Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 15:24

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Pre-maintenance and maintenance

How many out there are in this phase or close? I give up on OWL, because I am basically pre-maintenance whether I like it or not! Of course I have hurt myself in my journey here because I don't have a clue as to how many carbs I can eat daily and still lose weight! So, I dusted off my fitday account and began recording again...going to have to work out a better eating plan! Anyhow, is there anyone out there at this stage??????? Ok, truthfully I am trying to get conversation going in a fresh thread since this question is different from the one Judy began!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 18:07

Plan: Generic LC
Stats: 212/157/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 71%

I've been maintaining about a year and a half. I have a five lb buffer which I more or less stay in. This WOL is life long, the goals simple change frome one thing to another.

Last edited by Bandito : Tue, Jul-19-05 at 18:11. Reason: wasn't done yet
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 18:22

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I've been on Maintenance for almost two years now. I usually monitor my weight once every two weeks. My weight has varied from 5 below to 3 above my goal.

I've learned what foods to avoid and which ones I can eat more of.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 18:29
7 yrs and counting!

Plan: Vegan/Crossfit
Stats: 285/212/199 Female 5'7
BF:33.4%
Progress: 85%

MissScruff....i can't be of much help here but i just wanted to stop and congratulate you on being so close to your goal...i can't wait until i'm in maintence....you look great!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 09:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159/141.7/130 Female 5'7"
BF: LOTS!
Progress: 60%

I've been maintining since May of this year -- and previously I had maintained for many years before I let my weight creep up again....

What I do now is weigh myself each and every morning (unless I'm on vacation) -- if I weigh 2 pounds over 130, I start cutting back on carbs/calories, maybe even work in some extra walking -- and so far it's working. I plan (should I really say, hope) to continue with this vigilance -- I think that a 2-pound gain is far, far easier to get back off than a 30-pound gain!

I recently went to Florida for around 10 days -- when I came back I weighed 133# -- immediately cut back and I've been maintaining at 130 plus/minus 1 pound since. The 3 pound gain could well have been water weight, but I wasn't taking any chances -- as I said before, it's really easy to get this small amount off!

P.S. -- I no longer "count" carbs, I simply know which foods work for me and which ones to avoid -- though I occasionally eat foods on the "do-not-eat" list (like when Mom made some pierogi!)...
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 09:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKM
I've been maintining since May of this year -- and previously I had maintained for many years before I let my weight creep up again....

What I do now is weigh myself each and every morning (unless I'm on vacation) -- if I weigh 2 pounds over 130, I start cutting back on carbs/calories, maybe even work in some extra walking -- and so far it's working. I plan (should I really say, hope) to continue with this vigilance -- I think that a 2-pound gain is far, far easier to get back off than a 30-pound gain!

I recently went to Florida for around 10 days -- when I came back I weighed 133# -- immediately cut back and I've been maintaining at 130 plus/minus 1 pound since. The 3 pound gain could well have been water weight, but I wasn't taking any chances -- as I said before, it's really easy to get this small amount off!

P.S. -- I no longer "count" carbs, I simply know which foods work for me and which ones to avoid -- though I occasionally eat foods on the "do-not-eat" list (like when Mom made some pierogi!)...

While I don't have a scale at the moment, by choice, I like the idea of weighing each morning and using that as a guage as to how to eat for the day! Right now I go to my parents and weigh once a week! I had to toss my scales because I was getting so upset when it didn't move or went up! Once my weight is maintained then I don't see weighing myself as a problem! Thanks!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 09:11

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
I've been on Maintenance for almost two years now. I usually monitor my weight once every two weeks. My weight has varied from 5 below to 3 above my goal.

I've learned what foods to avoid and which ones I can eat more of.

Thanks! And way to go for maintaining for two years! Since I screwed up with not doing OWL as I should have, I still have to find out what foods I need to avoid...well except for the obvious ones!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 09:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandito
I've been maintaining about a year and a half. I have a five lb buffer which I more or less stay in. This WOL is life long, the goals simple change frome one thing to another.

