Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#76   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-16, 09:02

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

so true, be YOU and what you believe. It boils down to confidence on what you are-how you function-what it takes for you.

meat eaters go back the earliest in time. '''add''' on foods means bad times for physical bodies. Simple as that.

if you eat no crap to ruin you, you never need 'supp Vit. C' cause your body does not require it to 'fix the food problem' and so much more.

ONLY A TRUE ZC person will scope out the truth. And it is real!
if you go into junk, then the body changes and 'things are needed' to make you whole again.............but the basic meat diet never lies.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-17, 04:23

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Kelly Hogan of Zero Carb has a funny article about what really happened to her photo on the cover of Women's World...and where all the veggies and avocado came from.
http://myzerocarblife.jamesdhogan.c...wns-cover-girl/

Even after insisting the magazine wanted to feature a Really Different diet, they added veggies to meal plans she never eats.

There was a similar twisting of truth with People mag recently. A women's weight loss story was changed from LCHF and Fasting to "eat sensible portions". Don't believe what you read in some of these "amazing" weight loss stories. Amazing results can come from healthy and amazing variations on LCHF.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Jun-07-17 at 04:29.
  #78   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-17, 06:02
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Kelly Hogan of Zero Carb has a funny article about what really happened to her photo on the cover of Women's World...and where all the veggies and avocado came from.

Even after insisting the magazine wanted to feature a Really Different diet, they added veggies to meal plans she never eats.
Woman's World magazine is notorious for "creative editing" and adding their own tweaks and embellishments to articles they publish . Mary Dan Eades (co-author of Protein Power books) blogged about how they altered a low-carb article she'd written .. defatting the menu, and adding things like toast, oatmeal and margarine

Quote:
..... The basic idea of the plan was to eat a nutritious protein breakfast (such as eggs, bacon, and a serving of berries, or a cup of plain yogurt with added protein powder, or a protein shake) then enjoy the ‘Weight Loss Soup’ for lunch and dinner. The soup diet was to be used as a means of getting a quick, tasty and nutritious meal three times a day that kept carbs and calories low, as a means of shedding a few extra pounds over two or there weeks in a No Muss, No Fuss sort of way.

<snip>

We’re big soup fans anyway, so we provided the soup recipe and some appropriate suggestions for quick breakfast ideas, like the ones above, that they had asked for and the magazine did the rest. Unfortunately, some of the rest of what they did was incorrect and we didn’t get to actually see it until the article appeared in the magazine. For instance, they suggested a quick breakfast of eggs and toast with margarine (!!) which we would never ever have recommended. They threw in additions, such as I think even a bagel (there’s 30 grams of carb!) with some low fat thises and thats and a number of inappropriate snacks, such as a sliced apple (20 grams of carb there) with low fat cheese (yuk!) or something like that. On a low calorie diet, such as this, a few extra carbs probably aren’t going to stall weight loss, but what they may do is promote hunger. Better to add a few more fat grams than carb grams, if curbing hunger is your goal!

I think they might even have suggested a bowl of oatmeal with low fat milk, maybe, and I feel sure a pat of the dreaded margarine.

Read more about it here.

#79   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-17, 08:06

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Poor Kelly! I'm glad she can see the humor in this. They really did "uglify" her on that cover, IMHO. And changing her story? Wow. That's BAD. Not surprising, but BAD.

Years before internet links, etc, I was the "how I did it" article in FITNESS magazine. A writer friend pitched the story: she got paid for it, I had the fun. They sent a couple of photographers--they actually were a couple--out to KC, and we spent most of the day in a favorite park doing the shoot. The cropped photos that appeared in the magazine were flattering, and the article accurately reflected my successful plan, which was, at that time, the typical low-cal/low-fat/endless-hours-of-exercise story. It was all about finally fitting into those jeans. The story continues!

