Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 16:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 153/151/138
BF:22
Progress: 13%
Default can someone make me vegetarian meal plans?

heeelp! I wonder what I can eat! I have a list of foods, but I'd like a meal plan. If someone could help, then I could personal train online for free 4 them...

I want to know about garden burgers, tofu, hummas, etc.

please help
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 17:22
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi! You can start by browsing the vegetarian forum, but when it comes to vegetarian products like tofu and garden burgers, you have to do the label reading. The different brands vary quite a bit. I'm in Canada, and I don't think they sell the same brands of stuff down there.

Hummus is pretty much out - chickpeas are quite high in carbs.

I wouldn't be any good at helping you make a meal plan because I don't even do that for myself. I make it up as I go along, just making sure that I take my supplements and get at least three servings of vegetables per day. I think that's the beauty of Atkins: if you just stick to the permitted foods, you don't need to plan - it's hard to go over 20 g of carbs.

Are you really determined to do Atkins? It's possible to be done vegeterian style, but something like Protein Power might suit you better. You're allowed a few more carbs. On Atkins, it's hard to limit carbs to 20 when you're eating those soy products.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 21:19

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

From The Atkins Web site:

Quote:
Can a vegetarian follow the Atkins Nutritional Approach?
Animal proteins are a vital component of doing Atkins and it is difficult to follow the program without them. Meat, fish and poultry contain many essential fatty acids that cannot be found in any other sources. However, if you are willing to eat eggs, cheese and tofu for protein, it is possible to do Atkins. Nonetheless, the limited options would make it a boring program to follow and most vegetarians do not stay with it long term. If you are willing to also eat fish, doing Atkins becomes more enjoyable.

A vegan cannot follow Atkins. A pure vegan diet could never be low enough in carbohydrates, because there are no plants that are carbohydrate free.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 03:20

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Hello vegitarian

As you may have gathered it is difficult, but not impossible to do Atkins and remain a vegitarian. In any case lowering you intake of sugar and carbs can only do you good.

However, I am a reformed vegitarian and used to think of myself as a good vegitarian cook. Also a good friend of mine who is a strict Orthodox Christian here, is also vegitarian (but with fish) most of the time, and vegan on Wednesdays and Fridays. As he often comes to my flat and I follow the Berlarusian custom of feeding guests, this leads me to do some imaginative vegitarian/vegan low carb cooking. In short I would gladly trade recipies for some e-mail personal training.

Here is my yesterdays dinner menu.

Cabbage soup (based on Russian Shchee).
1 large white cabbage
1 large onion
a few mushrooms
some cauliflower
some garlic
any other low carb salad or veg items you have.
about 2 or 3 veg stock cubes.
A tablespoon of Bran or other fibre.
Some olive or flax oil
Some cauliflower

Chop up cabbage and everything else. Leave a generous cabbage stalk and put this in the pot whole. Boil everything for about an hour.

Take out the stalk and some of the veggies. Put into a liquidiser and blend (with care, it's hot!) Blend them into a puree and put back into the soup - this gives the soup body.
Boil for longer if necessary.

Serve with a generous dash of sour cream. A little oil may be dribbled into the soup to up your fat intake. A slice of lemon also gives it an extra zip.

Main course:
Stuffed peppers with simulated rice.
Ingredients:
Some large green peppers
A small packet of soya based mince (grounfd meat texture).
Some mushrooms
a large onion
Several tomatoes

Make 'rice' by grating cauliflower and boiling lighty.

Make stuffing by reconstitutng veg protein with some veg stock. Chop mushrooms and onions and mix together. Add seasoning to taste.

Prepare peppers (maybe you call them caspiums?) by cutting the tops off and getting rid of the seeds. Stuff then with the filling and bake them in the oven till they go a little soft.

Serve on the bed of simulated rice with a generous blob of sour cream on top.

Dessert is sour cream mixed with a little sweetener and sugar free cocoa powder.

If the moderator would like to move this to the recipies or vegitarian forum that's fine with me.

