Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-27-05, 14:45

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%
Default Has your goal wt changed?

Here I am, about 9 lbs from goal and wondering at this point if that "goal" is the one I want to stick with. Has/did your goal wt change along the way?

When I set my goal at 155 it was based on a few things: It was the highest amount I could weigh on the BMI scale and still be in the "healthy weight" range; I'd weighed that amount back in my Freshmen year of high school and recall looking pretty good at that point; I never really thought I'd see 155 so it was as good as any other number!

How did you KNOW when you'd lost "enough"? Has your goal changed along the way? If so...did it change up or down?

Thanks for any help you can give me!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-27-05, 15:00
Back to goal

Plan: Transitioning back to LC
Stats: 238/209.8/160 Female 66
BF:Sz18W+/12-14/6
Progress: 36%

My original goal weight wasn't really a weight but a size, which ended up being 160 lbs putting me in the same size I was at before I had gained weight (though 15 lbs heavier). I then changed it to 135 lbs (what I weighed in high school), but once I hit 139 I was really happy and decided to keep my goal weight at 140 lbs. Changing it depended on how I felt physically. When there were areas of my body I still wasn't happy with, I didn't worry about the number on scale any more, but concentrated on exercise instead.

#3   ^
Old Fri, May-27-05, 16:19

Plan: LC / breastfeeding
Stats: 230/194.5/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:30%
Progress: 44%

My goal weight is listed in my stats as 140, however, Like Tresor, my goal is a size 8, so whatever number the scale says at that point I assume will be my goal, and I highly doubt it will be 140. I am 193 today and wearing a size 12 pretty comfortably, sometimes a 14 if its a dress, or a few pairs of pants, but all my jeans and work clothes are a 12, so if at 193 I am a 12 I expect an 8 around the 160's...
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-27-05, 16:59

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

My original goal was 165. When I got to 175, I thought that my weight was fine and that I didn't need to lose any more; so I changed my goal to 175. Since then I have gradually lost 5 mor pounds.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-27-05, 18:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/174/155 Female 5'11"
BF:size 18/12-14/8
Progress: 67%

I also changed up my goal weight. It was originally 150 but once I hit a size 8 I finally called goal tho I was at 155 for a few months before that.

I find my body shape changing still. I just got into a size 6(same style as the 8's) and feel wonderful. I am losing a pound here and there and that's ok but I'm extrememly happy with where I'm at.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-28-05, 10:51

BF:

Thanks for sharing, y'all.

I started at a size 18 (some 16's) and thought it would be great if I ever saw a 12 again. I'd worn a 12 briefly in high school, but graduated at a size 14/16.

So here I am wearing 10's in most things...sometimes still 12's depending on style. I carry my excess in the belly so the shape of a garment is very important for fit. But I'm thinking now that it may actually be possible to wear a size 8 and so maybe I'd like to get there. I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and see how I feel/look when I get there!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-28-05, 13:43
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Quote:
How did you KNOW when you'd lost "enough"?

When I was back to a healthy weight for me, and the weight stopped coming off despite no change in eating. This was at about 135 - a much higher weight than I expected, relative to my actual size. My original goal was 125 lbs, but there's no way I could ever be that small again without losing all of my LBM (as I had on a low-fat starvation diet.) Been there, done that, ate the T-shirt. Never again.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-28-05, 16:25

Plan: Generic LC
Stats: 212/157/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 71%

My real goal weight is/was 125. I feel that I would look my best at that weight. My body likes 130-3 better. I changed my goal weight when I realized that I would have to eat much less than what satifies for me to get to 125. For me, depriving myself was not an option so I settled for 130. 130 is still a great weight for a person my height. I find myself eating for health more than I do for that last five lbs. So yes, my goal weight has changed.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-28-05, 21:01
Finding Balance

Plan: Atkins/PP Maint, IF24/24
Stats: 162/123/120 Female 63.5 inches
BF:~50%/23.9%/20%
Progress: 93%

I haven't changed my goal weight, but I'm also still not happy with my body. I don't really care so much about what the eventual weight will be, I care more about what I look like, how I feel and how my clothes fit me. That being said, I am still trying to work on things. I am currently wearing a size 8 jean, but only when they are low cut. If they sit at my waist I have to wear a 10, because the 8's are too tight and uncomfortable. I'd like to get into a smaller size jeans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellslyn
I find my body shape changing still. I just got into a size 6(same style as the 8's) and feel wonderful. I am losing a pound here and there and that's ok but I'm extrememly happy with where I'm at.
shellslyn...do you think your body changing shape is due to the continued WOE or do you exercise, or is it the combination? I'm wondering because my upper body looks pretty good, it is the lower body that still has lots of extra fat. I have heard that it can take a good amount of time for body fat to move around the body so that it is more evenly distributed, after a person loses weight/fat. I am trying to exercise, but haven't been consistent for any length of time.

