Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 10:43
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Unhappy

hi Deb,

I've merged your post in with the original thread about water chestnut flour. Alas ... I did some math, and it appears that this great and amazing discovery is NOT as low-carb as some sources seem to suggest.

According to our carb counter tool, 100g raw chinese waterchestnuts have 23.94g carbs/ 3g fiber. And 73.46g WATER.

1/2 cup raw waterchestnut slices (not canned) has 14.84g carbs/ 1.86g fiber. So 1 cup would have a bit less than 26g effective carbs.

If you remove most of the water, that would leave less than 30g dry solids behind .. of which 23.94g is still going to be carbohydrate. The carbs don't disappear with the water

From the specialfoods.com page, comes the following info:
Quote:
There are about 1700 calories in one pound of water chestnut flour. The composition of the flour is approximately: 85.2% carbohydrate (387g), 6.7% protein, 1% fat, 2% fiber, 5% water, and 0.1% minerals.
So, 1 cup of the flour (which weighs 150g, as noted in Bebe's post above) .. would have 127g carbs

Just for comparison, one pound of all-purpose bleached wheat flour has 1652 calories, and 76% carbs (346g). And 11% water. Cornstarch has 1729 calories, 91.52% carbs (415g) and 8.32% water.

Doreen
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 12:30

Plan: atkins
Stats: 148/122/115
BF:
Progress: 79%

I'm so sorry

Doreen, should we delete this thread?

I feel responsible for this mistake, guys, I'm sorry.

Bebe
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 14:24
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by disneybebe
I'm so sorry

Doreen, should we delete this thread?

I feel responsible for this mistake, guys, I'm sorry.

Bebe
DON'T BE SORRY!!!

This is how we learn. We've had lots of "too good to be true" things show up. In fact, I should write to Low Carb Luxury and inform THEM that THEY are the ones posting the misleading carb counts on their website (and newsletter). I'd like to know where they got their information from.

Stay tuned dear heart, I'll find out, so we'll all know

Doreen
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 18:36
Forum Founder

BF:
Exclamation

Just a note to say that I did email lowcarbluxury.com ... and I'll keep us all posted.

Doreen
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 20:25
Forum Founder

BF:
Lightbulb

Well, the reply from lowcarbluxury.com doesn't explain if the count is higher or lower ... but they will remove the reference and description completely to prevent further confusion
Quote:
Doreen --

Thanks for taking the time to write. I'm just going to remove the review as it's caused too much confusion. There's a caveat at the end that explains there are two varieties, but have since seen they are often labeled for one another. I've had both for inspection. The one we reviewed is a grainy substance (rather like a mix of "notSugar" from Expert Foods, and vital wheat gluten). The other is more like cornstarch in consistency. One is the pure starch, the other is almost no starch. But imported products tend to be prone to mislabeling and several brands have been called "flour" when they were "starch" and vice versa. I've come to the conclusion that it's not worth the confusion it causes from time to time. Another thing to note, even the "starch", while being very high carb is also very powerful, and a small pinch thickens. So there'd be no need to use "a cup".

Again, I'll be removing it the review so people don't get confused or accidentally get the wrong product and derail their diet.

Have a great day, and thanks again for your letter.

Best Regards,

Lora Ruffner
Low Carb Luxury
http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/

Doreen T wrote:
>
> hello there,
>
> I'm the Administrator at Active LowCarber forums, http://forum.lowcarber.org > One of our members posted recently about waterchestnut flour, which she > discovered by reading your web page > http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/reviews-breads.html (it's the 15th item > down). The carb count sounded too good to be true to me... and indeed, a > check at the USDA shows that for 1/2 cup RAW waterchestnuts, the carb count
> is 14.8g minus 1.9g fiber. The count for canned waterchestnuts is a bit > lower, closer to the 8g effective carbs suggested in the write-up about the > flour, on your site.
>
> I have carefully reviewed as much information as I could find about this > product, and it appears that in fact, this product is MUCH higher in carbs > than bleached white wheat flour even :-( From specialfoods.com > http://www.specialfoods.com/waterchestnut.html , they show the carb count > for one pound of waterchestnut flour is 387g (85.2% of 1700 calories). It's > a bit less than potato or corn starch, which leads me to believe that this > count is indeed for the "flour" not the "starch" product. According to our > member, one cup = 150g of the flour ... so it would have 127g carbs ... and
> approx. 8g fiber.
>
> I would love to be wrong about this ;-) ... since I've used the product, and > enjoyed the results. Please, could you tell me your source for the carb > counts you've posted on your site, or at least direct me to a website or > book with the information??
>
> thanking you in advance,
>
> Doreen T.
>
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 23:11

BF:

Hi Doreen,

Thank u so much for taking the time & trouble to write to lowcarbluxury & then posting here.

