Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-11, 20:04

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/210/125 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default weight watchers and lowcarb

i thought i posted on this somewhere but i cant find it. i know i need low carb, but ...... i am addicted to all foods, but carbs are the worst. i thought maybe if i did lowcarb but counted ww pts too, that might be the plan for me. is there anyone else out there that is doing this "type" of plan?? i need some support and i love this website. dont want to leave and go to a ww website and thell them i am doing lowcarb. i want to stay here. any and all suggestions and opinions positive or negative are welcome!! thanx.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-11, 20:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/PP/GI
Stats: 235/212.7/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%

willbthin, I am trying to fashion a similar plan for myself. I've tried WW in the past, but I don't do well long-term counting points, so then I've switched over to the Simply Filling/Core plan. I like that better, but for me the carb count is still too high. I feel the best on low-carb plans, so I'm trying to devise a plan along the lines of WW Simply Filling but perhaps try to keep more to the low glycemic foods, which are the less starchy foods. It's obvious I'm trying to find a WOE that I can stick to long-term. I'd be happy to compare notes.
Sharon
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-23-11, 09:31

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I have a plan that involves counting, but not WW points. The WW points are based on low-fat and don't work very well with low carb. You end up hungry because you don't get enough points to have enough fat and protein.

My counting is, I have a certain number of grams per day for protein, fat, and carb. Then I just count those. I love it and find it very workable.

Like for example, my protein grams per day are at least 60+ grams, just counting the high-quality animal protein (not the protein in veggies).
Carb grams are 55 net per day.
Fat grams are 60-90 per day.

Then I make them into smallish meals (a pain, but large meals make me not lose). I like to have the meals evened out so I don't get the overeating and buffet effect. (also a trigger)

So, for breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack, and dinner:

12-18 g protein
12 g net carb, all veggies okay, even starchy ones
15-25 g fat.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-11, 07:52

Plan: Less than 30 grams a day
Stats: 259/241/155 Female 69 inches
BF:Yes
Progress: 17%

I agree with shareli that WW's is almost the opposite of LCing and the points you're allowed are based on a low fat diet. Points disappear quickly when you're trying to eat enough fat.

I was still a WW's member when I started LC but I quickly realized that my points were almost gone by dinner and then I would stress out over the fact that I was out of points! So I quit the WW's and started only concentrating on fat, protein and carb counts.

I've recently gone back to counting calories too because I've been stalled and I have a very very slow metabolism and I have found that if I don't track my calories and only rely on feeling full, that I tend to eat too many calories so I'm counting them while I adjust them down a couple hundred per day.

So I can see where points can be a guide, but I dont' think they should be the rule to live by. Concentrate more on the amount of fat, protein and carbs you're taking in each day to make sure you're getting minimum healthy amounts of fat and protein.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-01-11, 23:19

Plan: Concentrate on Protein
Stats: 186.5/136.6/136.0 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 99%

The darndest thing happened to me. I was taking some pain medicine that stalled the weight loss, I went back to WW and last 2 days on it and started keeping track of carbs in the food diary I bought at the meeting. i missed the next 2 meetings due to a cold and a schedule conflict, then I just kept cutting the carbs till I started to lose. I found this website and I'm motivated on my own plus this website and the friendliness of the people. I wound up giving up all the grains and started to feel fantastic. You can check out my journal and see how I'm coming along. I'm new here and loving it. My advice is to forget the points. Keep us posted. myrt
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-13-11, 14:55

Plan: atkins diet
Stats: 200/201/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -2%

You can follow weight watchers and just keep your carbs low. The food choices you have are very wide so you can eat higher fat foods and just use your flexi points if you go over your daily points allowance. I'm going to rejoin ( like the meetings) and just follow south beach (which is close to the filling foods plan).
Sure, it can be done!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-16-11, 19:56

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

I tried this at the urging of my nutritionist. "Go on Weight Watchers for maintenance (after losing 60 lbs on Atkins)...it's better for you blah blah blah"

Well, it opened the carb floodgates and I gained 28 lbs.

I found it really hard to have enough to eat, low carb, on the number of points I was given. I was not satisfied and always searching for something acceptable to eat. YMMV.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-16-11, 20:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 283/188.8/155 Female 5'2"
BF:44%/27%/20%
Progress: 74%

Maybe just do LC but also log your food and count calories. I know WW has helped a lot of people, but a lot of people don't really know what they're eating aside from how many points. Decide what you want as far as you fat/carb/protein ratio and decide on a calorie limit (you could experiment and see what makes you stay them same weight and then cut that be a reasonable amount) and track on the tracking program on this website or a site like fitday.com. Good luck!!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-19-11, 11:44

Plan: LOOKING FOR A PLAN
Stats: 239/183/165 Female 5'9"
BF:Yes I have that
Progress: 76%

The newest WW plan points plus is really geared towards eating lower carb.
the stuff that used to be free that was high carb my example will be fiberone cereal is now 2 points, the only way I am able to count points on WW is to eat low carb (most of the proteins and fats have remained the same points)
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-20-11, 05:08
Registered Member

BF:

I know that I do better on lower carbs. I've tried WW, and although their new Points Plus plan is better, in my opinion, than the old plan because it also takes into account protein (vital to me!), I find myself thinking about food all the time. When watching carbs, I forget about food, but I miss fruits and dairy on low carb. I prefer following WW Simply Filling/Core because there's no point counting, but it's still too many carbs for me. I decided to try WW Simply Filling but severely limit starches (sugar, grains, potatoes). It's working great! Oh, and I found that Dr. Rob Thompson had already written about it, but he calls it the Glycemic Load Diet. I'm satisfied, not hungry, fats are not an issue, and it's oh-so-easy to stick to.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-22-11, 06:53

Shareli
How funny you mentioned the SFT, that's basically what I am doing.
And yes you are right it is oh so easy to stick with!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-23-11, 07:01
Registered Member

BF:

Rachel, how nice to know I'm not alone out here.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-23-11, 17:33

BF:

I posted on here April 2nd. Since then I got bored with no carbs from starchy items. I tried adding some back and got sick on trying a new flat bread that I found at WalMart. I could eat 1/2 of one but not a whole one. I'll get out my WW material from up on the top shelf and see if I can figure out what you're talking about. myrt
  #14   ^
Old Tue, May-24-11, 13:39

The new Simply Filling Plan is a little different from the other one, the daily rules have been eliminated.
Also some foods have changed but not a lot
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-26-11, 20:01

BF:

Rachael---I looked up the Simply Filling today and it seems like the foods that qualify are our basic foods that aren't processed. I personally think it would be too much trouble to do the WW points instead of counting carbs. Then again if one had it memorized it wouldn't be so bad. I had a nice grilled NY strip tonight and I hate to think how many points that would be but it's ZERO carbs. Losing weight is a mind game and whatever we can do and stay motivated is the name of the game isn't it? myrt