Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-02, 09:01
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/135/120
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default What I cook for my vegetarian husband

I've been cooking low carb for my vegetarian husband for a few months now, these are some of the favorites:

Low carb chili,
El Burrito soy taco meatless taco filling (or any crumbled soy meat subsitute) only12 carbs for entire 12 oz package
sauteed with bell peppers, canned smoked chipotle chilis (can be very spicy, watch out)
onions, black soy beans, canned chopped tomatoes in puree (read label to find lowest carb one with no sugar) season with cumin, chili powder, oregano and what ever else you like. Top with grated cheese and green onions.

Stir Fry: with tofu cubed and browned first in oil then drained on paper towels, stir fried with red bell pepper, chinese cabbage, brocolli, cauliflower, snow peas, green onion, and seasoned with sesame oil, soy sauce, a little black bean or chili garlic sauce (Dynasty brand makes these, black bean garlic sauce only 2 carbs per tbsp) and 1 pack splenda for a little sweetness..

Gardenburger makes a flame grilled patty called "chic'n grill", only 2 carbs and 100 calories per patty (I like these too) Top with melted cheese, avocado, tomato, on some toasted low carb bread.

Lots of salad, caesar salad (I make the dressing with no anchhovie) with large shavings of parmesan cheese and a chic'n grill patty sliced on top. Cook the patties in the oven or stove top with a little oil.

Souffles, quiche, tofu scrambles.....Theres so much to make!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-16-02, 15:12
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi! I cook for a veggie man, too. I eat meat on occasion, but I rarely cook it at home. I'm too lazy.

I wish I could find black soybeans. I'll have to try hunting around at health food stores.

I use a lot of TVP, because it's dirt cheap, stores well, and it's easy to work with.

Yesterday, I bought President's Choice "World's Best Meatless Burger", and it's really good. A little pricey, but worth it for me, since they're BIG and he'll just eat one instead of two.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-17-02, 13:26
Registered Member

BF:

I buy Eden brand black soy beans. I find them in the health food stores, and natural foods markets. Their web address is; www.edenfoods.com. I know you can buy direct from them, and maybe they can tell you who carries them in your area.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-17-02, 17:37
Forum Moderator

BF:

Thanks. My usual grocery store has a large 'health food' section, and they do sell Eden brand products, but no black soy beans. Maybe I'll ask if they can order some for me.

(edit: ) I just went to the website, and they do have a store locator, but you have to enter a ZIP code and I'm in Canada.

Last edited by Kristine : Sun, Nov-17-02 at 17:54.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 11:35
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb

Just a note about the Eden Black Soybeans.

Some people erroneously think these beans have only 1g net carbs per ½ cup serving (ie, the label shows 8g carbs, 7g fiber) Sounds too good to be true, right?? It is.

I did the math .. and based on the stated calories, protein, fat and carbs, there actually are 8 full grams of carbohydrate contributing calories .. meaning the fiber has been PRE-subtracted. I emailed Eden company, and they confirmed this.

More and more manufacturers are pre-subtracting fiber before calculating the calories and carbs in the food, especially is the food is considered "high fiber" ie, over 4g per serving.

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 15:40
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for mentioning this Doreen. I also contacted Eden foods a few months ago when I first started using this product because I too thought 1 carb was too good to be true and they told me the same thing. I've brought this up on another low carb web site and I was getting alot of doubious reactions to what I believed so I just left the customer service phone # and told them to call themselves. Supposedly their not allowed to do this in the States. I cook with them anyway, they're still lower in carbs then the others and better for you.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-02, 13:50
Forum Moderator

BF:

Ouch! There should be a standard of labelling so that confusion doesn't happen - perhaps total carbs (everything), then broken down into starches, sugar, fiber.

Dang - I figured that 1 g of carbs was too good to be true.