Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-17, 12:37

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Again, and as mentioned in the book, this is a very individualized type of supplement that will vary from person to person. It's worth while to experiment with different doses to find what's right.

Absolutely!

I've been using niacin for at least two years and have paused some of my other supplements while I try this therapeutic dose. The adverse effects have been tiny and fleeting, while the benefits happened quickly and are still accumulating.

I think any kind of supplementing should be done slowly and carefully and with a sensitive attention to any feedback our body gives us.

Don't fall for excessive detox claims.

So many times I see online that someone is trying a supplement or a vegan diet or an exercise regimen, and is suffering, miserable, exhausted; and someone else will be all "That's just detoxing!"

I do not think so. Just because bad clams causes my body to emit noxious stuff does not mean I had a bunch of noxious stuff in my body and the bad clams were good for me!

Serious detoxing is something to enlist medical help over. I know: DH did some heavy duty antibiotic therapy, and his Herxheimer reactions could be seriously uncomfortable. That's real detoxing, and it's nothing to do on our own.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-17, 11:47

BF:

Had an interesting incident; my husband took me out to dinner, and while I had a low carb meal, I had a low-sugar cocktail before and a single chocolate covered cherry, after; my version of a Valentine's blowout.

These are occasional things for me, and it does not give me much of a blip... until now. I had a sugar hangover all the next day!

I am thinking it's the niacin.

I'm feeling the sugar more, now. Like how I ate a bit of wheat occasionally the whole time I was low-carbing; a bite of someone's cheesecake, or a low carb wrap; really small amounts and never every day. And yet I felt the difference when I went gluten free. If I have the slightest amount now, after healing my digestive system, it upsets my stomach.

Maybe niacin is "tuning" my sugar handling. And now, I can feel what sugar does to me.
  #63   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-17, 09:58

Plan: RNY (small portions)
Stats: 306/225/120 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 44%

I wish that would happen to me! I only feel bad when I eat sugar too late in the evening, and I get the classic diabetic warning signs of dry mouth and having to pee all night long.

DH took a whole 500 mg Niacin tablet at supper last night. I think he was curious. He had the pins and needles flushing effect. I told him the flushing was what a hot flash was like. lol

I have scaled down the Niacin to 250 mg at morning and again at night, basically half a tablet each time. It seems small but I'm concerned that more will cause spotting, and it IS many times the recommended daily allowance. I am sleeping better, and as for how my inflammation is doing, it's hard to tell because of my hard working causing soreness. I guess the fact that I have the energy for it is a step in the right direction. I'm still experiencing heart racing occasionally which is concerning, but I get that sometimes on nothing at all.

Oh, a gentleman at church was sharing about his SAD and how hard he's finding the dark, cold time of year and how he had been able to stave it off with vit. D but was not having as much success this year, and I told him about Niacin. Don't know if he'll try it out or not, though.
  #64   ^
Old Sun, Feb-12-17, 10:36

BF:

OK here's something strange. That gentleman, I met by chance in front of the grocery store on Friday, and I reminded him to buy some Niacin. That's hand of God stuff happening there. He said, "Oh yeah! I was gonna do that!" He'd forgotten, and God put me right there at the right time to remind him. Whoa!

I took half yesterday morning and a whole tablet at supper and had NO FLUSH! Or nothing that I noticed, anyway, though, it was a very busy evening with the 2nd of our special February church meetings. DH came with me.
  #65   ^
Old Sun, Feb-12-17, 13:54

BF:

Good thing you were there, Sandy

I no longer flush, even though I am taking 3G. Occasionally a tingling, which lasts less than a minute.

I got through two days of heavy activity; and now three days to recover; which I hope will be enough Right now I feel the tiredness, but I did sleep well last night, and that's my best indicator of how I'm doing.

The most dramatic indicator of what niacin is doing for me is how it is making it so incredibly easy to eat low carb, doing a 4-6 eating window, and avoid any cravings or "peckish" feelings. I'm hungry, I eat something tasty and healthy, and then I don't think about food again for hours.

I lost that when I got sick. It's so nice to have it back again.
  #66   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-17, 09:00

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 136/118/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I had to stop taking the niacin for now. I think it is responsible for my very sore boobs! Gahhh! My bra size went up very quickly and I also developed a very bad knot of muscle pain in my upper back - I don't think I was drinking enough water... I did some research on it and the breast pain and muscle pain can be quite common if you are taking too much. Rats. I really liked how it made me feel before all of that junk started happening! haha
  #67   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-17, 09:05

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I'm staying steady at 200mg/day. That appears to be the right dose for me, as I can go through workouts without any fatigue that started when I exceeded 600mg/day. I still get a flush with my first dose of the day, and I look forward to that now.
  #68   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-17, 10:36

BF:

Thanks for the feedback, all. The book did say it can be a highly individual thing. I apparently need a LOT, at least right now, trying to recover from years of debilitating stress and illness.

