Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 07:46

Plan: Clark/Atkins/Randomness
Stats: 182/161/140
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Crackers Dont Matter

Well they do to me... Any suggestions on some kind of bread substitute that has little or no carbs.. I release its unlikely but its worth a shot.. My no sandwich cheese sandwiches aren't great..

I'm on 30g Carb a day atm.

Thanks
Larrs
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 08:48

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Exclamation Whose Crackers!

Larrs

I was never a bread lover, so don't miss this. However, I do have crackers, with cream cheese, pate, peanut butter, most days. I buy Hovis Extra Wheatgerm - they are where the cheese biscuits are - and these have just under 4 g carbs per biscuit. 2 or 3 at a time is fine.

You might want to look at other biscuits in that area and see what the packets say. There is no substitute for label reading in this way of life.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 09:00

Plan: atkins-modified
Stats: 228/185/154 Female 172cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

WHatever happened to ENERGEN crispbread? Anyone remember that? They did a cheese one and a plain one. If it got wet it went strangely chewy, no rubbery!

v low carb. My dad was doing the Yudkin diet in the 60s and I think that they must have had about 3 gms carb and were the size of a Ryvita.

I miss crunchy things too, but nothing crunches as well as the zip on my trousers that were too tight when I bought them and are now too loose!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 12:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 133.5/123/112 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default ZERO CARB CRISPBREAD

Hello everyone in the UK!

Guess what I found today? A crispbread which says in the nutrition info:

carbs 29g/100g
fibre 42.1g/100g

I got them in Holland and Barrett and they are called Scandinavian Bran Crispbread.

I suppose this means that they really are carb free - in fact the carbs go into minus figures (heaven knows what this means).
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 12:41

Stats: 245/234/200
BF:don't care!!
Progress: 24%

GREAT! I shall go to H&B as soon as I can. I ADORE crispbread!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 13:41

Exclamation No such thing as negative carbs

Sorry folks those crispbreads have got 29 g carbs per 100g. Forget the fibre, it is not relevant. Have a look at the sticky on carb and fibre counting at the top of this forum which explains that in the UK you do not subtract fibre from the carb figure.

Sorry to disappoint you.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 00:25

BF:
Default Crispbreads

Hello Little Anne

Thanks for the info on the crispbreads! Fortunately, I haven't eaten any yet. You say to look at the 'sticky' what is that? Why doesn't the fibre count here?

Charlotte
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 01:54

Default Carbs and Fibre

Charlotte

What I meant by the sticky, was the posts at the top of the forum which stay there all the time. The top 3 posts in the UK forum remain there as they are thought to be the most benefit to all UK low carbers. This is the thread you need to read. Hopefully this will explain everything!!!!!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 08:55

BF:
Default ECC

Anne

Thank you for your quick response. I've found the 'stickies' now - right under my nose of course!

I keep seeing questions regarding people eating less than 20g carbs a day - will this stall weight loss?

I'm off to bake sweetmeats, macaroons, cheesecake, etc as my oven is working again (we've had an electrical fault since Sat). Nice man just came and fixed it!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 09:05

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 167/154/126 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I eat the Scan Bran Crispbreads - from Holland and Barratt... they work out at 2.4g per crispbread and are a nice size - and very very crunchy.

IT'S sooooo good to be able to have something to slaver in butter and top with loads of cheese - or peanut butter :-)

WTG.......

Helen
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 02:20

Question Less than 20 g carbs a day

Hedgehog

You asked about the number of posts of people eating less than 20 g carbs a day. This is the usual amount of carbs for those just starting out on Atkins for the 2 week induction period. Many choose to stay on that level for longer, particularly if they have a lot to lose.

Whilst your body needs less carbs than you used to eat, it does need some - for glucose - and the glucose it needs that you do not supply it will get by converting protein!

I found that I lost weight better at a higher carb level and now eat around 50 g carbs a day. Many other plans have a daily level of 50 - 60g a day. The main thing is to ensure you eat less than 100g carbs a day, as I think that that is the total amount your body needs for normal useage.

The level you eat is up to you and how your bodies hormones balance out. I hope that explains things!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 11:48

BF:
Default Getting sufficient carbs

Hi Anne

Thanks again for the info! I certainly won't allow myself to fall below 20g again.

I made the macaroons in the Atkins book yesterday and they are delicious. I also made some heart shaped cheesecakes (used Delia's recipe, amended) and they are also scrumptious. I also made the Keto blueberry muffins - disappointing - dry and uninteresting!

How is the weather in Orpington? Beautiful here - I've just planted two cypresses. I love Kent I went on holiday to Reculver every year as a child and my husband lived in Cranbrook from 13 - 22yrs. We'd love to move to Cranbrook, but my husband's jobs keeps us in Richmond.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 10:27

Stats: 184/162/112 Female 5'5"
BF:31/26/19
Progress: 31%

I picked up a great recipe from another forum (tried, and failed, to remember where... sorry!) in which somebody made a fantastic suggestion for alternatives to crackers...

Keeping bread out of it altogether, the basic recipe is to cut a thin slice of cheddar, put it on a plate with a sheet of baking paper underneath (I don't use that, and opt for lifting it off with a sharp knife whilst still hot instead) and stick in the microwave for...

Well, my experiments so far put one slice of cheese at about one minute and three slices at about two! Essentially once its lightly browned and crispy, you've got your cracker. (Which goes very nicely with homemade mayo! )

Well worth experimenting with different cheeses too... mozarella, for example, seems to turn a nice caramel flavour!

Hope that helps.

Last edited by UrbanGypsy : Wed, Aug-06-03 at 10:31.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 11:45

Stats: 210/160/130 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%
Hi all

I too, misss the crunch and think I found the perfect solution.

HIGH FIBRE CRACKERBREAD (bought in ASDA)

3.1 per cracker and you all know how big crackerbread is right?! It's lovely girls. I put pate on and then a side of salad and hard cheese and meat. Filling.

I still can't get LC bread to taste right! Think I will have to give up on that one but as long as I have my crackers it's not such a big deal! lol##

Jenny
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 09:32

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 238/224/126
BF:
Progress: 13%

I have been using a wholemeal bread from Sainsburys - Be Good To Yourself (400g loaf) has just 7.35g of carbs which I can fit in as I am now on 30 - 40g of carbs per day. Very tasty and "real bread".