Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 21:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 179/136/120
BF:
Progress: 73%
Cool Bec's gym journal

I am just starting BFL program and I am doing LC eating. Today I did my first 20min Cardio. I walked and sprinted (a little...lol). Did I ever get winded, I am so out of shape but not for long...<G>
I am not sure if I should do a practice run the rest of this week and start for reals on Monday. Any input? Does it matter? In the book it states I should do Cardio on T/TH/SA....already I didn't follow the rules....sigh. Should I do another cardio tomorrow?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 22:33
Registered Member

BF:

I did my first UBWO and boy did it kick my butt big time. It took me an hour to finish. I did 2 exercise per each muscle group (chest, shoulders, back, triceps an biceps). By the time I got down to my triceps...I was shaking so badly....so I did a lower weight. By the time I finish with Biceps.....I wanted to throw up. It took me at least 20mins to feel a little better....I am sorry but I must be a big wimp....I was almost in tears, I felt so awful. What should I have done?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 18:38

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

Bec,

It feels pretty bad when you first start out, but it does get better. One of the active exercisers here has a signature that says "Progress not perfection" That works great for the exercising.

What weight levels are you starting out with? Maybe you are starting at too high a level. I've been told you are actually better off at the start to use lower weights and concentrate on proper form. That way you learn to work the muscle groups properly and avoid hurting/straining yourself with more weight than you should be using. Also, make sure you drink plenty of water before, during and after workouts.

For the cardio..I get the distinct impression with BFL that the cardio days are really just filler-inner days..to keep you in an exercise routine. The real progress from BFL comes from the resistence training. So if you skipped a cardio, I personally wouldn't be worried about it.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 22:25
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for responding, Angela. I actually found out that I didn't do the workout correctly. I did two complete sets for each body part. I should have done one completed set and then on 12reps for the second set. Ooops, now I know...lol
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 23:31

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%

Hey there bec...don't worry about not getting it exactly right at first, be pleased with yourself for getting out there and doing something.

Your a lucky girl to be getting AngelaR in here. She's quite an inspiration.

You are doing great. Keep going and keep postin' about it.
Peace,
Bren
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-02, 08:44
Registered Member

BF:

Oh, thanks Bren for the encouragement
I did my 20min cardio today, walked around my pool/backyard. My chihuahuas even got a workout. They were chasing after me as I walked...lol
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-18-02, 04:13

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

Bec,
To answer the question you posted in my gym log....
Well I started out with 1, 3 and 5 pound weights. After a time you just feel it is time to go to a higher weight. You try it, and if it works you keep going with it. It just takes time.

I've also found that I can do much higher weights with on the lower body workouts than on the upper. For side raises, It's all I can do to finish a set with 3 pounds.

Do I understand correctly that you have a personal trainer? How often do you see him/her. Is it worth the time and expense? I'm pretty curious...I'm doing everything on my own from pictures in books and websites, and guessing by how I feel during an exercise. Having access to a PT would be a big bonus.

BTW, Nat shared these links with me early into my BFL program. They give a variety of exercises, and show videos on how to do them:

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html Lots of things to explore. If you click on muscle directory it will list muscles, then give exercises for them.

http://www.2-fit.com/video/index.html More videos arranged by muscle groups

How's your workout routine going?
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-18-02, 19:52
Registered Member

BF:

Angela, no I don't have a personal trainer. I have a physical therapist. I injured my back last year and it started to hurt again a month ago. So I am going back to him 3x/wk for 6 wks. Since my ortho doc and him.....kept telling me I have to start some form of exercise, esp: weight training....that's how I got into BFL.
I wish I had a personal trainer....that would be awesome
hugs~
Bec
Thanks for links, I am sure I will need them.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 19:19
Registered Member

BF:

did my cardio today, I walked and sprinted. I think I need to increase my intensity some....I don't feel like I am working out that hard. I am not as sore anymore and that is good. Yesterday after my LBWO....I was very sore and thought I wasn't going to be able to walk today...lol
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 23:25

Plan: low cal/low carb
Stats: 235.0/215.4/165 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 28%

Hi Bec!

