Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-13, 10:37

Plan: cabohydrate addict
Stats: 170/170/140 Female 64.8
BF:
Progress:
Default Need advice badly new just starting

My name is Niki I am new to low carb I read the Carbohydrate Addict book and it seems like a good plan for me. Only thing is I went to doc and my cholestrol and trig are up. Also I my a1c states I am pre diabetic. He wants me to get everything undercontrol so I started exercising and wanted to start a new eating plan. I was going to try this Carboydrate Addict however I like to have Oatmeal due to helping with cholestrol and some fruit in morning. Is this acceptiable I see oatmeal as a good thing any advice I also notice about the reward meal but I don't want to eat a reward meal in the morning I like to share meal time with family and save for evening but I just need a few carbs in the morning due to a heavy workout is this acceptable need advice. Also I don't want to get tired of eating just eggs eggs eggs. I would think that would wreak havoc with my choletrol numbers as well. Also what is RM, RL and accromynms that are being posted.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-13, 11:07

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Welcome nikib!

Unfortunately, many of your assumptions are outdated and/or wrong. Yes, oatmeal may lower cholesterol as compared to eating sugary cereals, but there are more effective ways to improve lipids. Here's a link to some very good up-to-date info, written by an MD:

www.diagnosisdiet.com/food/cholesterol

Another good source of information is www.dietdoctor.com

Have you looked into the south beach diet? Depending on how many carbs YOU can tolerate, you may find it more flexible. He does advocate a bit of fruit with heavy exercise - again, though, it is what your body can tolerate. Also, I often feed my husband a carny side dish and opt not to eat it.

Wishing you much success.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-13, 11:37

Plan: cabohydrate addict
Stats: 170/170/140 Female 64.8
BF:
Progress:

Liz53 as stated I am very new to this. I tried a eating plan before with primarly fruits and veggis and wholegrains and my numbers went down 50 points. I just was concerned about two much meat,fat and protein and lack of fiber. I believe fiber is good for many good reasons one is constipation and more so just wanted to understand more about what to eat so that I don't get bored and wreak havoc on my numbers that already up. Thanks for your reply.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-13, 12:21

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikip000
Liz53 as stated I am very new to this. I tried a eating plan before with primarly fruits and veggis and wholegrains and my numbers went down 50 points. I just was concerned about two much meat,fat and protein and lack of fiber. I believe fiber is good for many good reasons one is constipation and more so just wanted to understand more about what to eat so that I don't get bored and wreak havoc on my numbers that already up. Thanks for your reply.

Interesting. I had just the opposite experience as you when I dropped the grains and limited veggies and fiber. By eating MORE meat and fat, my cholesterol dropped from 240 to 180, HDL up from 60s to mid 90s, LDL from 130 to 80, trigs in the mid 40s (before and after). I don't know if you had time or interest in looking at the link I sent above, but she addresses all of your concerns somewhere on her site.

Again, all the best, I hope you find the right plan for you.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-13, 16:27
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi Niki-
have you ever done LC? THis is a lifestyle, not a diet. There is an area on this site for cholesterol and heart disease info and posts.
Oatmeal is actually a very poor way to reduce cholesterol. It is market hype by the manufacterers, and they now had to take it off the label.
The best way to reduce some of your lipids is to reduce your intake of carbs. You have already told me what you don't want to do. I am not going to try and convince you.
If you want to read more please read either of Gary Taubes books, watch the you tube called "SUGAR- THE BITTER TRUTH., or read any of the Atkins or Heller books. You say you got CAD- did youread it?
This website is fantastic for information - lots and lots of it if you spend some time looking.

You can have oatmeal and fruit every single day if you want- as your carb for RM on this plan. You can eat meat/fish/eggs/poultry for breakfast. WHatever you want.
good luck!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-13, 21:50

Plan: CAD/Gluten-free
Stats: 263/211/125 Female 62 inches (5'2")
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi Niki- I recommend those links too- it is very difficult to relearn the truth about carbs, animal fats and meat. But it's a good idea to try out a new viewpoint too. I like CAD because I enjoy fruits and other carb-rich foods- I also have those foods for my free meal in the morning. A long time ago when I did this diet I would eat my family dinner the next morning, or you make your family a low carb meal and everyone would benefit
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-13, 22:02
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You might want to read "Wheat Belly", excellent advice for heart disease risk and diabetes. The doctor who wrote it is a cardiologist.

I wish you the best!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-13, 07:33

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
Here's a link to some very good up-to-date info, written by an MD:

www.diagnosisdiet.com/food/cholesterol

Thank you for that link, Liz.
I hadn't come across it before, and it was a very clear explaination!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-11-13, 22:23

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Welcome to your new way of eating for life. IT is a journey. You will lean new information that flies in the face of most doctors. Usually the younger doctors get it. SO unless your doc is fresh out of med school , be prepared for some push back.

Oatmeal is a thing of the past. EVen my kids eat steel cut oats, not oatmeal, not even rolled oats.

You will need to decide what your current goal is. If you need to reduce a lot of body fat, then you need to consider staying vey low carb to move the wieght off. Ifyou want to just feel generally and genuinely better, than you can include a high number of low carb foods.

I travel between the two, but ALWAYS eat a fiber supplement. Our foods cannot provide all that we need so I use ground flax seeds and bran. I mix 1/4 cup in my flavored drink and suck it down with a straw. I also worked up to that amount-- start with 2 tsp a day, split over 2 servings to give you gut the chance to adapt. ANd do this BEFORE embarking on low carb so you body can adjust more easily.

I didn't have bad cholesterol level, about 195-200, now they run lower in the 170's. I eat a lot of meat. Beef. Chicken, Nathans hot dogs; lots of fats, butter, heavy cream. BUT remember this is still a low amount total as I am decreasing my body weight.

I have every intension of increasing my veg intake as there are dozens of different low carb and high carb foods that have special micronutirents that are vital for anti cancer and anti radical abilites. THese are not in a bottle of vitamins. At least not readily available as such.

Consider organic grass fed meats when ever possible. Much better nutrient profile. I eat my own eggs now from free ranging chickens.

Where I am now, took two years of small changes as I learned what was a better source of food.
Mushrooms, onions, nuts, legumes, flax, alfalfa sprouts, etc.

When I was diabetic because of my pregnancy, I learned to eat dinner for breakfast. I eat a lot of eggs, and I do get tired of them at 10 eggs a day. lol

Learn new recipes, include strong spices and herbs. Liven up your food.

Omlet
parsley, chives, thyme sauted in 2 T butter.3 eggs scrambled with a fork. ANd add parmesan cheese or an oz of cream cheese. Add a garlic clove when you are ready.

See I added veg to my breakfast with a little thought and planning.

Otherwise a chef salad has a hundred options for ingredients.

Relearn your foods. Other cultures have soup for breakfast-- so it is ok to change what you eat and when.

Good luck-- keep learning and KEEP TRYING to find what will work for you.