Added back in my D3 and my K2 today since I do need those, especially now, in the middle of a snowstorm And I haven't had any tummy trouble, we'll see if I was reacting to the D or just dealing with the bug that was going around.
  #69   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-17, 10:55

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Added back in my D3 and my K2 today since I do need those,

Just curious - which kind of k2 do you take? I take MK4 and I LOVE it. MK7 didn't really seem to do much of anything for me, but the MK4 makes it possible for me to take the D3 (in which I was badly deficient) and (weird side effect) it makes my teeth feel clean! And I really think I feel old injuries being repaired. I definitely have less stiffness in my joints, particularly my fingers.
  #70   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-17, 12:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tess9132
Just curious - which kind of k2 do you take? I take MK4 and I LOVE it. MK7 didn't really seem to do much of anything for me, but the MK4 makes it possible for me to take the D3 (in which I was badly deficient) and (weird side effect) it makes my teeth feel clean! And I really think I feel old injuries being repaired. I definitely have less stiffness in my joints, particularly my fingers.

Here was an interesting explanation I got from my ND about D3, K2 and Vitamin A. She recommended that I take a combination of the three (all in 1 capsule) for bone health. She explained why in this way; The D3 needs K2 to create calcium, but it is the A that directs it to the bones! Otherwise, we just have calcium going all over the place, depositing where ever. The A is the key to getting it to the bones. Isn't that interesting?? I had never heard that before. I do take separate D3 at times though. PNW isn't known for it's excess sunshine!
  #71   ^
Old Tue, Feb-14-17, 09:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tess9132

Interesting, I just have a basic formula: NOW K2 with alfalfa

I will check out the different kinds when this bottle empties.

The D3 & K2 went on top of my lunch ok, I will do it again with A this time: I happen to have some.

Isn't it fascinating how differently we can react to different supplements? I know how badly I feel without them: I blame decades of low nutrition.
  #72   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-17, 07:25

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Isn't it fascinating how differently we can react to different supplements? I know how badly I feel without them: I blame decades of low nutrition.

Yes! I blame not only decades of bagels, but also 4 horrible pregnancies where I vomited around the clock. Mercifully, my kids were all born at least two months early, but I lost weight with each one of them. And with the first two I didn't really have the weight to lose. When my youngest was born, I weighed about 30 pounds less than I did when I got pregnant. Of course, after months of starving, my metabolism was shot and I regained all the weight and more pretty quickly.

When I began supplementing k2 and D3, I decided not to supplement A because I was concerned about overdosing on it. I do use Retinol on my face and I read stories about liver damage from too much A. Initially, I had decided to up my carrot intake which I probably did for a week or two, but then that fell to the wayside. I probably should consider some sort of A supplement, maybe on an every other day basis.

Those of you who supplement with A, what kind and how much do you use?
  #73   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-17, 08:20

BF:

Here is the brand that I was given - you might be able to find it cheaper somewhere else. The capsules are small and very easy to swallow. I was worried about the A too, and that's when she explained how it works: https://www.pureprescriptions.com/a...CFZJefgodWvUKDA
  #74   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-17, 06:00

BF:

That's fascinating that they bundled it together. And they say this is a short term therapy. Hmm.

One of the reasons I'm so willing to do niacin at this dose is that it is a water-soluble vitamin; less likely to create problems, won't build up to toxic levels. So I will take the AD3K2 combo of my own for a week, then coast.

I had a very busy two days, including a night away from home, and still trying to bounce back since I don't get a full weekend and I'm working the holiday. I do think I would be in worse shape without the niacin, though. I'm tired; not exhausted. Easily frustrated, but not ready to take an axe to the scenery. And creatively (I'm writing blogs) I can still function.

None of that was true before.
  #75   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-17, 09:27

BF:

I've stopped with the Niacin for a while. I didn't find it made much difference in anything, other than making me overly sleepy. Maybe it has a sedative effect, but I don't really need that and if I did I would have camomile tea instead. But my DD3 is continuing to use it. I guess she has a tiny bit of improvement in her mood and big improvement in her skin, but I still think she doesn't take enough. She's taking 500 mg at supper, and skips it accidentally sometimes.