Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 08:59

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 175/169.5/127
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default very high cholesterol, triglycerides, ....

I was told to eat very low fat, but also to control carbs since my triglycerides are really high. My family has a history of heart attacks and strokes. My father has had a heart bypass and now a heart valve replacement. I've been diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse (minor, not a life-threatening issue right now).
I'm wondering about a vegetarian way of life. I've been doing schwarzbein but I'm still eating alot of fat.

How do you eat veg. without increasing your triglycerides?
Thank you!
OH, and my family refuses tofu and imitation meats so those are out as far as meal plans go.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 14:58
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Hi Angel,
I'm doing a search on mitral valve and came across your post. I have no idea about your question- Sorry. I do have one for you though. Have you found that lowcarbing has brought on any heart discomfort? I read that in protein power the diuretic effects can cause some people problems- maybe me.

Nancy
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-19-02, 09:17

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 175/169.5/127
BF:
Progress: 11%

I have been having more 'episodes' since low carbing and especially after a higher fat meal or snack. My arm starts throbbing with severe pain and my chest feels like it's being crushed. I went to the dr. during one episode and the ekg was ok but the ultrasound test (can't think of the name) showed a lot of abnormal activity with the valve. I was told to eat really low fat and exercise at least 30 minutes a day, but to stop immediately if I felt pain or discomfort.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-19-02, 22:45
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Wow, I'm sorry to hear about your problems. I haven't really thought of the fat as being the problem, but you're the second person on this site with mitral valve that has mentioned that.

I'm trying to build the habits of eating 3 cups of salad and 2 or 3 vege servings and 2 fruit servings a day as being most all my carbs. And counting calories. I think its kind of a compromise between lowcarb and lowfat.

I know we can lose weight, we just have a few more hurdles than the average person. Do you like the Schwarbein plan?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 19:54
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi Dec.Angel,

I responded to you in another thread before I saw this post. If you're ruling out meat, meat 'replacements', eggs *and* dairy; and you're trying to go low carb *and* low fat on top of that, I don't know what you'd eat. Tuna? The infamous protein shakes and bars? There aren't many low fat protein sources that don't fall into what you're trying to eliminate.

Have you talked to your doctor about a referral to a nutritionist, perhaps? They might have some better ideas for you.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 22:01
Marda

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I've been having some health issues and ran across a couple of books by Robert O. Young, Ph.D and his wife Shelley Redford Young. Very strick, very low carb, but I'm having trouble getting completely on the program. Books are "The pH Miracle" "Sick and Tired, Reclaim Your Inner Terrain" and Shelley's cookbook, "Back to the House of Health." They recommend very basic foods eaten as fresh as possible. I know when I make the green juice I really feel better and my stomach and colon settle down a lot. Apparently Jane Clayson from the Early Show is on the program. She writes the forward to the first book. They claim that you can regain your health from almost any problem. I'm about halfway on it and am really enjoying some of the vegetables. Good luck and keep believing there is an answer. - Marda