Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-18, 16:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 200/138/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 103%

Anyone else using one? We have a bunch of recipes I'll be copying over here as time allows until LCF shuts off the lights for the last time on June 1!

Meanwhile, it's my most-used appliance - hardcooked eggs, beans of all kinds (usually cook a pot of those once a week), made some AWESOME posole soup started with rock-hard frozen chicken thighs, and so much more.

AND there is supposedly a new one coming out soon which will go up to 15 psi, making it do-able for small-batch canning. There MAY also be a sous vide feature on that one, they're not really saying yet though.

I'll be first in line for one - I love to can things and this would let me do small amounts of things like leftover soups, stews, beans, vindaloo, curries etc.

Anyone else love this device as much as I do?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-18, 16:54

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Yup! Just used mine today for a quick roast. Sort of Mississippi style.

55 mins cook time 15 min QR and voila!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-18, 18:38
Registered Member

BF:

Gotta love it!

A couple times now, I've just taken frozen solid meat of one kind or another, stuck it in the IP with sauce and let 'er rip - makes short work of a pot of chile verde that way, as I often have cubed pork in the freezer (since we make our own sausage) - a jar of this and a can of that and presto change-o, chile verde!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-18, 20:13

Plan: EFGT
Stats: 240/140/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

I have one, because I apparently need every single kitchen gadget!

I don't use it much and am subscribing to this forum hoping to use it more.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-18, 20:14

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 208/155/140 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 78%

The IP is by far the best way to do hard boiled eggs, no gray ring around the yolk and they peel super easy. I've also done a few roasts and those came out great too. I tried to cook a whole chicken but it wasn't completely done so I had to finish it off in the oven (I was going to put it under the broiler for a few minutes anyway to crisp up the skin).

Haven't tried cooking any frozen meat yet, but it's good to know that's an option.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-18, 20:38

Plan: Modified
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

I love mine! I had been saying for awhile that I wanted one, and my cousin sent me one. I say she is my "IP Fairy"

Our favorite thing is to throw a bunch of chicken in it and shred it, then use it in various dishes like king ranch chicken (I know, not the healthiest, we make it about once a year), shredded tacos, etc. It's so easy!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-18, 21:19

Plan: High protein/HIIT
Stats: 234/197/174 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 62%

I love mine! I use it for all of the above, but mostly for making broth. I've been drinking broth or making soup pretty much every day. I usually put a whole chicken in and pressure cook for 45 minutes. I use the cooked chicken for one meal, and then put the carcass back in to slow cook for several hours. Then strain the broth and put in the fridge. I drink a cup of broth quite often as my first meal of the day. I also use it to make soup. Cream of anything soup. Or with coconut milk Thai style soup. The broth is always fatty and always gelatinous.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-18, 21:45
Registered Member

Plan: WW/Low(er)carb
Stats: 000/000/150 Female 5.6
BF:
Progress: 0%

That's how I make my broth. Cooking the whole chicken first gives the broth so much more flavor
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-18, 08:01
Registered Member

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 195/142/138 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 93%

I just cooked some brats in it the other day. I used the rack and put water (or beer) in the bottom. Cooked a package for 10 minutes. I did put a slit in them in case of explosions. I didn't brown them afterwards, but they were nice and juicy and quick!!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-18, 12:42
Registered Member

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 195/142/138 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Got some spare ribs and going to cook them in the instantpot. Will put a rub on both sides of the rack, then put the cooking rack and curl them around. Pour water/apple cider/touch of liquid smoke in and pressure on high for 25 minutes.

Preheat the broiler. Take the ribs out and brush barbecue sauce on them and broil for 5 minutes after putting them on a foil lined baking pan.

Let you know.

They were very tasty, but I do think putting them in the grill afterwards would be the way to really finish them off.

Last edited by CarolynF : Sat, Apr-07-18 at 17:03.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-18, 13:11
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 186/161/160 Female 5'8''
BF:
Progress: 96%

Made beef veggie soup yesterday. Put some cubed round steak I got on sale in the pot with some beef broth and cooked it for 30 minutes, then added the veggies for 5 minutes low pressure. Yummy. used celery, onion, baby carrots, kohlrabi, mushrooms, and broccoli.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-18, 13:16

Plan: Modified
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

I have pinto beans going in mine today!
I really do love this thing. So many things you can cook in it, as long as you have the imagination to do it.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-18, 14:11
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riatha
I have pinto beans going in mine today!
I really do love this thing. So many things you can cook in it, as long as you have the imagination to do it.

And honestly, you don't even need the imagination - there are countless websites devoted to IP recipes, lots of books on Amazon, etc.!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-18, 14:17
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

If you haven't cooked pork belly in an IP, you're really missing out on delish. I use chix broth and lots of asian spices plus a bit of aminos (soy sauce gives me migraine auras). Even bought a bag of whole star anise for it.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-18, 14:21
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
If you haven't cooked pork belly in an IP, you're really missing out on delish. I use chix broth and lots of asian spices plus a bit of aminos (soy sauce gives me migraine auras). Even bought a bag of whole star anise for it.

Oooooo, can you post the complete recipe for this? Having recently moved here, we discovered that the Costco here sells pork belly! The one where we came from did not.

Would love to try that out in the IP!