Thanks Bandito! And, congrats on keeping the weight off for 1.5 years! That is awesome! And, I agree...this WOE is for life!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 10:38

BF:

MsScruff, you have done well and I can deeply apreciate that amount of comitment you have to this WOL. Congradulations. Keeping it clean is the way I lost mine as well.

What BKM says holds true for me too. I try not to weigh daily though due to hormonal fluctuations. My weight will fluctuate 5-6lbs of water throuout the month. I occasionally weigh myself and take into concideration what part of the month it is. If I am a little high, then I need to pay closer attention and see it out. If I have been overindulging, then I do induction for two days to get the "water out" and if nothing happens then is back to OWL type eating for a few weeks (no goodies). I have only had to resort to that a couple times.

My eating style is basicly OWL with a few goodies exaples(88% chocolate, a little friut, ocasional homemade treats, occasional going out to eat)--all in moderation depending on how they affect me.

I hate living as though I am "dieting" or trying to loose weight (LC is my defalt, not diety). I am a totall foodie = LOVE to whip up mean LC recipes. Nothing that comes from a box and nothing labled Kraft and the like. I try to get away with as much as I can mostley friut and and a little going out to eat 2X month. 95% of the time I eat a very healthy LC diet. Although I do not count carbs on a regular basis, I occasionally spot check my diet and it works out to be between 15-60 or somewhere there about, and about 1800-2400 cal

Thats OK though. I only seem to run into trouble when I add whole grain complex carb bread. Who whould figure I would be better off eating a nice juicy pear/kiwi/apple/apricot/plum/berries/melon than a slice of stone ground whole grain though archaic rye bread (no wheat). Grain products were my downfall befor LC. I have to take an all grain products are evil approch (except when I go out to eat, and no to go boxes). At home I have LC bread which I make sanwhiches for my son. It is safer for me to have this in the house than regular (whole grain or not).
Over I keep my carbs low. My PCOS symptoms really flair up and I become irregular again if I don't.

What I meant about my goals changing when in maintenance is that I am STILL finding out what is right for me. It is a lifelong process as my body changes. Its like trying to live (eat) on auto pilot. (this is why I think mainenance is harder than loosing). Occasionally you steer off course. You learn and incorperate what you have learned. The new goal being applying what you have learned and living with that. For example keeping my paws off the LC bread. I have been working on that one for over a year. I do good for a while, then well, you know Or it could be to get out and walk the dog X # of days this week. Little things like that. Not massive dietary restrictions though. Basicly I work from my LC template, then modify and adjust when and where appropriate.

HTH,

Kristie aka Bandito

Last edited by Bandito : Wed, Jul-20-05 at 10:50.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 11:04

Kristie -- I am almost 61 years old -- NO hormal fluctuations to contend with -- so daily tracking works for me.

Isn't it funny how different we each are? I can eat Ezekiel's bread (a whole-grain, sprouted bread) -- have a sandwich about once a week -- and eat a slice of fresh bread at a restaurant (perhaps once every couple months). And I eat a lot of fruit (cherries, peaches, apples, watermelon....although I avoid bananas, pineapple, mangoes, and citrus, most anything else) and as long as I don't overdo it, I'm okay.

But I can't eat cashews (a guaranteed 1-2 pound gain the next day!). And I don't even try to eat white flour, sugar, etc. -- not only do I think they are unhealthy, I also no longer like the tastes. We tend to eat very simply -- grilled meat and a large salad is standard supper-fare -- and simply don't purchase prepared foods (expensive, unhealthy, and tastes bad!)....
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 11:52

BF:

Bonnie,

Wow! We have the same stats! I am soo envious about the bread. If I eat it, it's cravings galore and puffy water weight. I stay away from bananas, mangoes and other overly sweet things. I stay away from citrus as well except lemon and lime juice for cooking. I have no problem with nuts and peanut type nuts except if I eat large quantities.

I turned thirty in January so my hormones are cranking out big time. I have an odd ticking sound in my ears as well. It kinda sounds reminicent of a clock .

We eat a lot of simple grilled meats and steamed veggies and some spinache salads. Sometimes I dress it up though. last night is was grilled shrimp on a bed of broccoli smothered with a home made coconut curry sausce with ginger, peppers and onions. It was really hot here last night so we all had sugar free fudgecicles after dinner (treat food).