Have a great day!

Bebe
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 06:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226/198/140
BF:
Progress: 33%
Unhappy darn!!!!!!

i just bought some yesterday to try next week!!! Now i'll have to throw it away. By the way i don't understand all the stuff about cups=this or that but i'm taking your work for it that it's not good.

Deb
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 07:43

BF:

Deb,

Please don't throw it away.

Maybe u can give it to a friend who isn't a LCer. I've tried using it as a breading & it was really crunchy & delicious. Even better than breadcrumbs......

Just a suggestion.

Have a good day, Deb

regards,
Bebe
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 07:46

BF:
Question would it be ok to use just a tiny dusting

and get similar results? I'd really like to try it still.

What does everyone think?

Deb
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 13:00
Forum Founder

BF:

hi Deb,

I think waterchestnut flour can still be useful. It works out to be approx. 7g net carbs per Tbsp, which is comparable to cornstarch or arrowroot flour. Of course it's too carby for Atkins Induction level, but for higher carb plans or later stages of Atkins, it could be an option for occasional use, just like any other starchy food -- bread, cereals, crackers etc.

Personally, I'm pleased to find a non-grain flour option, since I have intolerances to most grains, including corn. Bean flours are okay but they taste "beany", and soy flour leaves much to be desired.

According to Lora's email above, a small amount of waterchestnut flour can thicken very well, so yes, you can use it for that purpose.

I've read that a small amount of arrowroot powder can be added to flourless baked goods to "lighten" them, make it less dense and heavy. It's possible that waterchestnut flour would have the same quality.

So ... all is not lost Use the product in moderation, and I'm sure you'll be fine with it.

Doreen
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 10:29
Registered Member

Plan: sugar busters
Stats: 220/200/130
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hi All:

Thank you all for the great post about all the new ways to get a great LC crunchy coating...This can really be a change for the whole family!!!
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 11:43

BF:
Question did you read all the posts for this thread

Water chestnut flour is not at all low carb!!! I suggest you read all the previous replies back and forth on this before you use the product, otherwise you may want to blame someone here if it causes a stall or derails your plan.

Please read all previous posts on this subject.

deb
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 13:54
Registered Member

Stats: 321/280/225
BF:
Progress: 43%

Hello All,

I received my waterchestnut flour order, and it indeed turned out to be the starch. From the nutritional information on the box, the serving size is 3 Tbs (31 g) and the carb count is 27 g, or 9 g per Tbs. I agree that it is good to find an alternative non-grain product, and plan to use it in moderation, perhaps in combination with almond flour, for a variation in taste and a little extra "crunch."

It was certainly worth checking out, and also good to see the responses on the forum in clarifying the details of uses and carb count!
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 07:22
Forum Founder

BF:

hi froedrich,

Thankyou for posting the carb count for the starch! .. I had a difficult time finding information anywhere for either the starch or the flour product, and ended up having to do some rudimentary calculating with pen and paper

The flour is a bit less carby than the starch, since it's less refined, and has much of the protein and fiber content still in it. However, even fresh and raw, water chestnuts are relatively carby and high in starch.

I've gathered from reading some lowcarb sites that there seems to be a misunderstanding that waterchestnut flour has been "de-starched" somehow, and thus the carbs have been reduced. Everything I've read about this product from the manufacturers in Asia who make and distribute it .. indicates that the FLOUR is simply dehydrated water chestnuts, ground up (ie, nothing removed but water, therefore still a significant % carbohydrate). The STARCH has most of the protein, fat and fiber removed, thus is finer in texture .. and higher in carbs.

Doreen