Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, May-14-05, 23:02
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Sad to say that I cannot find the darn recipe. I *thought* I had saved it but it is no where to be found. It was a baked, spicy turnip fry recipe too. Dang.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, May-15-05, 06:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/185/150 Female 5 feet 4 in.
BF:
Progress: 53%

Are daikon turnip and daikon radish the same thing? I'll have to do a google search. The suggestion of mixed fries by Prof. Gumby sounds good. People can pick out the 'fries' they like. (Prof., then you can make rutabaga fries and let others eat them.) I buy them often since they're cheap. My favorite way to eat them is boil 'em and mash them with lots of butter and brown Sugar Twin.

[BTW, I'm working in Menominee once in a while during the school year on Mondays. Where's a good place to eat low carb? I won't tell you where I've been eating lately--definitely not low carb but it's cheap and with the gas prices....)
  #18   ^
Old Sun, May-15-05, 13:49

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Ya have to kind of hunt and peck to find low carb.

I really like the Emperors Buffet on HWY 41 (the old Big Boy Restaurant). There are many buffet items that are low carb, or low carb enough ( ) and they have a Mongolian Grill, where you can pick what you want them to cook and add your spices etc, and they fry it up in front of you. I usually take beef, pork and chicken add some shredded cabbage and sliced onion. For seasonings, lots of chopped Garlic, Hot pepper oil (light on the oil, heavy on the pepper flakes) and some brown sauce (light on that too) I will vary it up a bit and use broccoli, mushrooms, bean sprouts or shrimp depending on what they have in the bar. Sometimes I use the Teriaki instead of the Brown Sauce.

Subway...nuff said. Taco Bell, sans the shells. I just tuen em all out on one wrapper and use their spoonfork thing. Burger King, sans the fries and bun..... you get the idea.

In Marinette there is The Brothers 3, lots of menu items a low carber can eat. Same goes for Schloegels in Menominee. Perkins has enough stuff a LCer can eat as well.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, May-16-05, 03:52

BF:

I'm ashamed to say but I've only eaten at the Emperor's but not brave enuf to ask them to do the grill thing yet but I saw it happening once. Will be going today so may get up the nerve to ask them to do it for me. But, if not, I won't be coming back down there till Fall so if I eat the other 'carby' stuff today...no big deal. I definitely don't eat supper and I may gain a couple lbs. but go back to 'carb down' the rest of the week and lose that just fine. Thanks for your other suggestions.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, May-18-05, 10:26

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Daikon is a radish, not a turnip. If somebody said turnip it was a typo
  #21   ^
Old Wed, May-18-05, 10:55

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 326/289/170 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 24%

I saw in the Recipes section some folks use jicama to make fries. I have been wanting to try it myself...need to find a jicama.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, May-18-05, 10:59

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 326/289/170 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Did a search and found this info:

"Also called the yam bean root, jicama ranges in weight from a few ounces to 6 pounds. Its crispy white flesh is hidden under a fibrous dust-brown skin, which must be completely stripped off. Like potatoes, jicamas can be steamed, baked, boiled, mashed or fried. Unlike potatoes, however, they can also be eaten raw. Sliced into wide sticks, jicama makes a crunchy carrier for guacamole and highly seasoned dips. Cut up into squares, it enhances fresh fruit salad, absorbing and reflecting surrounding flavors. It is equally versatile as a cooked vegetable -- sauteed with carrots or green beans, stir-fried with chicken or shrimp, or simmered in savory stews. Low in starch and calories, jicama is satisfying, flavorful and nowhere near as strange as it looks."

Sounds good to me!
  #23   ^
Old Wed, May-18-05, 11:15

The local grocery store has Jicama but not daikon, so I guess I'll gave that one a whack....
  #24   ^
Old Wed, May-25-05, 17:22

BF:

Yeah, try a jicama. I've had nothing but jicama fries this week (along with my protein, of course). I cut mine into 'steak fry' size (like 3/4 in wide X 1/4 in thick X 4 in long) and cook them in the deep fryer for 8-10 min. My DH likes the 'bloomin' onion sauce' with his. These are pretty good when you get a hankering for something fried.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, May-29-05, 23:07

Default Tried the Jicama!

Man I really like Jicama fries!

I did notice a thing or two though...

Those are some hard veggies to peel!

You have to keep the oil good n hot and 8 to 10 minutes is about right.

