Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-05-05, 14:57
Finding Balance

Plan: Atkins/PP Maint, IF24/24
Stats: 162/123/120 Female 63.5 inches
BF:~50%/23.9%/20%
Progress: 93%
Default How much water

How much water do you drink a day?

I know that while you are in ketosis, drinking lots of water helps flush out all the fat your body is burning. But now that I am no longer in ketosis, I feel like all that water is just making me feel bloated. I drink ~100-128 oz (up to 16 8oz glasses) of water a day.

Just curious if any of you in pre-maintenance or maintenance have found a need for a different amount of water than when you were in ketosis.

Thanks,
Cathy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-05-05, 17:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/185/150 Female 5 feet 4 in.
BF:
Progress: 53%

I think alot of people say you should drink half your weight in ounces. Therefore, you being 125 lbs. half that is around 65 oz. Maybe someone else can help with whether you are drinking too much or the right amount. I'm struggling to drink close to 100 which is what I need to be doing.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-07-05, 09:39

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi there! This is my first time posting in this forum (Maintenance), and had something to say here.

First, several new (controlled) studies have been done at top research institutions that debunk the myth that you need X ounces of water per day. They also found that caffeine does not make you dehydrated, despite what most folks say that coffee and cola don't count toward your X ounces of water per day.

That said, I now speak from my own experience. I've lost 40 pounds and, with a bit of bouncing up and down again, have maintained for years. Sure, I'd still like to get down another 10 pounds or so, but I still consider myself in maintenance.

A couple weeks ago (ok, so I'm in an "up" bounce right now), I decided to up the water to at least 80 ounces per day. I did this religiously for 2 full weeks.

Guess what. I've never felt so lousy! I was bloated and my belly was achy all the time. That, and I was constantly thirsty! I'm one of those people who get thirstier the more I drink.

I stopped all the water and went back to my normal coffee in the morning, green tea with lemon a couple times during the day, and a few glasses of this or that, and I feel much better. Within a day my belly wasn't as bloated.

Having done "the LC thing" for about 6 years now, I can honestly say the one thing that I've learned is that each of us is different, and we react differently to everything. You just have to find what works for YOU, and then stick with it.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-09-05, 07:57
Finding Balance

Thanks for the comments. For the past few days I have been drinking less water, 80-88oz from 120-128oz, and I feel a lot less bloated. I do think it is an individual thing, and I'll continue to keep track of it and see how I feel.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-09-05, 18:34
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm with BawdyWench. I think it's best to listen to your thirst. Don't overdo caffeine and artificial sweeteners in drinks, but I don't think we evolved chugging more water than our thirst tells us to. Imagine those caveman ancestors hunting and gathering, but only for breif moments when they didn't have their faces in the river, drinking 100+ ounces of water every day.

On a daily basis, I usually drink 2 or 3 20-oz pint glasses of water, plus coffee, tea, the occasional diet soda, etc.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-10-05, 08:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/138/135 Female 5'7"
BF:I did it!

Since being on maintenance I have dropped down my water intake considerably--mostly because I hated having to go to the bathroom all the time! During the weight-loss phase I was always on the lookout for an available restroom, or scheduling my drinks around what I had to do that day. It's a relief not to be on a first-name basis with all the restrooms in town any more!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-10-05, 10:14
Finding Balance

yes, I only went to the bathroom 3 times at work yesterday, compared to practically every hour before , what a PITA. It's nice not getting up multiple times in the middle of the night too.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-10-05, 10:19

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/187/158 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

i believe it might be 64 oz water a day. i drink usally 2 quarts of water . summer time 3 quarts/ sue
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-10-05, 10:44

Plan: Atkins~Modified
Stats: 173/173/145 Female 5' 6" and growing!
BF:26.6%/
Progress: 0%

Hi For Optimal health all you need is 64 ozs. of water a day. Water is good for many reasons. One main reason I think it that it keeps your skin and complextion healthy.
But, for someone that does not like water, or bloats from too much, I would say any amount that you could get in daily is good!

I drink an over abundance of water daily, and I will agree that there are some days that I feel like a bloated pig. But, they say that water eliminates the bloat, so just keep drinking it!

Good Luck to All
Brenda