Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 15:23

Plan: General
Stats: 200/200/170 Male 74
BF:
Progress: 0%

Mich Ultra tastes ok to me (kind of watery). However, I can't wait to get my hands on this:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/031014/detu028_1.html

New Belgian Import, Martens Low Carbohydrate, Offers Beer Drinkers Lowest Carbs, Better Taste

Tuesday October 14, 2:55 pm ET

LAS VEGAS, Oct. 14 /PRNewswire/ -- Millions of Americans following a low carbohydrate lifestyle will soon be able to enjoy an imported Belgian beer that has the lowest carb count of any other beer on the market. Martens Low Carbohydrate, brewed by Brouwerij Martens of Bocholt, Belgium and imported by Elite Brand Imports of Kalamazoo, MI was unveiled yesterday at the National Beer Wholesaler Association's (NBWA) 66th Annual Convention and Trade Show in Las Vegas, Nev.

Martens Low Carbohydrate contains only 2.1 grams of carbs per serving, the lowest carb count of any beer on the market. Martens is distinguished from other low-carb beers by its imported beer taste. Martens received rave reviews from both wholesalers and trade industry experts attending the NBWA trade show.

"The response to this beer has been incredible," said Rick Davis, Elite Brand Imports Vice President, Sales and Marketing. "Martens Low Carbohydrate has three huge selling points that quite frankly the other low-carb contenders just don't have. It's got fewer carbs than any other beer, it's imported from Belgium, and it tastes like a regular, higher-carb beer."

It's estimated that at least 24 million people nationwide have tried the low-carb lifestyle. Food and beverage marketers are quickly developing low carbohydrate alternatives to capture a portion of what promises to become a huge market.

"I've been doing the low-carb regimen myself for two years now," said Eric Marvin, Elite Brand Imports Marketing and Public Relations Manager. "It's more of a lifestyle than a diet, and it's serious business. For those who count carbs, the difference between Martens with 2.1 grams of carbs and Michelob with 2.6 grams is huge."

Marvin said the millions who have already adopted the low-carb lifestyle are desperate for low carb alternatives that offer the taste and quality of regular food and beverage products. "Some of the low-carb food and beverage products currently on the market either have the consistency of burlap or taste like heavily watered-down versions of what they're supposed to be. Those of us who get it right are going to dominate the market with our quality," Marvin said. "When people taste Martens Low Carbohydrate, they won't know they're drinking a low-carb beer unless they read the label."

Martens Low Carbohydrate is brewed and bottled in Bocholt, Belgium by Brouwerij Martens. Established in 1758, the brewery is one of the oldest in Belgium and brewmaster Fons Martens is the eighth generation of his family to carry forward the tradition of crafting Belgian beers. The market for Belgian beer has been experiencing very favorable growth over the past two years and during the first half of 2003 alone, demand for Belgian beers rose 17 percent.

Elite Brand Imports has already introduced Martens Low Carbohydrate to select on-premises locations throughout Michigan. The beer will be introduced to markets nationwide in both off- and on-premises outlets over the next several months.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 15:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/150/145 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 92%

Just tried Rolling Rock Light-Called Green Rock Light-Very tasty! Same carbs as Ultra.
  #63   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-03, 16:24

Stats: 235/145/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 86%
Default Rock Green Light

Rock Green Light brewed by the makers of Rolling Rock:

Here's the info off the bottle:

Calories: 91.4
Carbohydrates: 2.6 grams
Protein: 0.9 grams
Fat: 0 grams

Cheers!
  #64   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 15:53

Stats: 184/184/144
BF:
Progress: 0%

I've tried Sleemans Clear and Molson Ultra. I liked the Molson Ultra until I tried the Sleemans Clear. The Molson I found to taste more like water. If you like the taste of your beer though, I think the Sleemans is the way to go.
  #65   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 23:47
Registered Member

Stats: 345/222/215 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Amstel Light is one of the best tasting light beers and it has around 3.5 if I recall correctly. That being said, Mic Ultra is great when fresh, very crisp even if it is a light flavor
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 21:15
Lurking LowCarber

Stats: 203/182/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Related article:

Low-carb (low-taste) beers hit market
Dick Kreck

Denver Post
Jan. 28, 2004 12:00 AM

The beer industry has jumped on another fad: low-carbohydrate beers for all those fanatics on the Atkins and similar diets.

Rock Green Light, from the makers of Rolling Rock, is the second low-carb beer to hit the market. (Michelob Ultra was the first.) Coors will be along with its low-carb entry, Aspen Edge, in March.

Low-carb beers have touched a nerve. Rolling Rock brags that it shipped a million cases of its version, which contains 2.6 grams, in the first three months on the market.

The carbohydrates are cut by watering the beer or increasing the cooking time. The result: lost flavor. Rock Green Light is thin and watery and doesn't have much but flavor. But then, neither does its bigger brother, Rolling Rock.

If you're adding up grams, low-carb beers may make sense. But Bud Light has only 6.6 grams, so the savings are minimal.

But, as Homer Simpson said to Lisa, "Go ahead, play the blues if it'll make you feel better."
  #67   ^
Old Sat, Dec-04-04, 19:58

Stats: 226/187/160 Male 5'9"
BF:More/ than I /like
Progress: 59%

Well, I have to admit I'm not tempted... I learned a long time ago that one should never drink beer that one can see through, as you can't tell how many horses got to drink it first! (Ever wonder why Budweiser still keeps the Clydesdales around?)

I've reluctantly given up beer for now, as I define 'light' beer as something on the order of a Guinness. (I make darker stuff by choice ) However seeing as how Guinness is listed as not being THAT much higher than the horsey beers I may eventually try having one on occasion when I get closer to goal.

I do still have an occasional glass of fairly dry mead, again that I make myself from the honey out of my hive (I started beekeeping before doing L-C, and fresh from the hive comb is one of the things I miss the most )

I've been thinking about experimenting with making a really DRY mead (underfed champagne yeast can pull a brew down to about .096 specific gravity) and then adding sucralose or other non-fermentable artificial sweetener to bring it back up to a drinkable level of sweetness.

Does anyone know if there's a way to calculate the effective carbs of home brews?

Gooserider