If you want to write to me 'Vegitarian' my e-mail is fletcherrobert~lycos.co.uk

Greeting to all from a snowy Belarus!

Robert
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 12:29

Default thanks everyone

Actually, someone gave me a copy of the introduction foods which really helps. I figure, although it will be boring, I can eat the following everyday during introduction:

Breakfast --eggs, omlet, etc.

snack-boiled eggs (2)

lunch-Romaine salad with onions, muchrooms, a little shreaded chedder, and boiled crumbled egg

snack-cheese slices

dinner-same salad as above but in a smaller portion. Brocilli or spinach with cheese. I am also going to make some cabbage soup. Now, are you all sure that I can't have a couple low-carb beers too? I usually have at least 1 a night to take the edge off! Thanks you all sooo much!!!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 14:25

Hi Vegitarian.

Well I'm glad you at least thought you'd try the soup. Borshch is another soup you could try.

I can't e-mail you by the way as I don't know your address.

I think you could incorporate such things as pancakes made with soy flour and protein powder into your diet.

Eggs are great but you seem to be planning on eating a huge number of them

You masy get away with the beer...or it may stop you from loosing. Alcohol is a very individual thing.

Regards

Robert.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 16:42

Default thank you

Robert,

Thank you very much....so, well have to see with the beer. I've always had a flat stomach, but since reducing my carbs, my stomach has actually become rather bloated looking. I have fought IBS before, hopefully the low-carbs will not trigger it again.

If you have any Personal Training questions, then you can ask me in this forum, or if they are personal, then my email is in my profile!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 16:44

Default soup okay during introduction?

Robert,

Are those recipies okay during introduction? I forgot to ask
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 17:48
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Hey there!

You might want to try MorningStar Farms products as well to increase your variety. They are usually found with the breakfast foods in the frozen food section of the grocery store. They are fairly low in carbs and high in fiber.

I am also a vegetarian and I have been doing low carb for a couple of months now. It really isn't that hard as long as I read lables.

Good luck!

Paleo
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 20:29
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hello, me again.

Do have a look at this: <a target="_blank" href="http://atkinscenter.com/Archive/2001/12/15-325810.html">Induction Rules (click here)</a>

..and at this: <a target="_blank" href="http://atkinscenter.com/Archive/2001/12/15-464579.html">Acceptable Foods on Induction</a>

The 20 g of carbs are to be 'spent' exclusively on your necessary vegetables, plus stuff like cheese and salad dressing. You're not doing Atkins if you're cutting the veggies in favour of beer, or if you're eating more than 4 oz of cheese each day. You really might want to consider doing Protein Power, CAD or another plan instead. It's more flexible, and should still work, as long as you're following their other guidelines.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-17-02, 11:54

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

How about Schwartzbean or the Insulin Resistance Diet? They are both much easier for vegetarians to follow, and since you are quite light they may suit you better.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Nov-17-02, 16:41

Hi again vegitarian!

I checked the recipies I gave you and I reakon the soup is fine on induction. The stuffed peppers should also be fine but don't add tomatoes and not too much soya 'meat' as it does contain some carbs.

Here's another:

Shepard's (or cottage) pie.

Boil some cauliflower really well and mash it to a puree with a lump of butter and a little ceam. This is your 'mashed potato'.
Make the filling with soy based ground 'meat', some mushrooms onions or what have you - fry it to add flavour.

Put the 'meat' mixture into a dish. Cover with the mashed 'potato' sprinkle with a little grated cheese and brown in the oven.

What the other people say about there being easier plans for a vegitarian is true. One of my colleagues who is a vegitarian is experimenting with Sugar Busters. It allows some whole meal bread and grains.

Good luck,

robert
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 16:45

Default thanks Robert

Robert, Hello! I feel off the Atkins! I am still eating low-carb, but now I am going to swith to another diet, I will check out Sugar Busters and Protien Power...

I am still going to make your recipies though, the coliflower mashed potatoes sound simply wonderful!

Thank