Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-02, 14:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/153/120 Female 62"
BF:Start38%
Progress: 33%
Question Weight training and Blood Pressure

Hi Trainer Dan,
I have hypertension which is not very well controlled by my medication. Until it is more stable I'm afraid of weight training as I read somewhere it can make it go up. Is this true? I've yo-yoed and so have lost muscle mass, I want to rebuild it. Would Yoga or Pilates do the trick for now?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ruby
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 18:18
Registered Member

Stats: 128/122/112
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi Ruby

I have hypertension too and am on medication and am on Atkins too.

I have been regularly doing some weight training work at the gym and have not noticed any detrimental effect on the blood pressure.

If you join a good gym, they should be able to take a reading for you and then do some more spot readings for you ... better yet ... buy yourself a wee blood pressure monitoring kit and watch what happens when you do it. Weight training is worth the effort. Blood pressure problems are a pain in the A************

Good Luck

Daschnook (UK girl)
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 19:56

Default Blood Pressure

Hi Dashnook,
Thanks so much for your reply. I posted that a long time ago and no one answered. I still haven't begun to weight train but my weight is now down at 147 and I'm feeling much better and ready to start toning. I'd come to the same conclusion, thinking it's just too beneficial not to do. So thanks for your encouragement. When you say a "wee" device, do you mean the new wrist cuffs? I've seen those and wonder about their accuracy. I'm going to sign up at a fancy gym and if they can't monitor it, I'll just bring my blood pressure cuff. Good luck, and thanks for the tips. Much appreciated.

Warm regards,

Ruby
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 04:10
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Ruby

A few years ago I was living in Washington DC and I went into a local CVS and bought a blood pressure monitoring kit. I did not know whether to buy a wrist monitor or just the usual digital standing box. In the end I bought the digital box so I can only take my blood pressure when I am at home where the box is. This seems to be good enough for me.

Go to a good gym and make them aware of your personal needs and you may not even need to buy a blood pressure kit...they may have one there that they can show you how to access so you can monitor yourself in the gym. Also make sure you know the heart-rate to work out at when doing cardiovascular work.

Most weight training is ok for bp sufferers except some of the overhead weight training and a good instructor will show you which exercises they are.

Its nice to have someone to share the bp problems with.

Daschnook

ps...are you on meds..? If so..which ones...?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 11:29

Hi,
Yes I was on monopril which controlled it very well. (Gave me a tiresome nightime cough though.)

But, I'm 45, and thought I'd like to try to get pregnant (fairly risky) and whem I mentioned to my doctor he suggested another drug. I'm being followed at a hypertension clinic, one of the best in Toronto, the doctors there are at the forefront of significant research into hypertension. He then switched me to methhyldopa, a very old drug, rarely used anymore but safe during pregnancy. The big drawback is you must take it 3 times daily, very inconvenient, and it's not quite as effective as the newer drugs.

I think the Atkins diet is helping my BP, I'll have to start monitoring more regularly. (Mine would spike to 246/146 at which point they kept me in emergency for 15 hours!

Frightening to say the least.

My BP is emotion sensitive too. There is no underlying kidney or physical problem that should be causing it.

I'm hoping that with improved health habits, I can get off these meds. (I'm a 32 year smoker and now trying to quit -- with Zyban, which makes me feel great, but doesn't curb the cravings much.) Zyban is a last ditch effort.

If not pregnant soon, I will go back to monopril though, it's just easier to take once a day.

I have a hunch this weight loss (Atkins) has reduced my BP, will monitor and report back to you. Cardiovascular work and weight training can only enhance things.

I saw a Jungian analyst for 6 years (she was also an M.D.) She no longer has a therapy practice but now runs workshops - along the lines of Jon Kabatt-Zinn - an American doctor who does much work with chronic health issues. She claims I could likely reduce this pressure through meditation. But that takes time and I work in theatre and the lifestyle keeps me on the go and so it's difficult to develop a routine such as that. I've heard yoga can also be helpful. You know, I truly believe that with improved health habits, increased body awareness and exercise, stress reduction techniques, all these things probably can get my BP under control. But one must be diligent. I'm hoping to get off these meds - when you read the side effects, it's troubling.

By the way, I peeked and saw you're a psychotherapist. My analyst always claimed that the BP was an emotional issue. She is also a Buddhist, but had a healthy regard for both western medicine and eastern ideas. While she didn't disapprove of medication, and saw the need for it, she really beieved it could be controlled, in my case, by other means. Her reasoning: I'm in my head and not very grounded in my body. Her feeling was that bodywork, of any kind, would solve not only the BP but certain issues. I'm sure she's right about this. I just never took the time to deal with it. No patience. But now, that patience seems to be happening.