Your right, we are so induvidual. There is no one way to maintane. This WOL is so versitile in that you can modify it to suit your own needs. For instance Krissy would not do well and will loose weight with my eating style and I would would have out of control cravings on hers. Maintenance is all about finding what works for you. That why it is so hard to give advice in this forum. It turns into a personal journey of self discovery. We can offer personal insights, and there are general themes that hold true such as whole food is better than pre packeged. But in the end, you have to find your own way. I guess the best thing we can do is support each other.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 12:01
LC Bridezilla

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 122/99/105 Female 62 inches
BF:Who/Cares
Progress: 135%

I think that's where we are all the same...we all agree to eat fresh foods whenever possible and no white flour or sugar.

MissScruff, congrats and welcome. I personally find this to be the toughest part because it's not all spelled out like the loss part. We are all different and our bodies tolerate things differently. I can eat all the carbs I want and not gain weight, but it throws my hypoglycemia into play when I do...and if I stay away from added sugar, I'm fine.

I hope you find what works for you...it's not easy. But when you are there, whew, what a feeling!!! Congrats to all of us!!!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 12:15

Plan: Maintenance (PPLP)
Stats: 216/131/140 Female 5 feet, 5 inches
BF:48.79/21.19/23
Progress: 112%

I am definitely in the pre maintenance stage -- still would like to lose another 13 pounds or so, but my main priority is toning and increasing my LBM, so I am unsure what my ideal weight will actually be at this point. I only know that I am not quite "done" yet, but I'm close.

I don't know what my ideal carb level is either, but its time to find out.

My eating has been clean the whole way through, except for a daily LC tortilla, and I have enjoyed fruit from day one (both within my plan). I have, however, slacked off in keeping track and measuring stuff, and its crunch time now, LOL. Pre maintenance is different than the weight loss stage, and my body is different. Time to re-stablize!

The biggest issue I am dealing with right now is feeling a little lost as to what comes next. During my weight loss journey, I developed a routine, ate according to my hunger, knew pretty much what I could eat and couldn't eat, and the pounds basically just dropped off. Now, it is different, and I am finding myself having to experiment again to see what works. Lowering my protein, upping carbs, how much exercise is needed, etc. I feel like I did in the beginning, I'm just a heck of a lot healthier and smaller.

Six months ago, I faced a minimum of a 76 pound loss. Looking to the future was simply too overwhelming, so I took it day by day, one pound at a time. The shadow of 76 pounds has now turned to 7...and I've realized I am in shock that I'm almost done, I made it!! But.....what the heck do I focus on NOW? LOL
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 12:33

Plan: Maintenance (PPLP)
Stats: 216/131/140 Female 5 feet, 5 inches
BF:48.79/21.19/23
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryssiMc
I hope you find what works for you...it's not easy. But when you are there, whew, what a feeling!!! Congrats to all of us!!!

Kryssi, I have a question on this....from reading around, I know it takes some experimenting to find out what works for each individual to maintain, but does this actually stop? To a point that you just live happily on this WOL and no longer watch the scale or what you eat (within plan)?

I love this WOE, no desire to go backward. However, my biggest fear is that I am going to have to stay on top on my weight/size forever, which reminds me of the low fat dieting days -- and eventual failure.

On average, does anyone who has been maintaining for awhile see changes in their body making them adjust, or constantly struggle, in order to keep the weight off AFTER they have found their comfort carb level? Or do these struggles occur simply when one gets out of of control with "forbidden" foods?
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 13:10

I maintained from around 1994 to 2000 with no problem -- basically low-carbed but didn't really worry about anything -- but some major changes in my life occurred (divorce, and eventually a 2nd marriage) plus I wnet through menopause and was put on HRT (sudden gain) -- started watching my weight but couldn't grab control again, and I slowly crept up 30 pounds.

So I would guess that we can eventually get "comfortable" with our eating, but whenever we have a big change (menopause, new meds, life style) we may well need to jump in and watch our WOE carefully -- maybe even our requirements change during these events?

However, I so much like being slender, and I feel so much better, that I have no problem with being constantly vigilant!