Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 13:42

Plan: Meat&Egg
Stats: 243/209.6/143 Female 5 feet 6
BF:38/?/22
Progress: 33%
Default Acrylamide in food

In a strange twist I got a cataloge from a Chemical company. One of the things in it is this write up,

Acrylamide is a toxic product used in the production of plastics, and has been shown to cause tumors in laboratory animals. It also causes DNA damage and neurological and reroductive effects have been observed at high doses. last year the Swedish National Food Administration published its concern regarding the high concentrations of acrylamide detected in foods processed at high temperatures. This discovery was particularly disturbing since the acrylamide-conaining foodstuffs includes products that are consumed on a regular basis at rather large quantities, such as POTATO CHIPS, FRENCH FRIES, ROAST POTATOES, BREAKFAST CEREALS and CRISP BREAD.

The article goes to present a ready to use kit for testing for acrylamides.

I am working in Quality Control/safety and health right now, I set up their msds system when I cut my finger off 3 years ago.( sub total amp) This book was addressed to me and this surprised me about my ex favorite foods. I wanted to share knowlege.

Diane
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 11:13
There and Back Again

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/194.4/140 Female 5'3"
BF:42%/42%/20%
Progress: 9%
Default Acrylamide

Here's something I had researched for another post:

For those of you who are interested in Acrylamide, here's a couple of interesting links from the FDA:

http://www.mindfully.org/Food/Acryl...s-FDA4dec02.htm

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/acrydat2.html

You'll find some traditionally low-carb foods like smoked almonds on there and a lot of "natural" foods that are high in acrylamide when processed.

Seems like particularly the processing of grains/nuts (as well as potatoes) adds a considerable amount of acrylamide.

Add to acrylamide trans fats and other toxic stuff, and it's amazing that all of us don't have chronic health issues and suffer from some sort of cancer.

It really is rather disturbing to note the amount of dangerous stuff stocked on our grocery shelves.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 17:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Exclamation