I tried some like steak fries and some a little more like fast food sized fries, I like the thinner ones better.

I breaded some of the fries too, using a breading that is lower in carbs (but has trans fats, bad, bad Ralphy!)

I have to say I like em seasoned a little spicy and I liked the breaded ones better. I am going to try the breaded again, but use Atkins bake mix and season it with my fav spices. (Garlic powder and Emeril's south west seasoning) I will also use an egg wash too....

Thanks for the tip! And BTW, it is real hard to only eat a few fries! Atkins lists the Jicama at 2.5 net carbs for a 1/2 cup serving...okay I had prolly about 8 carbs worth of fries!
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Jun-04-05, 07:26

Stats: 215/167/165 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 96%

My favorite is celeriac or celery root. Sometimes it's hard to find -- I think it's still a seasonal vegetable and only available in the Fall and Winter.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Jun-29-05, 16:42

Plan: Atkins-like
Stats: 238/210/- Female 160 cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galliard
My favorite is celeriac or celery root. Sometimes it's hard to find -- I think it's still a seasonal vegetable and only available in the Fall and Winter.

Do you mean, you make fries from celery root? I love celery root (freshly shredded in a salad, or pieces in stews, if anybody wonders) but never tried to fry it. Does it fry well?
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Jun-29-05, 16:59

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%

I have recently tried celeriac for 'french fries' (we call them chips here ) and it worked a treat - they certainly look the part. I boiled them in water for 5 minutes first before deep frying them and the celery taste was all but gone.
Babs
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Oct-30-05, 20:47

Default Day 3 of 100 Day Cheat Free Challenge

Time to dig this thread back up!

Lately the local store has only had the most mutated looking, super sized Jicama I have ever seen. So, being a wee bit pricey and more than I could care to eat before it went bad, I have been avoiding the stuff.

Well, tonight I made southern style hash browns for the family, and diced up a turnip and did some for me. I used the same seasonings and ingredients, though I went much stronger with the seasoning in the turnips. Both had the respective main ingredient diced to 1/4 inch cubes. Both had diced Vidalia Onion and diced Red Bell Pepper. Seasonings were Garlic, Chili Powder, Seasoned Salt (Lawry's type stuff), Black Pepper, Emeril's Southwest Seasoning and a little Sea Salt.

Some thoughts, turnips taste like turnips. Though I find them much more palatable then a Rutabaga they did have a distinct taste. But they were pretty good, the texture was very much like a firm to the bite diced potato. The seasonings need to be tweaked to get a little spicier, I will probably add a diced Jalapeno or diced (Small) Chili Pepper next time as well as more Chili Powder and Garlic.

Speaking of Turnip Taste, of course after I started frying them, I did see a recipe here that said to soak the turnips in cream and water to remove some of the sharp taste, so I will try that with the next one a little down the road.

I am also intrigued about doing Chips (Fries) with them. I think they would stand up well to the Malt Vinegar.

I also make a dish for the family called Greek Fries. French Fries with A Greek Salad Dressing called "Yasou" sprinkled liberally over them and then tossing the fries in it with Parmesan Cheese and a heft squirt of fresh Lemon Juice. The Turnips if fried like Chips would stand up much better to the moisture of the dressing.

Dang! Now I'm gettin hungry again!!!

One thought, anyone know if you can freeze Jicama?
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Oct-31-05, 20:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfGumby

One thought, anyone know if you can freeze Jicama?

I see you have figured out a LOT of the practical issues!

I'll just throw in my two cents because I just LOVE 'homefries', especially with a Provencal style seasoning of rosemary, garlic, fresh black pepper, coarse salt and olive oil and then baked

... so I've found that the jicama, the daikon and the turnip all turn out reasonably well in flavor -- the jicama and the daikon keep their crispness for a long time (explains the long cooking time) and a presoak or a blanching helps them to 'soften' a bit before baking or frying and helps with the bite you get with the radish family) -- the jicama is especially resilient in the crisp department! This can be useful in a variety of dishes. The jicama is most like potato fries, you may have noticed they have a slight starchy taste like potatoes, in the raw...kind of like an 'apple-y' potato but not as starchy or as sweet as either...

As for freezing, I suspect that -- like almost any vegetable I can think of -- a good blanching beforehand makes a better (less mushy) frozen product.

Enjoy, eh?