Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-04, 18:50

Plan: CAD
Stats: 148/127.5/124 Female 5ft
BF:28%/25%/20
Progress: 85%
Unhappy ? Why do I crave salty things?

As I progress in this wol I find that after the cravings for sweets go away, I no longer want meat either. I tend to want things like doritoes or cheetos.

I don't even want the bread as much as the salt and spices. Is this cravings from a lack of salt from water weight loss? or is it MSG cravings? Any ideas. I don't know what to eat to satisfy it.

I felt sick today and that is what I am craving now. I may have some broth.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-04, 19:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/215/195 Male 68in
BF:
Progress:
Default salt and munchies

I have a salty tooth and yearn for salty munchies. I was never really a sugar person before. I think that a yearning for salt goes with many on low carb because of two main reasons: one is that you aren't getting that sweet taste and so the taste mechanisms go to salty, another is that the diet is diuretic and so your body is trying to hold onto water--this is what salt does.

The four tastes are sweet, salty, bitter, and sour. If you crave one of these and don't want to indulge, you can try to use one of the others. If you want to stop the salt craving, try bitter and/or sour.

I suggest you use a good grade of sea salt instead of regular salt. It has ocean minerals in it and is better for the system, also more satisfying and you can use less of it. Always put salt in your food before or during cooking so you can taste it. If you put salt on your plate you will have to use much more to get the same taste as if you put a little bit in during cooking becasue it dissolves. I would also learn to use sea veggies as a additive to food. Not that I believe in low salt diets.

One salty munchie, I do permit myself is pork rinds. This keeps me from any kind of carb-rich chip. Also use Atkins' receipe for cheese crackers, etc.

good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-15-04, 11:47

Plan: Plant-based
Stats: 200/168/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 53%

I don't know, Karen? I wouldn't think it was "water weight loss" b/c CAD doesn't work like Atkins does in that retrospect. I never got a big whoosh of water weight loss, my weight has been slow and steady. Have you been consuming something with msg in it? I would be careful with that b/c it can cause cravings from what I remember.

If I crave something like that I simply have it at my RM To me its not a big deal, if I want it; I have it. (Just within that hour.) I do always makes sure I am drinking plenty of water, even between meals b/c sometimes I think my body says "i am thirsty" and I misinterupt it, and think I am hungry for something. I grab some water and drink it and usually the idea of eating something goes away after about an hour
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-15-04, 12:58

Plan: Fat Flush Plan
Stats: 233/146/150 Female 5ft 8inches
BF:22%
Progress: 105%

craving salt can be a sign of adrenal stress....

just a thought.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-15-04, 13:41

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 233/192/145 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 47%

Iam not too sure why a person craves salt either, but I am one of them also. I love chips and nuts, anything salty. I can be just as bad with salt as I can with sweets.

I know in the Heller's book, they mention something like if you have cravings for sweets or salty foods like chips, then you are probably a carb addict, so guess it has something to do with us being carb addicts.

I wish I had an answer for you.. Hope you feel better. There is so many different viruses going around. I hope this is not one of them.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-15-04, 20:08

Plan: lowcarb hybrid
Stats: 185/150/144 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Yep, I'm a salty/crunchy person too. I had popcorn at my RM yesterday and it was great.