carb per serving. I don't think I would have been able to eat all those tuna and salmon salads I have had for lunch for so long without a few to add crunch.

If anyone can tell me a grocery chain that carries these - like Testco, Costco.....anyplace! I will be so happy knowing that I do not have to leave my clothes behind in order to smuggle 25 huge bags of Pork Rinds with me....

Happy low carbing,
Joy