I just started working out a month ago for the first time in my whole life and I thought I might offer some insight about muscle soreness:

It will be gone before you know it, and it won't come back!!

The only time it might come back is if you overdo the amount of weight you're lifting--then it's a sign you might want to reduce the weight a little. I tend to get some soreness after lower-body days if I increase the weight, but after you've been working out a little while (you don't have to believe me on this, but I feel this way!) the soreness is not painful, it's actually kind of a good feeling. Not pain, much more of the feeling you get after a really good stretch. So whatever you do, don't let muscle soreness worry you. It will be gone, and you will forget all about it!

And if you can't wait, a little ibuprofen, especially the Advil Liqui-gels are great. One of those, and you won't feel a thing in 20 minutes!

Best of luck to you!!!!
Kypraia
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 22:02
Registered Member

BF:

Kypraia, thank you so much for your advice. Since you just started also, how are you doing so far?

I did do my UBWO today and I am feeling a little sore but not that much. I actually think I got a pretty good workout for me. I like the "pump" feeling that I feel in my arms....lol...makes me feel strong. I was able to raise the amounts of wt a little bit.

hugs~
Bec
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 22:23

BF:

Hi Bec,

So glad you're not letting soreness stop you! In my first week of working out, my boyfriend and I had this little joke; I would say "oooh, my muscle cell hurts!" and now it's a month later and I'm already challenging him to arm wrestle me

Well, at first I have to admit I was going on pure adrenaline, definitely not physical strength! Since then I've increased the weight I've been lifting a little bit, and that makes me feel like I am making real progress. I started out using 5 lb weights for everything, and now I use 8 pounds for everything except my wrist muscles. I also use a cable machine and I do situps and stuff, but I've noticed that everything has gotten easier. It's much easier to do the exercises once you've become familiar with them and your form is good; you're not thinking while you're doing it, except to count the reps.

I'm not doing BFL, but I am trying to build muscle (not just make those long, lean muscles that women's magazines are always talking about--what's so wrong about a woman having muscles???) and to lose major weight, so my workout is geared toward that. I mainly try to find the exercises that I like, that don't make me dread my workout. Here's a good way to figure out what exercises you hate: do all of them, and whichever ones you leave to the end are the ones you should just nix altogether.

Well I hope you are starting to feel the benefits of working out!! It sounds like you're really starting to get into it. Just remember that you probably won't see visible results right away. Your body is shy and doesn't want to show off yet!

If you want to know what I'm up to, check out my journal under K--L.

Ciao, girl!
Kypraia
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 22:51

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default Hey there

Hi Bec!

Just letting you know that I'm reading, but you are doing great, so I don't have much to post. Keep up the great work.
Peace,
Brenda
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-02, 11:01
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for stopping by Kypraia and Brenda . All the support helps a lot!
I did my cardio today, walked for most of it except for about 5 minutes of very light jogging. Those are 9 & 10s for me...<g>. I am thinking of looking into buying a used treadmill as right now I walk/jog around my back yard/pool. Going around and around is making the inside of my feet rub against my shoe. I know I can probably walk around my neighborhood on Saturdays but during the week, I do my cardio at 4AM and don't want to do that alone. Will see don't know yet....I am trying to think of other things to do for cardio here at home.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-02, 13:05

BF:

Hi Bec!

I had a suggestion for cardio at home. I do an aerobics video and it takes very little space and no equipment except for a TV and VCR. I also dance which is even more fun and takes a little more space but involves music (very fun). If you don't want to make a lot of noise at 4 am, which is understandable, you can usually keep the aerobics video volume pretty low once you know the moves. I use Kathy Smith's Time-Saver Fat Burning Workout, which is hard at first (I'm very uncoordinated) but gets easier. Just be sure to have LOTS of water on hand.

Just an idea!
Keep it up, you're doing great!
Kyp.