Perhaps I should call them back and say: How about a story about how LCHF is the REAL key to weight management, excellent health, and graceful aging?
  #80   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-17, 08:17

Barb, that's a great idea
Just watch out that this time the editor doesn't Photoshop Gone Bad on your face.
  #81   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-17, 08:35

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

I'll have to pick another magazine. I'm way past the FITNESS demographic by now. I'll check with my writer friend.
  #82   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-17, 12:24

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
Woman's World magazine is notorious for "creative editing" and adding their own tweaks and embellishments to articles they publish . Mary Dan Eades (co-author of Protein Power books) blogged about how they altered a low-carb article she'd written .. defatting the menu, and adding things like toast, oatmeal and margarine
I remember that article and bought the issue, but only kept a soup recipe. Like most WW diet articles, the other half of each page was an ad for something like Betty Crocker cake mixes and canned frosting (virtually all transfat & sugar).
  #83   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-17, 16:48
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100

There was a similar twisting of truth with People mag recently. A women's weight loss story was changed from LCHF and Fasting to "eat sensible portions". Don't believe what you read in some of these "amazing" weight loss stories. Amazing results can come from healthy and amazing variations on LCHF.
I never knew I had to put most magazines in the same trash bin as National Inquirer... how sad...

Thanks for sharing this, Janet!

I read Kelly's blog entry that you added! Truly EYE-OPENING!

Gosh they really did a number Photoshop-ing her! How terrible! Wonder what the thought process was behind that one b/c she's a beautiful young woman.
  #84   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-17, 16:53
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
I'll have to pick another magazine. I'm way past the FITNESS demographic by now. I'll check with my writer friend.
Do it! B/c how cool would it be to promote the LC WOE and share your successful journey/experiences!

I'd definitely buy a copy or two and tell all my friends I KNOW HER!
  #85   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-17, 17:01

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

At least the article drew people to her website so they can get good info on zero carb! Other than a bit of shine reduction, I don't know why they thought photoshopping her big, lively eyes into smaller different-coloured hard-looking ones was necessary, or why they added creases around her smile. The result looks like something out of Madame Tussaud's.
  #86   ^
Old Thu, Jun-08-17, 02:41

A bit off topic, but here is Gina's story in People Magazine and how she really lost weight: https://www.dietdoctor.com/gina-rea...abolic-syndrome
  #87   ^
Old Wed, Jul-05-17, 03:26

Amber O'Hearn spoke on the recent LC cruise. New podcast with her on KetoVangelist making the case for Carnivore Keto.
https://www.ketovangelist.com/episo...carnivore-keto/
  #88   ^
Old Thu, Aug-17-17, 11:45

Dr Shawn Baker, orthopedic surgeon and a world record holder in rowing, keeps showing up in my Twitter because many of the LCers followed, and they follow him. I basically knew he was Zero Carb and wasn't particularly interested in adding him, but then read about his NEqualsMany project, and decide to share that here.

If you have ever thought about Biohacking, trying a Carnivore diet, this is for you! Note...it is a three month commitment.

Here is a good podcast, good interviewer, that basically covers his diet and plans for this project. http://www.biohackerslab.com/ep19-dr-shawn-baker/

http://nequalsmany.com

Quote:
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN…….

an N=1 experiment goes viral, when thousands come together with the shared goal of finding out what if……?

Is it possible to turn anecdotes into data?

When does it become “science”?

What happens when people get tired of just getting sicker?

What’s happens when N equals Many???

Not sure about this for 3 months, and know as a 66 yo woman who walks and does water aerobics for exercise, that I will not fit into the biohacker crowd this will attract but I may follow the rules for a while. I've been increasing my protein somewhat anyway might be interesting.

Edit: one blog post indicated study started past Tuesday, the 15th. Another in September?.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Aug-17-17 at 13:35.
  #89   ^
Old Thu, Aug-17-17, 12:04

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

When N=many, in this case, you get self-selection bias, people are liable to be more enthusiastic about an approach they choose themselves, etc. Maybe controlling for enthusiasm is what keeps dieters in randomized intervention studies from maintaining very well after six months or so.
  #90   ^
Old Thu, Aug-17-17, 12:10

Almost 15% are already carnivore. 45% LC and 24% Keto.http://nequalsmany.com/entry-demogr...-study-group-1/ yeah, an enthusiastic group!

teaser...posted this just for you
Closed Thread