Cathy
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-28-05, 21:18

Plan: Atkins-SB hybrid
Stats: 140/124/110 Female 5 ft.
BF:30%/23.5%/20%
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by treefrog
I am currently wearing a size 8 jean, but only when they are low cut. If they sit at my waist I have to wear a 10, because the 8's are too tight and uncomfortable.

i'm almost the opposite to you! If it's low-rise, I have to wear larger size than if it's "just below"...

and about the body changing shape... i don't think the "basic shape" changes... everything will *eventually* go proportionally... I too lose faster in my upper body than the lower part... but and when I'm losing weight, my pant size doesn't change. Only my arms (and unfortunately, the other upper part areas) get smaller. Only when my weight stabilize for a bit that my pant size begins to drop. I guess that's when the fat migrates north... (and then it always seems like my arms get a bit bigger as a result...)
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-28-05, 21:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/174/155 Female 5'11"
BF:size 18/12-14/8
Progress: 67%

Quote:
shellslyn...do you think your body changing shape is due to the continued WOE or do you exercise, or is it the combination? I'm wondering because my upper body looks pretty good, it is the lower body that still has lots of extra fat. I have heard that it can take a good amount of time for body fat to move around the body so that it is more evenly distributed, after a person loses weight/fat. I am trying to exercise, but haven't been consistent for any length of time.
I do nothing differently now then I did when I was in my weightloss stage(except for adding in more carbs maintaining) but my activity level is the same and I am, on the most part, a very clean eater (whole foods).

I don't exercise persay, my job the last couple years has been very physically demanding tho I look for that to change this next year because of a change in my job description. I work in a school so I have summers off and during the summers I do a lot of swimming exercising...laps, stretching, water exercising.

It is my lower body that is changing. I think it does have to do with fat distribution and skin shrinking back down.

One thing I have noticed with this WOE is that even when I was extremely thin(125 lbs, 5'11) I still had to wear large tops because I've always been broad through my shoulders. I'm actually able to wear many medium tops. I've no idea what the difference is, I know pant sizing is always changing and depends on the style, yet tops I've never noticed that with my body type.

It's actually been a very fun year, eating well, comfortable with my body and still seeing it change through the clothes I wear.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-29-05, 18:14

BF:

I think maybe my "issue" is more body shape/proportion than actual weight at this point. I've always carried my excess weight first in the belly. So now I'm looking pretty good everywhere else...but the belly's still right there staring at me! Also, lots of loose floppy skin in the under arm area. Other than that I'm really satisfied.

My hands and fingers are smaller than ever in my adult life. Can wear medium tops for the first time ever. Down to a size "A" bra, but you can't have everything! My measurements are so odd though...and I seem to be built like a teenage boy! I'm 35"-33"-38". How can a grown woman with children have that sort of measurements???
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-05, 21:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 265/265/200 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I just changed my goal weight from 210 to 200 pounds. The closer I get to goal I just felt that I wanted to take off the 10 more pounds. I may even change it again to 195 or 190. I just wait til I get to 200 and see how I feel.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-05, 07:05
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care
Progress: 100%

For me, I eat the same way I did when I was losing the last 30 pounds (generally in ketosis--it controls many symptoms for me) and my weight stopped dropping at 190--I originally had no stated goal weight. Actually I went hungry for awhile and was down to 180--ribs were showing, hip bones poking out dramatically--I realized how bad that was and went back to eating to satisfaction (duh? what ever got into me?!)--so about 190 is where I once again settled. The idea of a specific goal weight has always seemed a little odd to me--most of us, especially the ones with 100 pounds or more to lose, have no idea what we'll look or feel like at a certain weight, especially considering the flab factor involved. I know for me it had been so many years since I was at a close to ideal weight (I was about 12 years old the last time the yo-yo dipped that low ) that I had no idea what weight to shoot for.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-05, 10:03

Plan: atkins
Stats: -/-/- Female 64
BF:
Progress:

Originally I thought I needed to weigh what the charts said. Phooey with the charts! I've never been a small/thin person, why should I feel forced to get to a weight I've never been in my life? My weight is distributed everywhere, so I am able to carry more than some while still fitting into small clothes. We get too fixated on a number, now realizing that that may not actually be where our body wants us to be. We also think that we'll look "good" when we reach that weight. I'm pushing 50, have no elasticity and droop everywhere. Weighing what a model weighs is NOT going to give me the body/shape of a model. I am happy with me now. Blood sugars are good and I feel great. That's the true achievement. Not a number on the scale.