Bye

Ruby

PS I'll let you know how I'm doing with the BP. I'm going to start logging it to make correltion between Atkins and that.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 17:36
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Ruby

I could not believe it when I read your posting kuz - guess what ...? I am on methyldopa for the same reason. I am 43 and would like to have a baby and the only meds they can offer is methyldopa. I only take it twice a day though as my hypertension can handle that...speak to the docs and see if they can up your dose so that you only have to take it twice a day. Still a pain but hey, its better than three times a day.

Yes... I am a psychotherapist (existential) and believe in the co-relation between mind and body enormously but also believe that hypertension exists for many reasons (genetics, etc) and that whilst it may become stabilized by good diet, etc - it needs to be monitored and if necessary controlled by drugs.

As its Valentines night and quite late here, I wanted to write and tell you that I am on the same meds but I wanted to write more too but... it is late and so I will post more tomorrow.

So nice to have met a friend with similar concerns...

Hugs

Daschnook
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 00:32

Dashnook,

Can you believe it?!!! Synchronicity. We must chat about this pregnancy business. I'm a little apprehensive about the open forum on this issue. Maybe we can PM. I'm directing a play that opens here in a week (Montreal) and then on Feb. 25 off to Toronto. Once in Toronto I'll have more time. I do get in quite late, it's 2:00 a.m. here now, and I like to check the forum when I get in. It's relaxing to browse around. This forum has been very good for keeping me motivated. (Who wants to hear about diets these days!)

I'd love to chat more, but must get to bed as am up at 9:00 a.m.

Ciao!

Ruby
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 12:14
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Ruby

Yes it would be lovely to do private chat but I will need to set up a new IM thingie when I have time...my last one got lost in the crash.

Our time differences need to be taken into account... we are five hours ahead of you in the UK so let me know by posting here or emailing me directly (Debi~cosmeticsupport.com)

Good luck with the play and the LC'ing.

Hugs

Daschnook

ps...more synchronicity, my brother is a stand up comedian and once did the Montreal Just For Laughs...
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 18:58

Hi Dashnook,

Wow. Synchronicity to be sure! Get this, Just For Laughs hires me every year. For coaching talent. How about that?!

BTW, I have a lot of contact with Canadian comedians in my work.

Maybe we can Private Message one another. Is private messaging private to just us, or can everyone, or administrators, access them?

I'll have to check into that.

It was my birthday Wed and yesterday Valentine's Day and so am up 2lbs. Not very happy about that. But am solidly back on track. I want to be at goal this summer. It's really much better to get rid of this flab.

Warm regards,

Ruby
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-16-02, 06:06
Registered Member

BF:

HI Ruby

Happy Birthday to you (or rather belated birthday greetings for Wednesday)

Im going to inspire you now by telling you that we went to my favourite Italian restaurant for Valentines Day and I was VERY GOOD. I ate a full protein dinner with some veggies as I am still on induction. The aroma in the restaurant was wonderful though! My partner was very good and also ordered a full protein dinner and so I was not tempted to pick at his plate which has often been my downfall in the past.

I do hope you manage to shed those 2lbs you put on as it all goes towards managing the blood pressure. I hate these pills SO much that I will give up nearly everything food-wise to get off them.

Im also a smoker (27 years) and have tried to give up several times but find that now that the blood sugars under control I feel more ready to try to tackle quitting again. The only thing I wont give up is my desire to have flat abs and a great body for the beach this year.

Let me know about the private messaging!!!

Hugs

Daschnook
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-16-02, 21:18

Hi Dashnook,
I can't believe you're a smoker too! I was very guilty reporting how long I had been smoking. I'm very ashamed of it, and don't even want to admit it to myself. I haven't had time to check out the private messaging issue as I'm at the crucial period in rehearsals, actors are all nervous, the set is being built, and everyone needs me right now. It will all be smoother by the 22nd, assuming the opening goes well. I'll have more time then.

I think that the smoking is the main thing we have to ditch. It's terrible for blood pressure. I definitely want to keep chatting, but too busy right now. We have much in common.

Thanks for the b'day wishes. I'm tackling those two pounds and right back on track. Had to remind myself to eat today. Imagine that.

Bye, and good night.

Ruby (it's 10:00 pm and I'm up at 7:00)

#12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 16:14
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Ruby

I totally understand work commitments as I have a dissertation I am writing right now too so 'look in' when you are free again adn we can start to chat then.

Keep up the good work and 'break a leg' for the play!

Daschnook