Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 06:21

Plan: CAD (Basically)
Stats: 175/154.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:lot/less/little
Progress: 59%
Question Does L-Carnatine work?

Hi folks:

I just ordered l-carnatine and was wondering if it'll really help me lose some weight. Has anyone taking it noticed a difference in their rate of loss?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 21:51

Plan: Protein Power (more or less)
Stats: 285/231/200 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default i'm not sure but . . .

Hi --
I don't know if l-carnitine alone will do much, but it does seem to be part of the larger puzzle of wright loss. Here are some excerpts from =Low Carb Living= by Fran McCullough:

"Every cell in your body has a little l-carnitine, a natural nutrient the body manufactures from sources such as red meat." She goes on to suggest that people deficient in l-carnitine are likely to be both fat and tired. "That's because without l-carnitine the cells . . . can't burn fat efficiently. If you don't have enought l-carnitine, no matter how strictly you diet you'll have a very hard time losing weight because the furnace just won't operate effectively." (p. 47)

Mind you, McCullough is a cookbook editor and food expert, not a doctor. But her analysis benefits from the advice of the Drs Eades, a husband-and-wife team who wrote =Protein Power=. I just got the Eades' book myself, and I am sure they go into more detail about l-carnitine.

But the point seems to be that there is no magic bullet -- l-carnitine will help, but we have to do our part with eating right and getting exercise.

Hope this helps --
RA Vimala
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 21:54

Plan: Protein Power (more or less)
Stats: 285/231/200 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default oops --

And I forgot one thing -- l-carnitine works best when taken in conjunction with the omega-3 fatty acid. Again, refer to McCullough, or better yet, the Dr.s Eades, for a more lucid explanation than I can offer --

Hope this helps -- RA Vimala
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-02, 05:35

Plan: CAD (Basically)
Stats: 175/154.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:lot/less/little
Progress: 59%
Thumbs up thanks

I started taking l-carnatine yesterday, so I'll let you know! I have been doing lo-carb for almost 2 weeks now and haven't lost an ounce. I went down to 164 and then right back up to 166. I'm hoping l-carnatine helps move things. (I already exercise and am a very active person, so I have that side of things covered.)

Here's hopin'!

Jeannie
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-02, 06:06

Plan: My own
Stats: 166/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 73%

I tried it, 3 - 500 mg. pills a day, along with CoQ10, 2 - 150 mg. a day.

I used them for about 2 weeks, with no effect on my weight loss. I am losing about a pound a week with or without the pills.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-02, 06:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 181/156/150
BF:
Progress: 81%

I took them several years ago and did think it helped by weight but had to stop taking them because I was getting sharp intestinal cramps. Didn't take them again for several months and then tried again but the cramps returned so I knew for sure it was the pills. Just thought I would share.

Karin